New combination 2/5 strip maps demo'ed!

Eric B

Apparently, they're actually proposing and demonstrating a hybrid (2)(5) strip map, nearly identical to the one I made for my signature! (It lines the common stations up together, unlike the first one someone isplayed here, where ach line had its own copy of each station).

I wonder if someone sent my idea in to them. I had intended to send it in via Employee Suggestion Form, but the online verion on TENS doesn't work from home anymore, and it was a matter of having to mail one on the old way, or take time to use TENS at work somewhere, if possible. 

Since a decision or proposal had been made before I got the chance, I'm so glad it is like the one I came up with.12299200_10156409009940226_687583881452212307932_10204308468786929_2151342870987

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty much the same thing; they just keep it all within one line width; half (2), half (5), where I have one or the other line take the whole guage where it runs solo, and the other line leave the guage to run around. (Again, they just forced it all into the same guage). Yeah, I think mine's is slightly clearer, but this one is close enough for me! (Don't know how much more of a difference it would really make for others). Also, they have the Dyre branch at the end, where I tucked it in between. I think their way might be clearer there.

(Don't know why the topic double-posted).

I noticed that too at Barclays Center, it's actually helpful and your signature (notice that there're 2 Gun Hill Rd Stations and Pelham Pkwy) since the (2)(5) are almost identical in the Bronx and Brooklyn

Also, there is notice on the (2)(5), on one of the cars for example:

"This set is assigned to the #5 train, Please Ensure that electronic Strip Maps are turned off if operated as a #2 train"

I think that may be more confusing...

They should go with the design that you have in your signature, cause thats more sensible and readable.

I'm pretty sure it has to be like that to conform with the Vignelli-era design standards. Strip maps must have the names angled at 45 degrees on the top, with transfers at the bottom.

I like the addition of late night (N) service at Borough hall, and the map just makes it at the 64 dot limit (yes I am just realizing it). The maps definitely need to be updated now, especially the (2) maps. I'd say the (6) need an updated map like the (4), but there are only so many maps to be updated after the R188 conversion. Can't wait for this map to become a reality.

They should just retrofit the cars on the 2/5 pool with FINDs and get it over with.

We already know that will never happen. It's very expensive to take the very first NTTS out of service just to get rid of the strip maps and put find in it. That's part of the reason why the new and old R188s were kept with strip maps instead of FINDs alongside the fact that the R188s are for the (7) only.

I'm pretty sure it has to be like that to conform with the Vignelli-era design standards. Strip maps must have the names angled at 45 degrees on the top, with transfers at the bottom.

Eh, they don't really have to conform with much of what Vignelli called for anymore. Believe me, I wish they did, but they could print these however they wanted to. There are endless errors and design language mistakes in the modern system that break from the Unimark coding. The manual is updated every few years anyway--hence whey the letters in bullets increased size, Helvetica was normalized, etc. 

We already know that will never happen. It's very expensive to take the very first NTTS out of service just to get rid of the strip maps and put find in it. That's part of the reason why the new and old R188s were kept with strip maps instead of FINDs alongside the fact that the R188s are for the (7) only.

The ONLY reason they kept the stripmaps is because they're ONLY for the (7)

If it wasn't for the R142As being converted into R188s, I'm pretty sure the (MTA) would havd not bothered putting strip maps on the (7), and instead put FIND in those cars.

All A Division lines have # cars assigned to a # line, so a FIND wouldn't be needed

If it wasn't for the R142As being converted into R188s, I'm pretty sure the (MTA) would havd not bothered putting strip maps on the (7), and instead put FIND in those cars.

It would be a total waste as the order is specifically for the (7). Where else could the line go during reroutes?

Archived