Bronx Borough Prez Calls for New Rail Yard Development Near Lehman College

MysteriousBtrain

THE BRONX — A rail yard by Lehman College could be the ideal site for mixed-income housing, new retail space and an expansion of the school's campus, according to a new report from the office of Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.

Diaz announced in his 2015 State of the Borough address that his office would study the feasibility of building platforms over three Bronx rail yards operated by the MTA: 149th Street in Mott Haven, the (1) train yards that connect Riverdale and Kingsbridge, and the Concourse Yard next to Lehman College.

Although his office found that the 149th Street and (1) train yards were not ideal spots for construction at this time, the report stated that the Concourse Yard "likely represents the greatest potential for mixed-use development of any piece of public land in the borough."

The yard provides storage, maintenance and washing facilities for (B), (D) and (4) trains and is roughly bordered by Jerome Avenue, Paul Avenue, East 205th Street and East 198th Street.

Factors such as the yard's close proximity to Lehman College and the lack of nearby housing make it a prime spot for development, according to the report.

Building a deck over the yard would cost between $350 and $500 million and represent a chance to create more space for homeownership, mixed-income housing and retail, as well as a chance to allow Lehman College to expand its campus, the report said.

“Developing a platform at the Concourse Yard is a creative way to continue the revitalization of our borough while bringing new amenities and resources to the Northwest Bronx,” Diaz said in a statement. “Smart planning for the future requires us to consider all options, including real estate that does not yet exist.”

Going forward, Diaz's office will discuss opportunities that developing the platform could bring to the area with neighborhood stakeholders and consider asking the MTA to issue a Request for Expression of Interest in Concourse Yard to better assess the cost and potential of building at the site.

MTA spokeswoman Amanda Kwan said that the agency is studying the report.

“This is not only a great opportunity to help the neighborhood to continue to develop commercial space as well as affordable housing for all," Diaz said in a statement, "but this plan could allow one of the best colleges in our city, Lehman College, the opportunity for expansion it deserves."

Source:https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160203/bedford-park/bronx-borough-prez-calls-for-new-rail-yard-development-near-lehman-college

All I have to say is that we in Riverdale do NOT support mixed income housing, and we'll fight him tooth and nail. I've been paying close attention to this nonsense, and I've already contacted elected officials months ago letting them know that I am vehemently opposed to this.  Just look at how we stopped Montefiore dead in its tracks from building that monstrosity in Central Riverdale on Riverdale Avenue which is being replaced with luxury housing, which is what our community needs for our young upper class professionals and families.  Our community is extremely powerful politically, and I have no doubt that we can and will stop this as well, even if that means organizing and hiring attorneys to stop Diaz.  If he wants mixed housing, keep it down the hill. The land is simply too expensive in Riverdale to build affordable housing and he is trying to ram this crap down our throats without input from our community.  Disgusting!  

Our community board has already held meetings on this topic regarding de Blasio's affordable housing plan and how we opposed that, and this is no different.  We have concerns about parking, infrastructure and a lack of transportation for the additional people that would be moving to Riverdale.  Not only that, but the size and scope of such a project would destroy the character of Riverdale, which has always fought to prevent over development.  I think our elected officials have spoken loud and clear, from Andrew Cohen in City Council, to Senator Klein about this not being a project that Riverdale supports, and I am confident that all strategies will be used to block this plan.

All I have to say is that we in Riverdale do NOT support mixed income housing, and we'll fight him tooth and nail. I've been paying close attention to this nonsense, and I've already contacted elected officials months ago letting them know that I am vehemently opposed to this.  Just look at how we stopped Montefiore dead in its tracks from building that monstrosity in Central Riverdale on Riverdale Avenue which is being replaced with luxury housing, which is what our community needs for our young upper class professionals and families.  Our community is extremely powerful politically, and I have no doubt that we can and will stop this as well, even if that means organizing and hiring attorneys to stop Diaz.  If he wants mixed housing, keep it down the hill. The land is simply too expensive in Riverdale to build affordable housing and he is trying to ram this crap down our throats without input from our community.  Disgusting!  

Our community board has already held meetings on this topic regarding de Blasio's affordable housing plan and how we opposed that, and this is no different.  We have concerns about parking, infrastructure and a lack of transportation for the additional people that would be moving to Riverdale.  Not only that, but the size and scope of such a project would destroy the character of Riverdale, which has always fought to prevent over development.  I think our elected officials have spoken loud and clear, from Andrew Cohen in City Council, to Senator Klein about this not being a project that Riverdale supports, and I am confident that all strategies will be used to block this plan.

