R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, transatlanticsubway said:

The problem with open gangway is that if one car smells, the smell will eventually project into all the other cars, lol 

According to people who have ridden open gangway trains in Toronto and across Europe, this actually isn't a problem since the open gangway actually allows for more fresh air to enter the affected car.

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

According to people who have ridden open gangway trains in Toronto and across Europe, this actually isn't a problem since the open gangway actually allows for more fresh air to enter the affected car.

Well, then maybe I'm just overthinking it, haha :D Hope to see significant progress soon 

On 1/26/2020 at 4:19 AM, Around the Horn said:

make sense because you hv more ac units (2 vs 10) to handle the smell lol

On 1/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, Yankees4life said:

I do wonder if we'll get a CBTC Rockaway line in the cards when these guys come around...

The Rockaway Line is supposed to be completely rebuilt in the 2025-2029 and 2030-2034 programs, and since the line will likely be fully closed for repairs, it would make sense to get the work done then.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, Union Tpke said:

The Rockaway Line is supposed to be completely rebuilt in the 2025-2029 and 2030-2034 programs, and since the line will likely be fully closed for repairs, it would make sense to get the work done then.

The stations have all been rehabilitated recently, so would this "complete rebuild" only apply to the track and signal infrastructure?

Edited by P3F

• 2 weeks later...

Not a very informative post but:

I saw the pictures from Kawasaki. These are hands down going to become among my favorite railcars. I've never been exicted for any of the NTTs but this looks awesome. Looking forward to the open gangways. 

Is there any chance that Jamaica will be the first in line to get them? 

10 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Not a very informative post but:

I saw the pictures from Kawasaki. These are hands down going to become among my favorite railcars. I've never been exicted for any of the NTTs but this looks awesome. Looking forward to the open gangways. 

Is there any chance that Jamaica will be the first in line to get them? 

i think pitkin will get them first for the (A) and Jamaica would get the 2nd half for the (E)(F)(R)

Im hoping they stick to that, CI should not get alot of these cars, Only enough to put them on the (Q)

31 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

i think pitkin will get them first for the (A) and Jamaica would get the 2nd half for the (E)(F)(R)

Im hoping they stick to that, CI should not get alot of these cars, Only enough to put them on the (Q)

Definitely agree that this is the likely plan.

Edited by darkstar8983

On 2/13/2020 at 1:15 AM, Jemorie said:

Why can't the (N)(W) get them though?

they don't need them imo, they got new cars when the R160's were brand new. the (A)(C)(E)(F)(R)(Q) need em alot more esp the (E)(F). those large doors would help with dwell times. but CI would get a decent chunk of cars too. if anything the (D) should get some too.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:45 AM, R32 3838 said:

they don't need them imo, they got new cars when the R160's were brand new. the (A)(C)(E)(F)(R)(Q) need em alot more esp the (E)(F). those large doors would help with dwell times. but CI would get a decent chunk of cars too. if anything the (D) should get some too.

40 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Other than the (Q) I don't see any CI lines needing them like the (A) or (E)(F) do. 

So in other words, most or all of the R160s currently at Jamaica will head back to CI once the R211s get here? Do you guys realize how much time and money spent on this swap thing would be wasted then? I swear in all honestly this current ongoing car fleet swap between JAM and CI is sorta a joke for this very reason then, especially since CBTC on Queens Blvd will not be fully online till at most 5 years later as we already saw previously with Canarise CBTC and Flushing CBTC. At least the R62As on the (6) will stay there for a while until sometime in the 2030s.

Not saying that the (A)(E)(F) can't get the R211s though.

Edited by Jemorie

18 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

I swear in all honestly this current ongoing car fleet swap between JAM and CI is sorta a joke for this very reason then, especially since CBTC on Queens Blvd will not be fully online till at most 5 years later as we already saw previously with Canarise CBTC and Flushing CBTC.

CBTC starts this summer... It will be in phases with full completion in 2022.

In any event, I would not rule out a straight replacement of R46s on the (N)(Q)(W) with R211s just yet. The R160 Siemens units ending up long term somewhere other than Coney Island and Jamaica is also a possibility.

I don’t Know where anyone got this idea that the (E)(F) and (R) is getting R211’s. Stop it. It’s ok to speculate and make educated guesses. But to banter and carry on as such is very much exhausting. I will say this; as an Employee I can surely, and 100 percent vouch that Jamaica yard is NOT sending R160’s back to Coney Island when R211’s arrive. The R211’s are Replacing R46’s and remaining R32’s NOT the R160’s. 

Edited by VIP

7 hours ago, VIP said:

I don’t Know where anyone got this idea that the (E)(F) and (R) is getting R211’s. Stop it. It’s ok to speculate and make educated guesses. But to banter and carry on as such is very much exhausting. I will say this; as an Employee I can surely, and 100 percent vouch that Jamaica yard is NOT sending R160’s back to Coney Island when R211’s arrive. The R211’s are Replacing R46’s and remaining R32’s NOT the R160’s. 

dude do you see how big those doors are, Its very obvious they're getting them and they were always planned to get them.  why in the f**k would they not give Jamaica these cars knowing queens has the highest ridership. these will come with CBTC on board and in the (MTA) board meeting they did say the (E) is getting these as well as the (A) and (C) and in the future the (N)(W)  (Astoria CBTC) along with the (Q) would get em as well.

those R160's are going back once those R211's are coming in.

the Question is would Jamaica get the Base order or the option order?

nobody speculating, You're just talking out of your ass again

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

dude do you see how big those doors are, Its very obvious they're getting them and they were always planned to get them.  why in the f**k would they not give Jamaica these cars knowing queens has the highest ridership. these will come with CBTC on board and in the (MTA) board meeting they did say the (E) is getting these as well as the (A) and (C) and in the future the (N)(W)  (Astoria CBTC) along with the (Q) would get em as well.

those R160's are going back once those R211's are coming in.

the Question is would Jamaica get the Base order or the option order?

nobody speculating, You're just talking out of your ass again

So it’s YOU starting this rumor. Just because the cars have wider doors and a line has heavy ridership, doesn’t necessarily make a line a definite contender. Jamaica just got a surplus of R160’s for Queens Boulevard CBTC. It’s bad enough Queens Boulevard has two different CBTC companies... why would Transit put R211’s there when the priority is to REPLACE R46’s and the remaining R32’s?! Who cares about them board meetings. Thats all pre planning and hypothetical information. It’s a meeting not a contractual agreement.