Bottlenecks

Jcb

The IRT junction in Brooklyn is the worst, given that the (2), (3), (4), (5) all serve busy corridors but run lower capacity trains than the B Division. A Dekalb Ave style rebuilding with a flying junction would probably increase capacity in practice by 20 percent or more.

the J/M at Myrtle ave. They need a better way route the M. Its kinda annoying being on a J train held up by a M that needs to make soo many track changes.

It's not even a lot of track changes. It's literally one switch and that track crosses the other two. There's only ONE way to route the (M) as by the time it gets to Brooklyn, it' already near the end of its route. The (J), which will be travelling further out, requires that little bit of express service. Frankly, I'd extend that express service to Broadway Junction and run the (Z) as the local during rush hours.

Canal St (A)(C)(E). Most annoying when I operate. 

I've mentioned this before. Someone responded with "it's a new interlock". It still sucks.

I understand that they don't want any incidents but the signals are red for the next train for a seemingly unnecessary long time. 

the J/M at Myrtle ave. They need a better way route the M. Its kinda annoying being on a J train held up by a M that needs to make soo many track changes.

It would be easiest if the (J)(Z) ran express Westbound and the (M) ran on the express Eastbound...but that would be considered 'complicated'.

To alleviate the DeKalb Ave junction can it be solved with the (B) via Sea Beach and the (N) via Brighton Exp. so this way the (B)(D)(N)(Q) doesn't have to diverge between different tracks with a smooth operation.... :) I guess not

Lets look at the track layout there. Any train that goes through the DeKalb bypass automatically lead to the 4 Av express tracks. Under your plan, you would now have both (B) and (D) trains going through the bypass, and have Brighton served by 2 Broadway lines.

Lets look at the track layout there. Any train that goes through the DeKalb bypass automatically lead to the 4 Av express tracks. Under your plan, you would now have both (B) and (D) trains going through the bypass, and have Brighton served by 2 Broadway lines.

It was less of a plan and more of a thought. I understand the current setup is because of service flexibility. Looking at the track layout it looks more like 6th Ave (B)(D) tracks leads straightforward down 4th Ave than the Broadway (N)(Q) train tracks

Forest Hills/71av sucks as a terminal and makes the track capacity of QBL Local way lower than it ought to be. 

Isn't the whole reason it's slow that they have to fumigate the trains? The IND terminals were all designed to be high-capacity (with the exception of WTC)

Isn't the whole reason it's slow that they have to fumigate the trains? The IND terminals were all designed to be high-capacity (with the exception of WTC)

I'm not sure forest hills was ever really meant to be a terminal. Hence why 179 has a hell of a lot of capacity. Pretty sure it was originally designed to be the terminal for the whole line. 

I'm not sure forest hills was ever really meant to be a terminal. Hence why 179 has a hell of a lot of capacity. Pretty sure it was originally designed to be the terminal for the whole line.

It actually was supposed to be but the amount of capacity there would be crazy the only possible terminal other than 179 st is Forest Hills because it's right next to Jamaica Yard. It was originally for the (E), (F) and (R) but Jamaica Center came along in 1988 and they decided to reroute the (E) there and cut the (R) back.

If you think about it if you used Forest Hills as a terminal back then it was only for the (G) and anything short turned for the yard. IIRC the (E) ran local to 179th from Forest Hills. I'd compare it to Euclid on the other end. WTC wasn't built as a terminal either nor was Smith-Ninth St but ended up being used as such.

Sadly it may have to come to that.

That's not sad.... That's actually a good solution

I thought about saying the R train but then I thought about it

The run time added on the R would take it from bad to worse

I think the M is more frequent than the R on QB

So sending it those extra stops wouldn't hurt a bit

• 2 weeks later...

1.Southbound 2/5 AM Rush Bet Jackson-3 Ave/149 Merge..Time gained southbound on the 5 ALWAYS gets negated by passing '2"s 

I caught the 745 "5" Southbound every day from 225/WPR  BEHIND the 744 "2"...Pass it At SIMPSON on a good day just to get held up at 

Jackson For that SAME 2 to pass us...Granted it dosent happen evry day but at least 3 outta 5 days it happens...Why schedule it like that!!!!

Archived