So basically your saying broke people are not allowed in riverdale due to poor education and work ethic. So middle class is not welcome just flat out say it.

So basically your saying broke people are not allowed in riverdale due to poor education and work ethic. So middle class is not welcome just flat out say it.

I'm saying that this whole affordable housing BS has been done throughout the Bronx and it has been done fairly poorly.  Just look at the South Bronx.  Mayor Bloomberg's office touted a large affordable housing project a few years ago, and I tutor in one of the buildings down there.  One of the residents in the building called the location a "housing project" that is overrun with hooligans.  There are daily notices from management about residents destroying the building (pissing in the stairwells and the like, and letting pets (that are prohibited in the first place) defecate all over the building).  The complex is only a few years old, and already shows signs of decay.  In short, our community has remained nice because we don't have these sorts of things here, and given what has happened in the Bronx both historically and recently, we would prefer not to have that here in Riverdale.  The buildings also look cheap and poorly constructed.  We recently had a luxury building open up along Henry Hudson Parkway that is a rental.  We need more of these buildings, as there are only a handful of rentals.  Riverdale is made up of mainly owners of co-ops, condos and houses, so there is a vested interest to keep the neighborhood nice and property values high.

The problem with these developments is that it's egregiously expensive to build a deck rather than just start on bedrock. Property values in Hudson Yards, just West of Midtown, are one thing, but I doubt many developers will see the north Bronx as a shining opportunity of mass investment. 

This isn't even near Riverdale. Ignore. Spam.

The problem with these developments is that it's egregiously expensive to build a deck rather than just start on bedrock. Property values in Hudson Yards, just West of Midtown, are one thing, but I doubt many developers will see the north Bronx as a shining opportunity of mass investment. 

This isn't even near Riverdale. Ignore. Spam.

Lehman College isn't, but Díaz has stated previously that he thinks affordable housing could be possible in Riverdale, and cited the area mentioned in the article by the West 240th street yards.  At least a portion of the (1) train rail yard is indeed in Riverdale, as it right next to Manhattan College.  He has currently stated that that site isn't suitable, but just in case he decides to "change his mind"  <_<, and try to pull a fast one, we're here to tell him that we're going to fight him tooth and nail.  Perhaps he's already aware of that and decided to back down.  He would be wise to do so, as we have the resources in place to stop him, such as the Committee to Protect Riverdale, which hired attorneys to stop the Montefiore project.  I find it interesting that suddenly that site isn't suitable, but it was just a few months ago. lol

Lehman College isn't, but Díaz has stated previously that he thinks affordable housing could be possible in Riverdale, and cited the area mentioned in the article by the West 240th street yards.  At least a portion of the (1) train rail yard is indeed in Riverdale, as it right next to Manhattan College.  He has currently stated that that site isn't suitable, but just in case he decides to "change his mind"  <_<, and try to pull a fast one, we're here to tell him that we're going to fight him tooth and nail.  Perhaps he's already aware of that and decided to back down.  He would be wise to do so, as we have the resources in place to stop him, such as the Committee to Protect Riverdale, which hired attorneys to stop the Montefiore project.  I find it interesting that suddenly that site isn't suitable, but it was just a few months ago. lol

Please you have no power.. money runs everything if it's money to made there going to find a loop hole. The question is what is considered affordable? Some of these spots are $1,500-$2,600 a month and that's under the guidelines for affordable. You act as if Riverdale has some of the highest rents in the city. On par with Crown Heights and that's for now what's considered middle class is changing.

Please you have no power.. money runs everything if it's money to made there going to find a loop hole. The question is what is considered affordable? Some of these spots are $1,500-$2,600 a month and that's under the guidelines for affordable. You act as if Riverdale has some of the highest rents in the city. On par with Crown Heights and that's for now what's considered middle class is changing.

Please.  You have no idea who is linked with who.  And yes, you're correct, money runs everything.  You clearly don't stay in Riverdale enough to know what happened with several projects that have failed because of our efforts and organization as a community.  I attend community board meetings, speak with my local representatives regularly, and am in also in contact with local committees that fight to protect Riverdale.  As for rents, they vary considerably in Riverdale, as Riverdale as a whole is big enough and has enough subsections to go from one extreme to the next (from affordable to expensive).  One bedrooms can go for $1,600.00 - 2,600.00 and two bedrooms can go as high as $4,300.00.  Just a few blocks from me are several luxury buildings (some of the most expensive in Riverdale going into the millions for apartments) and on my block we have several expensive residences.  It all depends on the location, and I'm here to tell you that there are areas of Riverdale with money and are upper middle to upper class, and some that are more middle class, so let's be honest here and stop acting like this is some sort of ghetto.  Overall my area of Riverdale is upper class.  Considering the fact that there is no subway here in comparison to Crown Heights, and one usually takes the express bus or Metro-North, both of which are considerably more expensive than a monthly Metrocard, it is only slightly cheaper than parts of Manhattan.

