Diagnosing the ails of each line/service/station.

YungMarxian

I've been trying to compile every complaint about each and every line in the MTA but I can't figure it all out. My purpose is so that a meaningful fantasy map can be drawn. Not a "wew let's draw lines wherever I feel!" map but one that would actually be worth putting the money and labor into implementing.

I'll update this as new comments are made (and quote you, obviously) and I'll start off with what I ride.

IRT 42nd Street Shuttle

IRT Broadway-Seventh Avenue

IRT Dyre Avenue

IRT Eastern Parkway

IRT Flushing

IRT Jerome Avenue

IRT Lenox Avenue

IRT New Lots

IRT Nostrand Avenue

IRT Pelham

IRT White Plains

BMT Fourth Avenue

BMT 63rd Street (not used!!)

BMT Archer Avenue

BMT Astoria

BMT Brighton

BMT Broadway

BMT Canarsie

BMT Franklin Avenue

BMT Jamaica

BMT Myrtle Avenue

BMT Nassau Street

BMT Sea Beach

BMT West End- 

"No major problems. The West End's regular service, the (D), doesn't get overcrowded but it still gets pretty packed during both the AM and PM rush. This isn't an issue unless something on the Fourth Avenue line or further up lines creates a delay. Also, during the dead cold of the winter, the R68's occasionally discharge at 9th Avenue (that's the worst) and 36th Street. Not sure if this is more of a West End/Fourth Avenue issue or a Concourse yard issue. If the Broad St-Montague Tube connection ever gets repaired, maybe I'd run either the (J) or (Z) to run West End Express to ensure that delays don't clog up the West End, but this might have crowding effects on the Fourth Avenue line." -YungMarxian

IND Second Avenue (not yet!!)

IND Sixth Avenue

IND Eight Avenue

IND 63rd Street

IND Archer Avenue

IND Concourse

IND Crosstown

IND Culver

IND Fulton Street

IND Queens Boulevard

IND Rockaway

The Second Avenue Line will be part of the IND? Isn't it part of the (Q) ?

The Second Avenue Line is an IND line built by the MTA (which continues to use the IND label for brand new lines), connected to the BMT Broadway Line by the 63rd St Line. The (Q) is simply a service - the (Q) has a history of being run on the IND 6th Avenue Line and some plans even called for it to go up Central Park West (though that obviously is not the case today).

the only real issues with your mention of the return of Nassau-West End Service is that the Z does not run as much as most people think it does.

Yeah. I think the (J) might be a better fit. Unless you mean Nassau-West End service will badly impact nassau timing.

IND 8 av- too many times express runs uptown. Also other (A) should at least go to riverdale

That seems like it's because the (A) originates from two, sometimes three different places in queens. I always wondered why they don't hand off Lefferts to the (C). Also, lengthening the longest line seems like a tall order to me. I was thinking originate another service at 125th (lots of cross tracks) and use cars from the 174th yard. bring that to riverdale and maybe even make a cross bronx?? I'm not too well learned in the Bronx though.

Archived