Would a Flatlands Avenue el ever work?

YungMarxian

Just as the title says. Assuming money was no issue, would it be reasonable to suggest extending (L) service down Flatlands? That area is pretty underservered.

For an el, you would have to completely redesign both E. 105 and Rockaway Pkwy as they are on street level. Plus with both the B6 and B82 with local and limited (soon with SBS on the 82) service running along Flatlands to Ralph Av, its served well enough.

If you talking about the other direction, then E. 105 & Rockaway Pkwy would be abandoned or made into a spur for it to head in the other direction. Canarsie residents would not stand for that, bad enough they have to take a bus to the train.

For an el, you would have to completely redesign both E. 105 and Rockaway Pkwy as they are on street level. Plus with both the B6 and B82 with local and limited (soon with SBS on the 82) service running along Flatlands to Ralph Av, its served well enough.

If you talking about the other direction, then E. 105 & Rockaway Pkwy would be abandoned or made into a spur for it to head in the other direction. Canarsie residents would not stand for that, bad enough they have to take a bus to the train.

Exactly, that one would never work.

Only way you could change that would be to make 105 and Rockaway Parkway elevated (which would obviously open up the street they currently sit on to traffic) and that includes connecting such to the yard there.  THEN you can think about any extensions that way going south.

Oh yeah, I was talking about extending it past Rockaway parkway. Station redesign and reconstruction would take a while I'm sure. And I forgot about the B82 SBS!

If you were to extend the (L) west, the Bay Ridge Branch would be the most likely option in any case.

Isn't that used for freight trains?

Exactly, that one would never work.

Only way you could change that would be to make 105 and Rockaway Parkway elevated (which would obviously open up the street they currently sit on to traffic) and that includes connecting such to the yard there.  THEN you can think about any extensions that way going south.

Yeah. Exactly what I thought after reading what Fresh Pond said.

Thanks for the quick and concise answers guys.

Oh yeah, I was talking about extending it past Rockaway parkway. Station redesign and reconstruction would take a while I'm sure. And I forgot about the B82 SBS!

Isn't that used for freight trains?

Yeah. Exactly what I thought after reading what Fresh Pond said.

Thanks for the quick and concise answers guys.

The RX is wide enough for four tracks in places, and right now only 1-2 tracks are in service.

Archived