Now I don't know what part of Riverdale you grew up in, but if you grew up along Broadway per se then yes, that is pretty much middle class and much more affordable then say areas along Henry Hudson Parkway, west of the Parkway, Central Riverdale or the estate areas, or even North Riverdale, so maybe you had a different experience growing up in Riverdale for that reason. If so that's fine, but don't try to speak for the rest of us here because lifestyles here vary across the economic board.  

I Just wanna say something off topic! But why you act like Riverdale is not apart of the Bronx?

Don't when you write your address I'm quiet sure you put Bronx Ny 10471.. I'm just curious! thats all!

Please.  You have no idea who is linked with who.  And yes, you're correct, money runs everything.  You clearly don't stay in Riverdale enough to know what happened with several projects that have failed because of our efforts and organization as a community.  I attend community board meetings, speak with my local representatives regularly, and am in also in contact with local committees that fight to protect Riverdale.  As for rents, they vary considerably in Riverdale, as Riverdale as a whole is big enough and has enough subsections to go from one extreme to the next (from affordable to expensive).  One bedrooms can go for $1,600.00 - 2,600.00 and two bedrooms can go as high as $4,300.00.  Just a few blocks from me are several luxury buildings (some of the most expensive in Riverdale going into the millions for apartments) and on my block we have several expensive residences.  It all depends on the location, and I'm here to tell you that there are areas of Riverdale with money and are upper middle to upper class, and some that are more middle class, so let's be honest here and stop acting like this is some sort of ghetto.  Overall my area of Riverdale is upper class.  Considering the fact that there is no subway here in comparison to Crown Heights, and one usually takes the express bus or Metro-North, both of which are considerably more expensive than a monthly Metrocard, it is only slightly cheaper than parts of Manhattan.

Now I don't know what part of Riverdale you grew up in, but if you grew up along Broadway per se then yes, that is pretty much middle class and much more affordable then say areas along Henry Hudson Parkway, west of the Parkway, Central Riverdale or the estate areas, or even North Riverdale, so maybe you had a different experience growing up in Riverdale for that reason. If so that's fine, but don't try to speak for the rest of us here because lifestyles here vary across the economic board.  

I Just wanna say something off topic! But why you act like Riverdale is not apart of the Bronx?

Don't when you write your address I'm quiet sure you put Bronx Ny 10471.. I'm just curious! thats all!

It is off topic, but to answer your question, Riverdale, NY like many residents and businesses here do.  Nothing new either.  Been this way for years well before I moved here...

Im just looking at from a economic standpoint. True I haven't lived in Riverdale for about 20 years. My grandparents lived at 555 Kappock for many years, And I grew up right off of Fieldston Road literally right behind the Russian Embassy 255/256. Ive attended PS24,PS81 and JHS141 I understand the makeup of the neighborhood overall pretty well. My point is on average apartments are more expensive in Crown Heights than in Riverdale. We live in the information age I can literally download a JSON or database file from a Zillow and the compile numbers. If i'm wrong I'll submit.The way real estate is exploding in Brooklyn and Queens right now these places are on par with the Riverdale's and ForestHills and sure there pockets like Fieldston literally blocks from where I used live and Jamaica Estates. But the big picture is based on the law of averages. My question is what happen's when 80-90k a year is considered low end? On top of that what is affordable housing really? Like I said the City could say someone paying half the value of rent is affordable housing. So like if I get into a new building and it's mixed income and I pay $2,600 opposed to $4,500 a month is that's considered affordable?. So that might put some like yourself in the category of affordable housing. There's are so many variables here. Your caught up on status way to much. Ghetto this and that!  Are we referring to a slum? or areas with minority groups? Would Borough Park or Williamsburg being being it's predominantly Jewish? What about Bensonhurst being it's majority Italian? Who were also considered a minority group  until recently I might add! Come on with that enough's enough.. No one saying you're not entitled to your opinion I respect that. But all these passive aggressive remarks not cool or simply say "in my opinion".

