R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

So? Just because other lines have gotten NTTs does not mean the whole system should be. That will only be as soon as last of the SMEEs retire for good. The subway in general is a people mover, not a wealthy mansion.

And those R46s are not as great as you seem to think they are, especially at age 45.

True, but the r46's are still needed in the B division and they need to go somewhere between now and the day that the last r46 is retired, which is still a few years from now and if the MTA decides to keep the r46's on the A, F, N, Q, R, W until the r211's, then riders on those lines will have to deal with them.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

I've ride the R46s, It is becoming much like R32s and R42s, it is suffering from a mechanical problems and it is falling apart, i'm paying more for a shittier ride consistently thanks to the fleet swap between Coney Island Yard and Jamaica. It takes a Hour from Queensboro plaza to Ditmars blvd where i live.

The Astoria line is very unreliable especially during off peak and subway car fleet is not the culprit. Even with the r160's they were unreliable.

6 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

To launch CBTC, Remember how long it took for you guys to upgrade the (7). It will encounter the same or Worse delays because of the complexity of the job, So the R160s should be sent back to the (N)(Q)(W) until it's fully ready and by then the new R211s will already be here. 

CBTC operation literally starts in a few weeks on the express tracks.

12 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The Astoria line is very unreliable especially during off peak and subway car fleet is not the culprit. Even with the r160's they were unreliable.

Astoria Lines always had been Slow as f**k because Signals were f**king Old and the Elevated Structure which are both originally from 1930's, that's there should be CBTC on Astoria Line.

On 2/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

However, the MTA said in last months board meeting that 8th Avenue CBTC will only be compatible with r179's and r211's, which means that the E will get the r211's since it runs on 8th Avenue.

I didn't even finish page 60 of this thread and all this bs about moving all R160s out of Jamaica because R160s can't use the CBTC on 8th av has me like:538.jpg

16 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

so that means (N)(Q)(W) will be 100% Crappy R46s that is falling apart, Thanks A LOT MTA for Getting Rid of New R160s Trains from (N)(Q)(W) Line, Astoria and Upper East Side residents, get ready for more of these mechanical problems because the MTA decided to give us R46s from the 1970s that are literally falling apart badly. To launch CBTC, Remember how long it took for you guys to upgrade the (7). It will encounter the same or Worse delays because of the complexity of the job, So the R160s should be sent back to the (N)(Q)(W) until it's fully ready and by then the new R211s will already be here. The standard should be the newest trains like R211s in Jamaica Yards, The failed design from the older cars like r46s, R68s, R44s and R32s needs to go. You want to regress or progress MTA? Can’t wait to pay more for a shittier ride consistently! that is why Astoria and Upper East Side Residents would like us to know why we now are subject to their failures? smh. 🤦‍♂️

You literally say the same thing over and over , complaining about nonsense , it’s really not that deep like come on , these are literally just trains , trains at that that actually perform decently

12 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

I've ride the R46s, It is becoming much like R32s and R42s, it is suffering from a mechanical problems and it is falling apart, i'm paying more for a shittier ride consistently thanks to the fleet swap between Coney Island Yard and Jamaica. It takes a Hour from Queensboro plaza to Ditmars blvd where i live.

You just lied your ass off 😂

Edited by Maxwell179

9 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

Astoria Lines always had been Slow as f**k because Signals were f**king Old and the Elevated Structure which are both originally from 1930's, that's there should be CBTC on Astoria Line.

Absolutely not. What Astoria and Broadway need is a deinterlining scheme to unclog arteries and make infrequent train lines more frequent. This can be done with it without new train cars.

Edited by JeremiahC99

18 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

Come on now! Even if the trains crawled between Queensboro and Ditmars, there is no way it takes an hour to get between those two stations. There would have to be some kind of unforeseen circumstance, such as extreme (and I mean, extreme!weather, a person on the tracks or a power failure, to cause such extensive delays on the (N)(W) in Queens. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

7 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Come on now! Even if the trains crawled between Queensboro and Ditmars, there is no way it takes an hour to get between those two stations. There would have to be some kind of unforeseen circumstance, such as extreme (and I mean, extreme!weather, a person on the tracks or a power failure, to cause such extensive delays on the (N)(W) in Queens. 

He must be thinking about the (N) to Coney Island from QBP...:lol:

7 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Absolutely not. What Astoria and Broadway need is a deinterlining scheme to unclog arteries and make infrequent train lines more frequent. This can be done with it without new train cars.

Isn't the Astoria terminal pretty low capacity? And hasn't the MTA only kept the absolute minimum amount of cars on hand?

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It takes him an hour because he's one of those people walking along the tracks causing the delays. 

17 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

Ditmars Blvd is a shitty terminal and has been for a long time. Given that it can only turn around about 14 TPH, yet handles more than that. It’s track layout also makes it a bad terminal. With CBTC and Deinterlining, this issue should mitigate itself a little. 

Im not sure what the infrastructure has to do with Astoria being a shitty line though.

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It's an exaggeration.

