The Official Systematic Merger: NYCT/MTA Bus

East New York

Q14 was merged in 2010 as Q15A.

As for Q48, MTA did not existed in 1940 (it came to be in 1968) This was under CNYBOT (City of New York Board of Transportation)

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Technically the Q14 was replaced, not merged.

As far as the Q48, I should have said the BOT rather than the MTA, because they are the successors. You don't have it quite right so I will explain this one a bit in detail. The Q48 was one of the first route to fall under city management in 1947. The route itself was created in 1940. NYCTA was created in March of 1953 to replace the CNYBOT. However, it's still basically the same agency with a new name.

In 1962 MaBSTOA was created as a subsidiary of NYCTA until they merged together in 1981. The MTA was already created as a legal entity to operate and oversee transit services. When the MTA "name" came to be in 1968.

Many don't know that the MTA was actually created in 1965 as the MCTA to operate Long Island Railroad. In 1968, the MCTA was tapped to take over Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, oversee the full operations of the NYCTA DOB, NYCTA RTO, and MaBSTOA. On that day they dropped the "C" from their name and continued on as simply MTA.

Whenever I say MTA, I'm referring to any service owned/operated by the City or State of New York for general purposes from 1940 through now. However, what I said still applies because when the NYCTA had been running the route for years. MTA just became the parent company. Nothing actually changed except rank and file. So it was still technically one of the first routes that MTA developed for Queens under the MTA watch. The line was developed more in the 60''s from what it was when North Shore ran it.

Edited by East New York

• 2 months later...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would the design of the new fare boxes for the New York City Transit Authority, the MaBSTOA, and the previous private bus companies be like the existing ones that are there?

My random guess would be that its a new design that can support the new smartcard system, so probably something like the fareboxes in Washington DC...

hqdefault.jpg

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...