Im just looking at from a economic standpoint. True I haven't lived in Riverdale for about 20 years. My grandparents lived at 555 Kappock for many years, And I grew up right off of Fieldston Road literally right behind the Russian Embassy 255/256. Ive attended PS24,PS81 and JHS141 I understand the makeup of the neighborhood overall pretty well. My point is on average apartments are more expensive in Crown Heights than in Riverdale. We live in the information age I can literally download a JSON or database file from a Zillow and the compile numbers. If i'm wrong I'll submit.The way real estate is exploding in Brooklyn and Queens right now these places are on par with the Riverdale's and ForestHills and sure there pockets like Fieldston literally blocks from where I used live and Jamaica Estates. But the big picture is based on the law of averages. My question is what happen's when 80-90k a year is considered low end? On top of that what is affordable housing really? Like I said the City could say someone paying half the value of rent is affordable housing. So like if I get into a new building and it's mixed income and I pay $2,600 opposed to $4,500 a month is that's considered affordable?. So that might put some like yourself in the category of affordable housing. There's are so many variables here. Your caught up on status way to much. Ghetto this and that!  Are we referring to a slum? or areas with minority groups? Would Borough Park or Williamsburg being being it's predominantly Jewish? What about Bensonhurst being it's majority Italian? Who were also considered a minority group  until recently I might add! Come on with that enough's enough.. No one saying you're not entitled to your opinion I respect that. But all these passive aggressive remarks not cool or simply say "in my opinion".

555 Kappock while a nice co-op building is affordable for many people that are simply middle class, and not upper middle or upper class, though there may be some people in the latter category living there.  Parts of Fieldston Road also fall into that category that aren't in the estate area.  Given that your grandparents lived at 555 Kappock and you haven't lived in Riverdale for about 20 years, I can understand your perception of the area in general, but on the same token plenty of buildings very close by to 555 Kappock are much more expensive and a lot has changed here, even since I moved here.  You really can't compare much of Brooklyn to Riverdale.  There just isn't a comparison because most of Riverdale is not near any subway, and a lot of it is quite suburban in look and feel, and that right there makes Riverdale look cheaper.

It will not be trendy or up and coming as it is an established neighborhood, but on the same token, there has been and continues to be a A LOT of development here and land here is expensive, so the only thing going up is luxury housing, and prices are indeed increasing steadily.  Only a few areas are truly walkable with good amenities, and those areas are the most expensive outside of Fieldston and the estate areas, and that is where a lot of the new luxury buildings are being placed.  If Riverdale had a subway, we'd be talking about a completely different situation, but the fact that it doesn't makes it quite pricey when you add in the commuting costs.

Long term I am not concerned about Riverdale.  Plenty of people moving here, and the prices keep going up.  Brooklyn will hit a peak at some point while Forest Hills and Riverdale will continue to appreciate in value from a real estate standpoint.

555 Kappock while a nice co-op building is affordable for many people that are simply middle class, and not upper middle or upper class, though there may be some people in the latter category living there.  Parts of Fieldston Road also fall into that category that aren't in the estate area.  Given that your grandparents lived at 555 Kappock and you haven't lived in Riverdale for about 20 years, I can understand your perception of the area in general, but on the same token plenty of buildings very close by to 555 Kappock are much more expensive and a lot has changed here, even since I moved here.  You really can't compare much of Brooklyn to Riverdale.  There just isn't a comparison because most of Riverdale is not near any subway, and a lot of it is quite suburban in look and feel, and that right there makes Riverdale look cheaper.

It will not be trendy or up and coming as it is an established neighborhood, but on the same token, there has been and continues to be a A LOT of development here and land here is expensive, so the only thing going up is luxury housing, and prices are indeed increasing steadily.  Only a few areas are truly walkable with good amenities, and those areas are the most expensive outside of Fieldston and the estate areas, and that is where a lot of the new luxury buildings are being placed.  If Riverdale had a subway, we'd be talking about a completely different situation, but the fact that it doesn't makes it quite pricey when you add in the commuting costs.

Long term I am not concerned about Riverdale.  Plenty of people moving here, and the prices keep going up.  Brooklyn will hit a peak at some point while Forest Hills and Riverdale will continue to appreciate in value from a real estate standpoint.

I disagree Riverdale is too close in proximity and well within the city limits I might add.We're not talking about a Chappaqua or a Greenwich there're outside forces that you're not taking into account in your predictions and calculations I feel. Doesn't really matter what any of us say it really comes down to who has property and money to play the game. I wonder of all these new luxury buildings going up where are you thinking about purchasing something in? I bet you fly out of Teterboro as well?

Also what was your view of the Ghetto question? Id like to understand your perspective on that.

