LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Hi, 

I'm studying for the S&D Exam on Aug 10th, any helpful words of advise? I'm really freaking out. Everytime I think I have it down when I go to quiz myself I mess up.

Side Note.... I have a WHOLE new respect for the conductors... this is no joke.

Flash cards... Put the Signal on one side and the indication on the other. Same with the Definitions.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I'm studying for the S&D Exam on Aug 10th, any helpful words of advise? I'm really freaking out. Everytime I think I have it down when I go to quiz myself I mess up.

Side Note.... I have a WHOLE new respect for the conductors... this is no joke.

Hi I am also taking the test on august 10. I been using index cards and been studying at night and whatever free time I get at work as well.

Good luck

I found that it helps if you have a partner to test you. Remember word for word verbatim!

Will there be another posting for LIRR Asst Conductor Trainee in the near future. I applied in February. However, no dice. My guess is that gotta keep trying.

As per the budget for next year, they have allocated money for 100 new A/C's so chances are that they will have another.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the s&d test today and passed. The time from finishing the test to waiting for the results felt like the longest 15-20 mins of my life. I feel like I did terrible on the panel interview,so we'll see how it goes from here. Next class is in September, hopefully I'll get called for it.

Took the s&d test today and passed. The time from finishing the test to waiting for the results felt like the longest 15-20 mins of my life. I feel like I did terrible on the panel interview,so we'll see how it goes from here. Next class is in September, hopefully I'll get called for it.

Keep studying those signals and definitions, dont lose em'!  You will need to know them verbatim on your first day of training.  

cleared the medical

How is training for the guys who started already?

Be prepared. It's going to be the most mentally challenging month you've ever had. After that, it's nothing compared to the book of rules class

Is the signal and definition test graded as 2 different test or is it graded together? Also how hard was it? mines is on the 31st

Edited by Member2016

Is the signal and definition test graded as 2 different test or is it graded together? Also how hard was it? mines is on the 31st

Oh ok so there cant even be a indication wrong ? I know the name must be correct 100% And im guessing there could be 5 wrong definitions in order to get the 80% on the definition part

Be prepared. It's going to be the most mentally challenging month you've ever had. After that, it's nothing compared to the book of rules class

cool, thanks. How far along in training you are?

Oh ok so there cant even be a indication wrong ? I know the name must be correct 100% And im guessing there could be 5 wrong definitions in order to get the 80% on the definition part

100% on the signal names 80% on the indications and definitions. 50 questions in total, so I want to say you can only get 10 wrong between indications and definitions. It seems like a lot(and it is lol) but if you do a few words and signals everyday you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Edited by Svjbk

cool, thanks. How far along in training you are? 100% on the signal names 80% on the indications and definitions. 50 questions in total, so I want to say you can only get 10 wrong between indications and definitions. It seems like a lot(and it is lol) but if you do a few words and signals everyday you'll be fine.

Good luck.

I graduated a couple of months ago, trust me, you want to pass this test.

100% on aspects, 80% on indications and definitions. Just shoot for 100%, anything else and you will fail.

I graduated a couple of months ago, trust me, you want to pass this test.

100% on aspects, 80% on indications and definitions. Just shoot for 100%, anything else and you will fail.

Thats what im aiming for ive been studying my ass off but some words i cant seem to get but i have a few more days until my test

Congratulations! How's the job so far?

Don't expect to have a life, don't expect to sleep regularly, make sure you have a reliable source of transportation, and make sure you have a reliable phone. Do what you're told, be where you're supposed to be, and don't complain. That's it, really.

Don't expect to have a life, don't expect to sleep regularly, make sure you have a reliable source of transportation, and make sure you have a reliable phone. Do what you're told, be where you're supposed to be, and don't complain. That's it, really.

Do you remeber if there were any repeated signals or were they all one of each signal aspect ?

Do you remeber if there were any repeated signals or were they all one of each signal aspect ?

what do you mean about "repeated"? Listen, Don't worry about the little stuff, worry about getting each aspect and indication perfect.  The format of the test is self explanatory and will be easy if you studied enough.  

what do you mean about "repeated"? Listen, Don't worry about the little stuff, worry about getting each aspect and indication perfect. The format of the test is self explanatory and will be easy if you studied enough.

Well good thing is i passed and got fitted and a book ofb more signals but i was a nervous wreck on the interview my question is can u pass the test and still not get selected based off interview ?

Congrats!! I was a nervous wreck during my interview too and I thought I wasn't going to get called, days later they called me. You'll get called in no time.

Hey I'm new to the forum. Just past the signals and definitions today with a high score. Again out of the 65 people that show up for the interview only about 35-40 people showed. Out of that pool 21 people including my self past. It was a huge weight off my shoulders. I got fitted for my uniform and then was interviewed by two transportation managers. I felt like I did absolutely horrible, I was nervous wreck from start to finish. But I some how summon my self to get through it. So right now I'm just waiting to see if I'll continue on.