The N/W are very slow subway lines and it has nothing to do with the type of subway car. It's been unreliable with the slants, r68's, r160's and r46's

Fortunately, the MTA is planning to install CBTC on the Astoria line, so hopefully that would help increase frequency and perhaps speed on the N/W.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Isn't the Astoria terminal pretty low capacity? And hasn't the MTA only kept the absolute minimum amount of cars on hand?

I’m planning to have Astoria Line service at 12 trains per hour to accommodate the constraints at both Whitehall and at Ditmars. Essentially, what I plan for the meanwhile is that using the existing track infrastructure in Queens, the (N) goes to 96th Street, (W) service in Astoria expanded, and (R) continue to service the Queens Blvd Line to maintain the yard access. All three services would be increased from 8 trains to 12 trains per hour, and (Q) service would be increased from 10 trains to 12 trains, pending improvements at DeKalb Avenue. 

The end goal is to reroute all Broadway local service to Astoria, which is a move I support, but that may have to wait until new yard facilities are found, but even then, the (R) will now have one less merge to deal with, improving efficiency.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I’m planning to have Astoria Line service at 12 trains per hour to accommodate the constraints at both Whitehall and at Ditmars. Essentially, what I plan for the meanwhile is that using the existing track infrastructure in Queens, the (N) goes to 96th Street, (W) service in Astoria expanded, and (R) continue to service the Queens Blvd Line to maintain the yard access. All three services would be increased from 8 trains to 12 trains per hour, and (Q) service would be increased from 10 trains to 12 trains, pending improvements at DeKalb Avenue. 

The end goal is to reroute all Broadway local service to Astoria, which is a move I support, but that may have to wait until new yard facilities are found, but even then, the (R) will now have one less merge to deal with, improving efficiency.

But why cant (R) trains use 30th St yard?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

But why cant (R) trains use 30th St yard?

First off, not to be nit picky, but that yard is called the 36th-38th Street Yard.

That’s also an option, but I’m not sure when they will begin the planned conversion to passenger space. However, that option will remain open. In addition, I would also recommend extending the line over 31st Street to the Con-Ed plant, where a brand new train yard would be made to house extra trains. Also at the other end, there would be a small storage yard (akin to 137th Street Yard) along with one new station at 101st Street to allow for more train storage, though this location would leave trains vulnerable to vandalism.

A connection between the Broadway Line and the Fulton Street Line (using the existing provisions) would allow for Broadway Line access to the existing Pitkin Yards and allow for better service in Central Brooklyn and Southwest Queens (ozone park and the Rockaways). A second connection between the Fulton Line and the Jamaica El (also using existing provisions) would allow for the second Broadway Local service to use the East NY Yards, plus open up new travel options for Jamaica riders, plus improved service for Bay Ridge and Sunset Park riders. However, this is all long term.

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

First off, not to be nit picky, but that yard is called the 36th-38th Street Yard.

That’s also an option, but I’m not sure when they will begin the planned conversion to passenger space. However, that option will remain open. In addition, I would also recommend extending the line over 31st Street to the Con-Ed plant, where a brand new train yard would be made to house extra trains. Also at the other end, there would be a small storage yard (akin to 137th Street Yard) along with one new station at 101st Street to allow for more train storage, though this location would leave trains vulnerable to vandalism.

I don’t really see why we need an extension of the (R) past 95th... the distance is walkable and there is plenty of storage along the (R) already if it is sent to Astoria- Astoria middle, 86th relay, Whitehall, city hall lower, etc.

3 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I don’t really see why we need an extension of the (R) past 95th... 

The provisions are already there for tail tracks south of 95th (and depending on who you listen to, the tunnel supposedly extends further south already)

I believe he just wants to create storage tracks like Hudson Yards or 96/2 not a revenue extension.

41 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I don’t really see why we need an extension of the (R) past 95th... the distance is walkable and there is plenty of storage along the (R) already if it is sent to Astoria- Astoria middle, 86th relay, Whitehall, city hall lower, etc.

36 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The provisions are already there for tail tracks south of 95th (and depending on who you listen to, the tunnel supposedly extends further south already)

I believe he just wants to create storage tracks like Hudson Yards or 96/2 not a revenue extension.

A revenue extension could be possible too, but I wanted the extension to increase turnaround capacity in Bay Ridge and possible storage tracks.

7 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I can confirm that the tracks extend to 101st, but they have a wall blocking the tracks right after 95st. Those tracks were supposed to continue onto Staten Island but that never came into fruition. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I can confirm that the tracks extend to 101st, but they have a wall blocking the tracks right after 95st. Those tracks were supposed to continue onto Staten Island but that never came into fruition. 

Thats something that always bothered me....Why the (MTA) didnt extend that or some kind of service to Staten Island...

8 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Thats something that always bothered me....Why the (MTA) didnt extend that or some kind of service to Staten Island...

The problems started well before the MTA even became a thing. Simply put, there were competing interests and/or a lack of capital. At this point, we'd either need a grand vision from people who plan to fund any such development or to simply give up on the idea.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

The problems started well before the MTA even became a thing. Simply put, there were competing interests and/or a lack of capital. At this point, we'd either need a grand vision from people who plan to fund any such development or to simply give up on the idea.

To follow up on what you're saying, check out this link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/nyregion/staten-island-subway-dreams.html