Also why does it if 555 is a middle class building? I don't understand the logic isn't all the same area? same Community board? You speak as if the world is broken into all these fractions and boxes. I know you're not paying $5000k a month in rent you're speaking the neighborhood up but really you benefit more from these people moving in because it trickles down. What do you own in the area? Not saying that you can't work for it. But basing it solely on merit what are you contributing now? 

I disagree Riverdale is too close in proximity and well within the city limits I might add.We're not talking about a Chappaqua or a Greenwich there're outside forces that you're not taking into account in your predictions and calculations I feel. Doesn't really matter what any of us say it really comes down to who has property and money to play the game. I wonder of all these new luxury buildings going up where are you thinking about purchasing something in? I bet you fly out of Teterboro as well?

Also what was your view of the Ghetto question? Id like to understand your perspective on that.

Too close in proximity to what is the question?  The areas that are exploding in Brooklyn have subway lines and tons of amenities.  Riverdale is basically a bedroom community where people come to after being in Manhattan who want to be close to Manhattan but still "away" from it at the same time.  I have everything within walking distance for me.  I can walk to all of the main shops and banks, and walk to both Metro-North stations which I have done numerous times, but I would never compare it to most of Brooklyn, especially having grown up in Brooklyn most of my life. It just isn't the same.  Certainly not the same lifestyle. Now I can certainly walk of out of my door and go to a bar on Riverdale Avenue or perhaps An Bocht Beal over on Greystone, but the choices are still limited in terms of amenities, especially in comparison to the hip parts of Brooklyn.  We have one organic kosher shop here that just opened last year that's really great, but more expensive than the organic places in Manhattan, so that right there should tell you something.  

As for your comment about my ghetto comment, there isn't much to add.  I understand where you're coming from because you grew up in what I would consider very "middle class" buildings.  555 Kappock is nice, but very afforable, as is the other place on Fieldston Road that you mentioned.  Neither would be considered upper class or upper middle class by most and with you not being in Riverdale really for 20 years, it's no wonder you feel the way that you do.  Most of Riverdale was solid middle class for years, with smaller areas being upper middle to upper class, but there has been a building boom going on here that you apparently haven't been aware of that has a lot of apartments becoming quite expensive, especially if they are condos, since there are very few of those here.  Most of the affordable apartments are co-ops, but the condos are quite pricey and that is what the developers building here want more of... Luxury condos and luxury rentals as well.  Look at the prices for Enclave on Oxford... There was a two bedroom listed not too long for $4,300.00 dollars...  One bedrooms are easily $2,000 and up a month.  With no subway access and good but not great amenities, that is not exactly cheap.  As for me, I am really torn about where I will be buying in Riverdale.  West of the Parkway is great but requires a car, and Central Riverdale is great also but can sometimes be too accessible, so it would likely be either of those, and neither option is cheap.  Palisade Avenue will never be cheap with the views of the Hudson it offers and the exclusivity of many of those buildings like La Rive.

I wouldn't exactly call this listing below "cheap"....

http://streeteasy.com/building/2521-palisade-avenue-bronx/3a

Also why does it if 555 is a middle class building? I don't understand the logic isn't all the same area? same Community board? You speak as if the world is broken into all these fractions and boxes. I know you're not paying $5000k a month in rent you're speaking the neighborhood up but really you benefit more from these people moving in because it trickles down. What do you own in the area? Not saying that you can't work for it. But basing it solely on merit what are you contributing now? 

lol... I don't live in Spuyten Duyvil, so no it isn't the same area, and even within Spuyten Duyvil there are expensive parts and just average parts.  

Too close in proximity to what is the question?  The areas that are exploding in Brooklyn have subway lines and tons of amenities.  Riverdale is basically a bedroom community where people come to after being in Manhattan who want to be close to Manhattan but still "away" from it at the same time.  I have everything within walking distance for me.  I can walk to all of the main shops and banks, and walk to both Metro-North stations which I have done numerous times, but I would never compare it to most of Brooklyn, especially having grown up in Brooklyn most of my life. It just isn't the same.  Certainly not the same lifestyle. Now I can certainly walk of out of my door and go to a bar on Riverdale Avenue or perhaps An Bocht Beal over on Greystone, but the choices are still limited in terms of amenities, especially in comparison to the hip parts of Brooklyn.  We have one organic kosher shop here that just opened last year that's really great, but more expensive than the organic places in Manhattan, so that right there should tell you something.  

