Do you commute? Final MTA bus study workshop set for Feb. 9

Q113 LTD

Offhand, they mentioned one of the things they're looking into is the length of the S74/84 and S78, which causes a lot of reliability problems. Another thing they mentioned was that they were looking into having more express buses terminate Downtown, or do more Downtown-only & Midtown-only routes. 

I doubt th s78 would get split the whole route is mostly in areas with light traffic and bus lanes the s74 idk 

Expressways can sometimes have a good impact on a neighborhood, though overall they usually aren't good.  In this case though, I think what should be studied is traffic flow and if anything else can be done to make things more efficient.  I personally think that one more lane could be used for traffic towards Manhattan in the mornings and taken away from the Staten Island bound side of the Gowanus.

would would really help is if the DOT was able to build the KWV parkway all the way to I287. Like is was supposed to originally 

I doubt th s78 would get split the whole route is mostly in areas with light traffic and bus lanes the s74 idk 

Son, the S78 is the longest local route in the whole city. The people there explicitly said they were looking into what they should do with it.

Considering the SIR parallels most of the route, and nobody takes it the full route, some sort of restructuring definitely makes sense. Maybe not a split per se (my solution is to send it up Huguenot Avenue, have the S59 cover Tottenville, and send the S74 back to Tottenville, but have it directly service the Bricktown Mall). 

would would really help is if the DOT was able to build the KWV parkway all the way to I287. Like is was supposed to originally 

You mean I-278. And in any case, that's not happening (sad to say, I took part in the dismantling of those overhead bridges). 

Last night's SI Bus Study workshop at SI Tech was nearby so I attended for a short time. Put my two cents in regarding express services and then had to leave. The MTA people were very helpful and our SI Borough President Jim Oddo and my councilman Steven Matteo were present. There may have been other elected officials there too. What surprised me is that there must be sort of a 'Bus underground' in NYC. Most of the attendees were SI people like myself but quite a few were from outside SI and had very detailed proposals of their own as noted here:

SI Bus Study workshop 02/09/2016 official MTA handout - https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/90ccb8b4-cb11-4cfe-90cb-d4623ee3ba8b

SI Bus Study workshop 02/09/2016 non-MTA proposal-1 - https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/b54c935c-a9b1-4e80-8a57-108afd3905b6

SI Bus Study workshop 02/09/2016 non-MTA proposal-2 - https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/584a8706-d5a5-4af5-8718-b974928566ad

Staten Island Transportation Project, 02/09/2016 non-MTA proposal-3 - https://www.facebook.com/StatenIslandTransportationProject/

Very interesting about the X22... I don't think the (MTA) would want midday service to run, as they would argue that riders can simply drive to the X1 or use the X17 as alternatives, but I think the question is how frequent would midday X22 service be, and how many riders would it get to sustain the service long term?

As for the S53/S93, I've argued that the S53 should have its own limited stop service and follow the S93.  It's clear that riders are starting to catch on with how much quicker the S93 is.

Very interesting about the X22... I don't think the (MTA) would want midday service to run, as they would argue that riders can simply drive to the X1 or use the X17 as alternatives, but I think the question is how frequent would midday X22 service be, and how many riders would it get to sustain the service long term?

As for the S53/S93, I've argued that the S53 should have its own limited stop service and follow the S93.  It's clear that riders are starting to catch on with how much quicker the S93 is.

The guy running this study admitted the X17 extension was a terrible idea (and wasn't his).

As for the X22, you could run it once an hour, and have it serve the Teleport/South Avenue corridor, as well as serve Lower Manhattan to gain more ridership.

Yup. I 'd call it the S83 and it would skip Arrochar (run on Narrows Road)

Agreed.

The S53 and S93 should be swapped on it's northern (Staten Island) terminal. The S53 would operate to College of Staten Island via Victory Blvd. The S93 Limited would operate to Port Richmond. During rush hours, some peak direction S93s to/from CSI and some peak direction S53 locals to/from Port Richmond. Overnights the S53/S93 will operate local to Port Richmond only as normal.

The S53 and S93 should be swapped on it's northern (Staten Island) terminal. The S53 would operate 24/7 to College of Staten Island via Victory Blvd. The S93 Limited would operate 24/7 to Port Richmond. During rush hours, some peak direction S93s to/from CSI and some peak direction S53 locals to/from Port Richmond

You're screwing over residents of your neighborhood who need to reach the SIR. And there's no "peak direction" on the S93. Buses are busy in both directions all day (especially on those 30 minute headways).

And there's no need for the S93 to run 24/7. The S62 is plenty on Victory during overnights (especially with the 30 minute headways). And you wouldn't save that much time for S53 riders anyway (aside from the fact that you're still screwing over whoever needs the SIR at that hour)

I've always said the best proposal is as follows:

S53 West Brighton-Bay Ridge (starting from the present-day S54 terminal. Runs a similar span to the M101 and B35 Limited)

S83 Port Richmond-Bay Ridge (operates during hours of S53 to West Brighton)

S93 CSI-Bay Ridge (weekdays only)

Outside of those hours, the S53 would run Port Richmond-Bay Ridge.

The off-peak crowding (and upcoming increase in service) on the S93 is primarily due to CSI students. Riders taking the (R)-S93-S53 is still a secondary ridership base (though still noticeable). Sad to say, a lot of people don't want to use their free transfer, and sit through the South Beach/Arrochar stops.

• 8 months later...

Latest update regarding the SI Bus Study. BP Oddo announced back on 8/30/2016 that the Bus Study would be completed in the 'coming weeks'. Looks like that time frame has passed. My guess is that we won't see anything regarding the study until the end of the year. Anyone here have better info?

https://www.facebook.com/statenislandusa/posts/1101654796594202:0#

• 3 months later...

No firm date yet for release of the study. Received the message below from the SI Boro President's office today 02/03/2017 -

'Thank you for contacting Borough President James Oddo's office regarding the status of MTA bus study. As you know, we have worked closely with the MTA throughout this complicated process. We met with them several weeks ago, and they are finalizing it so their recommendations can be released to the public. Rest assured, we will alert Staten Islanders via social media when it is released so we can receive feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should have any questions regarding this issue or any other matter.'

Archived