LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

hey all! its been a while since I posted last; Ive been trying to focus on studying for the S&D overview .congrats to everyone who passed the S&D today i believe there was only about 19 of us! So happy to have made it past this exam I can finally breathe a little easier! now just waiting to hear word on next steps aka medical, drug testing and possible offer!! Im so excited! Gentlemen study study study thats all I can say! It will pay off in the end 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm doing my best! What was your study procedure like?

I put everything onto flash cards ( all signals and definitions) and focused on 5 definitions and 10 signals a day. at the end of each week Id have my wife do a cumulative test on all of the information that Id been studying until I knew all of the definitions and signals. After that I just practiced them all everyday . Its very tedious  and a bit stressful but It does pay off. I studied at least 4 hours each day. 

I put everything onto flash cards ( all signals and definitions) and focused on 5 definitions and 10 signals a day. at the end of each week Id have my wife do a cumulative test on all of the information that Id been studying until I knew all of the definitions and signals. After that I just practiced them all everyday . Its very tedious  and a bit stressful but It does pay off. I studied at least 4 hours each day. 

Thats good i'm doing about 7 signals and 4 definitions a day i should have enough time to finish everything and still have a few days to get everything im missing. I study about the same if i can throughout the day. Its hard with work and college. 

Hey can anybody shed some light on scoring on test. I know signals need to be 100%, everything verbatim, and an overall score of 80. Is it separated into different tests with the signals and indications as one and definitions as another with the two exams averaged together?

Hey can anybody shed some light on scoring on test. I know signals need to be 100%, everything verbatim, and an overall score of 80. Is it separated into different tests with the signals and indications as one and definitions as another with the two exams averaged together?

I think you need to have 100 on the signals and an 80 on the definitions

No.  you need 100% on the signal ASPECTS (names) and 80% overall.  So yes you can get a signal indication wrong and still pass.  But you shouldn't worry about what a passing score is, just shoot for 100% total, like I said many times in previous posts, study your ass off for the remainder of the time you have (less than 3 weeks) and you'll do fine.  last time I took this back in '13 I studied after work and on my breaks for an average of about 3-4 hours a day and scored a 98.  back then we had to know the horn and buzzer signals as well as the definitions and signals.  IMHO I think this test is easier than that one.  

yeah i've been studying very hard it's sticking more i recommend typing the definitions out on the computer it's better than hand writing them. Also i feel like they did a terrible job of explaining the signals at the overview. 

yeah i've been studying very hard it's sticking more i recommend typing the definitions out on the computer it's better than hand writing them. Also i feel like they did a terrible job of explaining the signals at the overview. 

How can you screw it up? Its a signal - give the aspect & indication right? Is there more to it?

Well, still no email or letter. I think they may have deleted all traces of me. Haha

On a more positive note - I contacted HR and explained the situation. They are pulling my paperwork, they think I may have received the wrong letter. Fingers crossed!!! Also - I have not heard of anyone getting an invite to the May overview yet. So maybe your buddy was wrong and they didn't go out yet? Hoping!!

Edited by Cappi10

How can you screw it up? Its a signal - give the aspect & indication right? Is there more to it?

On a more positive note - I contacted HR and explained the situation. They are pulling my paperwork, they think I may have received the wrong letter. Fingers crossed!!! Also - I have not heard of anyone getting an invite to the May overview yet. So maybe your buddy was wrong and they didn't go out yet? Hoping!!

They went out.

There's 128 signals some of them mean the same thing and have 5-6 signal positions it's confusing

There's 128 signals some of them mean the same thing and have 5-6 signal positions it's confusing

Yeh - I know but you know what the aspect & indication of each one is. 

Fed,

as far as what?  it's a matter of memorizing rather than understanding at this point, I'm not following as far as what sort of "explanations" you were expecting?

By email or letter?

email

If it's too confusing for you, I don't want to be harsh, but are you sure this is for you? The sigs and defs are straight forward. The book of rules are even more complicated.
Edited by LIRR 154

My friend on RR has 3 buddies who are all "cams" that got pulled for May's S&D overview date. He let me know cuz he knows I'm waiting. But I haven't seen any one here say they got an invite nor did I. Still no letter for me either. Job was just opened and closed recently. Sooo, I figure, who the hell even knows what is gonna happen next. I applied for other stuff that was there but i guess I'll just move on with my life and not worry about this. I guess they aren't getting the right mix of candidates if they constantly reopening the position.

My friend on RR has 3 buddies who are all "cams" that got pulled for May's S&D overview date. He let me know cuz he knows I'm waiting. But I haven't seen any one here say they got an invite nor did I. Still no letter for me either. Job was just opened and closed recently. Sooo, I figure, who the hell even knows what is gonna happen next. I applied for other stuff that was there but i guess I'll just move on with my life and not worry about this. I guess they aren't getting the right mix of candidates if they constantly reopening the position.

If you didnt get a rejection letter you are still alive. i am seeing other people get them as well. I think you are still in the running, hang in there.