As for your comment about my ghetto comment, there isn't much to add.  I understand where you're coming from because you grew up in what I would consider very "middle class" buildings.  555 Kappock is nice, but very afforable, as is the other place on Fieldston Road that you mentioned.  Neither would be considered upper class or upper middle class by most and with you not being in Riverdale really for 20 years, it's no wonder you feel the way that you do.  Most of Riverdale was solid middle class for years, with smaller areas being upper middle to upper class, but there has been a building boom going on here that you apparently haven't been aware of that has a lot of apartments becoming quite expensive, especially if they are condos, since there are very few of those here.  Most of the affordable apartments are co-ops, but the condos are quite pricey and that is what the developers building here want more of... Luxury condos and luxury rentals as well.  Look at the prices for Enclave on Oxford... There was a two bedroom listed not too long for $4,300.00 dollars...  One bedrooms are easily $2,000 and up a month.  With no subway access and good but not great amenities, that is not exactly cheap.  As for me, I am really torn about where I will be buying in Riverdale.  West of the Parkway is great but requires a car, and Central Riverdale is great also but can sometimes be too accessible, so it would likely be either of those, and neither option is cheap.  Palisade Avenue will never be cheap with the views of the Hudson it offers and the exclusivity of many of those buildings like La Rive.

I wouldn't exactly call this listing below "cheap"....

http://streeteasy.com/building/2521-palisade-avenue-bronx/3a

lol... I don't live in Spuyten Duyvil, so no it isn't the same area, and even within Spuyten Duyvil there are expensive parts and just average parts.  

I'm a little confused?  Same area?  It's all Community board 8 so define area? Zipcode, Community board? What defines where an area starts and ends. 995K? Everything on this side of town goes for a Million or better so I'm not really sure what that was supposed to mean? Views are nice tho. Also why do you keep speaking me like I've never gone to wave Hill or down on Independence Avenue I understand the area I still have family there so I'm not that out of touch I live in Brooklyn now not Santa Barbara also very confusing to me. From my knowledge when you start school someone on something usually that means you've gone through it or your pass that level. Your saying $4,300 a month does that mean your paying that rate a month? Again it seems like your benefiting from the luxury condos going up. But you're not actually on that level or contributing to that in any way if I'm wrong correct me. There are Millions of new people moving to NYC over the next a few decades VG8 where are they going to go? Spuyten Duyvil is a stones throw away from Inwood. Everything in walking distance? Are you kidding me Washington, Franklin, Flatbush,7th 5th Aves all in walking distance here. What Johnson and Riverdale Ave's? Your probably too scared to walk to Broadway or maybe your too good to go that way.

What about my question about Bensonhurst and Borough Park are those considered ghetto's as well ? not sure if you answered that inquiry?

Here's some links for your information satisfaction.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/bxcb8/html/home/home.shtml

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,townhouse_type/2-_beds/any_days/40.683323,-73.926466,40.663501,-73.969767_rect/14_zm/

I'm a little confused?  Same area?  It's all Community board 8 so define area? Zipcode, Community board? What defines where an area starts and ends. 995K? Everything on the side of town goes for a Million or better so I'm not really sure what that was supposed to mean? Views are nice tho. Also why do you keep speaking me like I've never gone to wave Hill or down on Independence Avenue I understand the area I still have family there so I'm not that out of touch I live in Brooklyn now not Santa Barbara also very confusing to me. From my knowledge when you start school someone on something usually that means you've gone through it or your pass that level. Your saying $4,300 a month does that mean your paying that rate a month? Again it seems like your benefiting from the luxury condos going up. But you're not actually on that level or contributing to that in any way if I'm wrong correct me. There are Millions of new people moving to NYC over the next a few decades VG8 where are they going to go? Spuyten Duyvil is a stones throw away from Inwood. Everything in walking distance? Are you kidding me Washington, Franklin, Flatbush,7th 5th Aves all in walking distance here. What Johnson and Riverdale Ave's? Your probably too scared to walk to Broadway or maybe your too good to go that way.

What about my question about Bensonhurst and Borough Park are those considered ghetto's as well ? not sure if you answered that inquiry?

Here's some links for your information satisfaction.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/bxcb8/html/home/home.shtml

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/house,condo,apartment_duplex,mobile,townhouse_type/2-_beds/any_days/40.683323,-73.926466,40.663501,-73.969767_rect/14_zm/

lol... Listen buddy the only one comparing Riverdale to other areas is you, not me.  The only thing that is somewhat comparable to Riverdale is Forest Hills and that's only because they both have a similar suburban feel in parts with a small urban part as well, but both of these neighborhoods are quite unique.  I wouldn't compare Riverdale to anything in Westchester or any other place in the city outside of Forest Hills because they aren't the same.  Chappaqua is Chappaqua.  Bedford Hills is Bedford Hills and Scarsdale is Scarsdale, so let's get that out of the way.    They are their own places, period, as is Riverdale.  That has no bearing on Riverdale being an upper middle to upper class area overall, despite you trying to paint it as this middle class neighborhood where people can barely afford to live.  You claim you're aware of the areas like Wave Hill and the like, yet you keep trying to lump the neighborhood into one category?  That's what I'm confused by.  Smh.

