How would you go about servicing LGA aside from buses?

YungMarxian

As the title says. I think the easiest and cheapest non-bus solution would be light-rail, but I know the MTA loves talking about one seat travel which is why some connection to the Astoria line makes most sense. I've also thought of a line that originates from the Corona yard and meets up with the (7) at Hunters Point although that seems kind of awkward and would require a transfer to get to Brooklyn. Also, how would you facilitate a one seat ride to the Bronx? The (7) offshoot could go via Randall's Island, I guess. Anyway, would love to hear ideas since I love making and looking at fantasy maps.

As the title says. I think the easiest and cheapest non-bus solution would be light-rail, but I know the MTA loves talking about one seat travel which is why some connection to the Astoria line makes most sense. I've also thought of a line that originates from the Corona yard and meets up with the (7) at Hunters Point although that seems kind of awkward and would require a transfer to get to Brooklyn. Also, how would you facilitate a one seat ride to the Bronx? The (7) offshoot could go via Randall's Island, I guess. Anyway, would love to hear ideas since I love making and looking at fantasy maps.

The simplest idea on paper and the hardest to implement because of NIMBYs is the (N) to LGA. But its still the best option...

The simplest idea on paper and the hardest to implement because of NIMBYs is the (N) to LGA. But its still the best option...

Yeah they really killed a lot of cool ideas.

Airtain from Astoria Blvd (N), running down the Grand Central Parkway to the Airport.

Light rail following the path to the Q70 is easiest.

Yeah I was thinking if you wanted to cover all bases, airtrain light rail over the M60 SBS, Q70, Q72, and Q48.

@bobtehpanda

I'm new to the forum and can't figure out how to DM you (if that's even an option). I just checked out your maps online and they're great! I noticed an error on your map (not the 10 minute one). You have the terminal of your  (5) service in the Bronx labelled as  (6). Small error. Love the design though, clears up a lot of text that makes the current map feel crowded. 

EASY but because of nimbys idc about bowing to them the (N) to lgauardia will be built!

also how would it run on a map?

I'd have one track split off after Astoria Blvd and ride along either Ditmars or Grand Central Parkway. After the LGA station it would lead out to a small yard for storage. The (N) would continue service to Astoria Ditmars and the (W) service would be recovered from Whitehall to LGA. It would use all of the space in the new LGA yard along with some space in the CI yard if needed. If this was the real deal I'd also include some capital to make a provision to Astoria Ditmars that would allow for future expansion of the Astoria line to the Bronx.

Can't really ride along the GCP as the planes lading approach is along there. If you notice at a certain point, the street lights are lower for a bit.

Any extension over there would more than likely be underground

Then I guess Ditmars? Or maybe bore a tunnel under GCP and have the track go down as steep as needed/reasonably possible to reach the GCP tube.

• 2 weeks later...

Extend the N straight up 31st St to 20 Av where it would swing east and run along 19 Av.  Keep in mind this would all have to be elevated.  Down 19 Av until you hit the green space/park (it's not really a park) at 45 St where a portal would be built and then run underground straight to the Central Terminal (possibly with a station for the Marine Air Terminal so that riders from the surrounding neighborhood could actually use it.  The elevated portion of the line would only run along 2 city blocks of residences; all others along the route would be industrial.  This would impact the LEAST number of people out of any other proposal.

Additionally, and almost as important, the ConEd land where the train would turn east is vacant and would be used for a new yard.  This would allow R trains to return to Astoria and have a yard/shops out of which to operate.  This would reduce trains merging in Manhattan and speed up service along the entire Broadway Line.

Then I guess Ditmars? Or maybe bore a tunnel under GCP and have the track go down as steep as needed/reasonably possible to reach the GCP tube.

I think the (N) or (W) (if it gets revived) should just go underground at Broadway then go underground via GCP and then on weekends have trains only service Astoria.

There are literally no places where the elevated subway has room to go underground anyway on that line.

The only viable option which would include a subway link would be the one post where it's extended to 19th Ave and turn right into the vacant land by Riker's entrance and go underground from there.

Extend the N straight up 31st St to 20 Av where it would swing east and run along 19 Av.  Keep in mind this would all have to be elevated.  Down 19 Av until you hit the green space/park (it's not really a park) at 45 St where a portal would be built and then run underground straight to the Central Terminal (possibly with a station for the Marine Air Terminal so that riders from the surrounding neighborhood could actually use it.  The elevated portion of the line would only run along 2 city blocks of residences; all others along the route would be industrial.  This would impact the LEAST number of people out of any other proposal.

Additionally, and almost as important, the ConEd land where the train would turn east is vacant and would be used for a new yard.  This would allow R trains to return to Astoria and have a yard/shops out of which to operate.  This would reduce trains merging in Manhattan and speed up service along the entire Broadway Line.

I actually like this idea, but you're still going to deal with the NIMBY people around 31st St & 21st Av. But if you are going to return the (R) back to Astoria, than what is going to go to the QBL?

I actually like this idea, but you're still going to deal with the NIMBY people around 31st St & 21st Av. But if you are going to return the (R) back to Astoria, than what is going to go to the QBL?

Not to mention the (R) loses direct yard access. Which is why the (N) was taken off QBL and the (R) was sent there way back when.

You people need to read.

In fact I don't mind this as long as you bring back the (W). Either way it works fine, but the (W) needs to come back. Now if we can only build a new tunnel underneath the East River to relieve crowding in the 60th Street Tunnel along with the new Queens Boulevard Super Express that will be perfect.

i would tunnel bore from airport to main street flushing on the (7). bored and complete the section before rearranging the mezzanine( escalators, stairs etc) at main street.after completed, shut down one side of station and readjust the stairs escalators. make a connection there to the track. I leave the middle track alone so the express train can terminate their instead of going to airport. After that side is complete go the other side and readjust and connect the track as well. There you go. that my way i see it can be done. 

i would tunnel bore from airport to main street flushing on the (7). bored and complete the section before rearranging the mezzanine( escalators, stairs etc) at main street.after completed, shut down one side of station and readjust the stairs escalators. make a connection there to the track. I leave the middle track alone so the express train can terminate their instead of going to airport. After that side is complete go the other side and readjust and connect the track as well. There you go. that my way i see it can be done. 

That would be a crappy trip to/from the airport. The public’s opinion of Cuomo’s very similar plan wasn’t that high either.

What if they built an airtrain from Wills Point (Possibly above the Corona Yard) it would head West till 114th Street follow along West 114th Street till Ditmas Boulevard and enter the airport at the 23rd ave entrance.  It is not in any approach paths and if they used one similar to JFK it would not be that disruptive to the residence around it.

Light rail following the path to the Q70 is easiest.

My thoughts exactly.....

This way you have access to five subway lines rather than just one line (N train extension, 7 train light rail).

With a connection to the Woodside LIRR, you have easier access for people coming from Penn Station (West Side) and Long Island.

You make it easier for people from different parts of the city to get to the airport.

N train like it used to. In fact you could send the N train through the 63rd St tunnel to avoid the local/express switch at 57th St which would free up space in the 60th St tunnel so that more R/W trains could run.  That is the ideal Broadway-Astoria and Broadway-Queens Blvd routing in terms of efficiency.  The Achilles heel, unfortunately, would that riders on the Lexington Ave line would lose the transfer to Queens Blvd at 59th St and this would force riders to transfer at 51st which is already kind of a shit show.

There are no perfect options unfortunately.

Archived