LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Misslowe said:

Good morning. I applied on the website earlier in February for assistant conductor trainee. I haven’t gotten a response. I see that people have already started the process. I am over here wondering where is my letter. 🧐😞

It usually takes longer than that to hear back. The last class to be hired started at the end of February, and no new classes have been filled since then (as of now). To give you an idea of the timeframe, the February class was filled with people that had started the process in November or December. Most of them had applied last summer. For me, it was 8 months between the day I applied and the day I was e-mailed to start the process.

It's also worth noting that you won't get a rejection e-mail if they decide not to contact you. Do you have the customer service and cash handling experience they are looking for?

7 hours ago, Two2Go said:

It usually takes longer than that to hear back. The last class to be hired started at the end of February, and no new classes have been filled since then (as of now). To give you an idea of the timeframe, the February class was filled with people that had started the process in November or December. Most of them had applied last summer. For me, it was 8 months between the day I applied and the day I was e-mailed to start the process.

It's also worth noting that you won't get a rejection e-mail if they decide not to contact you. Do you have the customer service and cash handling experience they are looking for?

Oh ok. I think so.  I don’t have cash handling experience though. I do have working experience as well as college educated. It’s like this process is so long. I applied for all the positions I think I’m qualified for. Bus operator, conductor, station agent, train operator, metro north conductor trainee. 😩

On 5/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, PotentialAcCandidate said:

@LIRR 154 I really appreciate your timely response. I will definitely wait it out. But according to what others have said in this form, they received feedback much sooner. Would you happen to know when the next upcoming classes are? Also what is the average timeframe to receive feedback?

When I went for the initial class in March we were told if we finish the whole process and are chosen we would be placed in a class early next year. Based off that I think you would be looking at a Fall class.

9 hours ago, PotentialAcCandidate said:

@thegameksk So 2019? Thats what you think game? I just passed the signals & definitions exam on on the 17th of April. I haven't even received a follow up email with an instructions. How long did it take for you to hear feedback?

I didnt get any emails. I have my review class next Tuesday. If my group is being looked at for the a class early next year then if they go forward with you it will most likely be in fall.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:30 PM, PotentialAcCandidate said:

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this forum, but I have been following this fourm on the low ever since i attended the  A/C Trainee open house in Mid-February. I passed the Intial exams, and interviews. Then studied my butt off, and passed the signals and definitions exams, which was a sigh of relief. I feel like I did well on the panel interview. I was interveiwed by Linda Oliver and another gentlemen who I believe was the superintendent. It’s been exactly seventeen days, this is the third week, and I haven’t heard any feedback. Can anybody provide some kind of insight? I sent a thank you email on April 18, the day after the exam and interview. Ms. Oliver replied w/ a smiley face which made me feel very confident. But up until this point, I have received no feedback. I’ve thought about sending another email, but I don’t want to send a premature email and jeapordize anything. Also twenty people took the exam, only eight of us passed. So at this point I’m not quite sure. I would really appreciate it if somebody can give me some insight, before I send Ms. Oliver another email. Thanks.

I'm in the similar boat with you but for different position. I passed everything also including basic training and did an interview on the last week of March. Ms. Oliver said she will let me know when the next class is (usually September/October for my position).

3 minutes ago, PotentialAcCandidate said:

Yeah @Noob Im still patiently waiting to hear something. I wish you the best of luck. What position is it that your'e going for? and What is your current position? And what kind of advice can you give me? if any.

I'm in a process for Block Operator Trainee. From my experience, I went to the orientation on 12/21/17 and took the cognitive test and passed, went to S & D overview on 1/31/18 and took the exam on 2/21/18 and passed, then went to the Basic training from 2/26/18 - 3/9/18 and passed, then went to the interview on 3/28/18. I still haven't done Background check and Medical yet but I think those are the last step before getting into class.

29 minutes ago, Noob said:

I'm in a process for Block Operator Trainee. From my experience, I went to the orientation on 12/21/17 and took the cognitive test and passed, went to S & D overview on 1/31/18 and took the exam on 2/21/18 and passed, then went to the Basic training from 2/26/18 - 3/9/18 and passed, then went to the interview on 3/28/18. I still haven't done Background check and Medical yet but I think those are the last step before getting into class.