For the record, no I don't own yet, and quite frankly there is no rush for me to own, but at the same time, I don't shackle up with roommates like most folks do these days, so I'm not quite sure what your point is as if I'm barely scraping by, but that's cute (lol).  When I'm ready to purchase I will.  You on the other hand should own, given how old you likely are, as you're in a stage of your life where you need security, so please stop trying to talk down to me.  I'm doing just fine, believe me, especially for my age.  

lol... Listen buddy the only one comparing Riverdale to other areas is you, not me.  The only thing that is somewhat comparable to Riverdale is Forest Hills and that's only because they both have a similar suburban feel in parts with a small urban part as well, but both of these neighborhoods are quite unique.  I wouldn't compare Riverdale to anything in Westchester or any other place in the city outside of Forest Hills because they aren't the same.  Chappaqua is Chappaqua.  Bedford Hills is Bedford Hills and Scarsdale is Scarsdale, so let's get that out of the way.    They are their own places, period, as is Riverdale.  That has no bearing on Riverdale being an upper middle to upper class area overall, despite you trying to paint it as this middle class neighborhood where people can barely afford to live.  You claim you're aware of the areas like Wave Hill and the like, yet you keep trying to lump the neighborhood into one category?  That's what I'm confused by.  Smh.

For the record, no I don't own yet, and quite frankly there is no rush for me to own, but at the same time, I don't shackle up with roommates like most folks do these days, so I'm not quite sure what your point is as if I'm barely scraping by, but that's cute (lol).  When I'm ready to purchase I will.  You on the other hand should own, given how old you likely are, as you're in a stage of your life where you need security, so please stop trying to talk down to me.  I'm doing just fine, believe me, especially for my age.  

Love your exit strategy. Im a 80's baby I'm sure were in the same age bracket with a error margin of 5-7 years so really im coming at you as a peer so let's take that card off the table. I'm sure with that information you'll find other things to attack and question I'm 100% prepared to back up every word I say.With that said anyone in their late 20s and 30s shouldn't be doing too much talking but more listening there's simply too much to learn and the world is simply changing so fast.The world isn't going to be too forgiving for those that can't adapt..I'm simply asking where you're coming from and for a little accountability for your comments.  Anyone bound by morals and ethics can understand that. Im sure the 20 year's away from Riverdale comment is your point of reference for your calculation that's a roundabout 1999-2000. Second grouping an entire neighborhood together? Your speaking as if were talking about Towns here some of the places that you're referring to in some cases are mere blocks apart. I asked you to define what you're basing your measurement off what determines where area's start or ends that's all. I just showed you CB8 covers everything why would they group everything in one if they didn't consider to be all the same general area? Plus there your comments you should be able to explain what you basing it off of. If you can't and you get defensive why say anything at all? I referenced Chappaqua not just because of wealth and class statuses but because of proximity. Further away from the black hole that we call New York City and less affected by it's immediate gravitational pull real estate and population boom. I simply asked where all these additional people are going to when Riverdale is right across the water? So now that we've established that were probably in the same age bracket why are you telling me about $5,000 month apartments when you don't even pay that amount or own anything?   What's the point of that? Me and my wife we don't have much but we own what we have. I Never said that you were just scraping by honestly I don't care im not helping you pay your rent ,common charges or taxes not watching your pockets. But I do know some people that are pretty well-off and they never have to say it just shows so whenever someone is continuously talking about what they have I'm very leery of that. But overall sometimes I disagree with your point of view and I'm just asking you to clarify nothing more nothing less. I'm not here to judge society will judge you for your contributions and your legacy. Kind of feel like you're speaking down to a lot of people here on the forms sometime. I have no problem submitting to a person that's worked and achieved you can't take that away. But achieve it first for Pete's sake.

Love your exit strategy. Im a 80's baby I'm sure were in the same age bracket with a error margin of 5-7 years so really im coming at you as a peer so let's take that card off the table. I'm sure with that information you'll find other things to attack and question I'm 100% prepared to back up every word I say.With that said anyone in their late 20s and 30s shouldn't be doing too much talking but more listening there's simply too much to learn and the world is simply changing so fast.The world isn't going to be too forgiving for those that can't adapt..I'm simply asking where you're coming from and for a little accountability for your comments.  Anyone bound by morals and ethics can understand that. Im sure the 20 year's away from Riverdale comment is your point of reference for your calculation that's a roundabout 1999-2000. Second grouping an entire neighborhood together? Your speaking as if were talking about Towns here some of the places that you're referring to in some cases are mere blocks apart. I asked you to define what you're basing your measurement off what determines where area's start or ends that's all. I just showed you CB8 covers everything why would they group everything in one if they didn't consider to be all the same general area? Plus there your comments you should be able to explain what you basing it off of. If you can't and you get defensive why say anything at all? I referenced Chappaqua not just because of wealth and class statuses but because of proximity. Further away from the black hole that we call New York City and less affected by it's immediate gravitational pull real estate and population boom. I simply asked where all these additional people are going to when Riverdale is right across the water? So now that we've established that were probably in the same age bracket why are you telling me about $5,000 month apartments when you don't even pay that amount or own anything?   What's the point of that? Me and my wife we don't have much but we own what we have. I Never said that you were just scraping by honestly I don't care im not helping you pay your rent ,common charges or taxes not watching your pockets. But I do know some people that are pretty well-off and they never have to say it just shows so whenever someone is continuously talking about what they have I'm very leery of that. But overall sometimes I disagree with your point of view and I'm just asking you to clarify nothing more nothing less. I'm not here to judge society will judge you for your contributions and your legacy. Kind of feel like you're speaking down to a lot of people here on the forms sometime. I have no problem submitting to a person that's worked and achieved you can't take that away. But achieve it first for Pete's sake.

You and your wife... Very good... So you split the expenses... So again you should own... I don't split anything. I pay everything myself... Everything, and I'm doing just fine.  You should know that single individuals are taxed much more heavily than married couples in New York, so you still have a nice advantage over me in that regard. In short I have accomplished quite a bit in my time and yes I'm cocky because I'm damn good.  Most people I know are living with roommates or living in some dump, neither of which applies to me. We can always meet at some fancy place like Per Se or something and quarrel some more if you like.  :lol: With that I've said enough on this topic.  Affordable housing or not, Riverdale is not going anywhere anytime soon that I can't afford, so purchasing a few years from now should not be a problem at all.  You're like one of those real estate speculators hyping up everything.  Are you sure you're not in real estate? For the record, Crown Heights may be "hot", but you couldn't pay me to live there.  You'd have a much more solid investment in say Brooklyn Heights, where there are no shootings after Carnival.

You and your wife... Very good... So you split the expenses... So again you should own... I don't split anything. I pay everything myself... Everything, and I'm doing just fine.  You should know that single individuals are taxed much more heavily than married couples in New York, so you still have a nice advantage over me in that regard. In short I have accomplished quite a bit in my time and yes I'm cocky because I'm damn good.  Most people I know are living with roommates or living in some dump, neither of which applies to me. We can always meet at some fancy place like Per Se or something and quarrel some more if you like.  :lol: With that I've said enough on this topic.  Affordable housing or not, Riverdale is not going anywhere anytime soon that I can't afford, so purchasing a few years from now should not be a problem at all.  You're like one of those real estate speculators hyping up everything.  Are you sure you're not in real estate? For the record, Crown Heights may be "hot", but you couldn't pay me to live there.  You'd have a much more solid investment in say Brooklyn Heights, where there are no shootings after Carnival.

You're right we spent way too much time on this. I'm happy that you're confident everyone has to think there the best I wouldn't expect anything less. I do believe you're over evaluating yourself especially for someone that's working for someone else and rents on top of that. As much as you try to justify there's absolutely no comparison.  You're on someone else's clock. Not saying by stretch that you don't have the potential but say something in a few years. So used to being around and comparing yourself bunch of C players I think it's getting to your head a little. Not comparing you to those kids that roommate but let's not get carried away. Brooklyn Heights is coming thanks for the tip. By the way damn good would be a Jack Dorsey, Elon Musk or even a Jeremy England I expect big things from you sir!!  Anytime you're ready we can go just say.

Classic VG8 right here. Key Messages to take away: 

1. Keep poor people away from me!
  2. Rent in NYC is reasonable, people should just make more money!
  3. [various classist statements laced with racial undertones]

Seriously though "Mixed Income" housing is not a Homeless Shelter, nor is it a housing project. There is *plenty* of luxury housing in the city, and nothing about this will ruin the character of your community - nor is the proposed even IN your community. Go ahead, protest this, waste your money on lawyers, but there are thousands of bigger problems in the city than the sordid middle class encroaching into riverdale...

Carry on. 

Archived