@NoobThat is fantastic. I hope they reach out to you sooner then later. But from my understanding, you haven’t started classes yet? This process is very confusing, what does basic training consist of? I Passed the Signals & definitions on 4/17/18, and I’ve been sitting in the dark ever since. 

43 minutes ago, PotentialAcCandidate said:

@NoobThat is fantastic. I hope they reach out to you sooner then later. But from my understanding, you haven’t started classes yet? This process is very confusing, what does basic training consist of? I Passed the Signals & definitions on 4/17/18, and I’ve been sitting in the dark ever since. 

I dont think there is any basic training for A/C position. We probably gonna go to Fall class which starts usually around August ~ October.

28 minutes ago, Noob said:

I dont think there is any basic training for A/C position. We probably gonna go to Fall class which starts usually around August ~ October.

@Noob Thanks A lot. I really appreciate that feedback. Im just going to sit around and wait then. Best of luck to you. Probably see you around hillside lol. 

1 minute ago, PotentialAcCandidate said:

@Noob Thanks A lot. I really appreciate that feedback. Im just going to sit around and wait then. Best of luck to you. Probably see you around hillside lol. 

Np! and good luck to you too. Just don't forget the definitions and signals. lol

8 hours ago, Kashmulla said:

Can someone shed some light on what to expect on the day of the S&D overview 

An instructor from the training department will start off by explaining the duties and responsibilities of an assistant conductor, and will briefly talk about things like how job assignments work, how vacation time works, sick days, etc. He or she will answer any questions anyone has.

Then they will start showing you the signals and definitions. They will give out a huge packet of all the material, and they will go over each signal and each definition you are responsible for (everything in the packet). Usually they go around the room having people read each signal indication and definition out of the packet. They will give you pointers on some ways you can go about memorizing everything. They will probably say the phrase "word for word verbatim" at least 30 times. They will explain the format of the test you will be taking exactly 5 weeks later (and they will give you the date for that test, incase you aren't sure.) The class lasts about 6 hours.  They aren't really there to "teach" you the S&D's, just to help you get familiarized with them and to answer any questions. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:42 AM, JHP87 said:

Anyone else taking the S&D test on 5/21? How’s the studying going? I’m done with definitions, almost done with signals and then I’ll have a solid 8 days for intense review. 

How many definations did you do daily and how many hours?

1 hour ago, thegameksk said:

How many definations did you do daily and how many hours?

I did 5 definitions and 3-5 hours per day starting the day of the overview. There’s been a lot of late nights. I recited them out loud and wrote them down repedidly, sometimes filling a few pages with the same definition until it stuck. It took me two weeks to learn them and 3 weeks to really perfect them. I’ve still been going through the definitions twice daily while working on signals. The signals actually have me more worried.  Not that they’re harder then the definitions, but I worry about making a mental error and writing down something like slow approach instead of approach slow and wasting all my time and efforts. I hope there’s enough time to quadruple check my answers. 

I have a problem. I had ordered my job history from the IRS but it just came in and as a result I completely forgot to put n job down on my app. It was an on call job I had for 2 months 7 years ago.  Am I screwed? Im set to take the review class Tuesday but now due to this I am not sure how to proceed.

10 hours ago, JHP87 said:

I did 5 definitions and 3-5 hours per day starting the day of the overview. There’s been a lot of late nights. I recited them out loud and wrote them down repedidly, sometimes filling a few pages with the same definition until it stuck. It took me two weeks to learn them and 3 weeks to really perfect them. I’ve still been going through the definitions twice daily while working on signals. The signals actually have me more worried.  Not that they’re harder then the definitions, but I worry about making a mental error and writing down something like slow approach instead of approach slow and wasting all my time and efforts. I hope there’s enough time to quadruple check my answers. 

All it takes is one mistake to kill people.  They expect perfection because when you're out there, you have to be perfect.  

1 hour ago, bp98 said:

All it takes is one mistake to kill people.  They expect perfection because when you're out there, you have to be perfect.  

Point taken. Let me keep hammering away at these signals to make sure I know them like the back of my hand.