MNR worker shocks passengers after teen suicide

DetSMART45

Its very tragic that a teen took his own life, BUT its highly despicable on what that worker said. He should be suspended without pay.

Unbelievable. Having an (MTA) worker saying "I hope that motherf***r suffered" should not be tolerated. I agree with TransitJustice that he should be suspended without pay.

Nah, he should be fired. 1.You should never be cursing on a job, especially if you know someone can hear you.

2. Don't ever say someone deserves do die. Does the worker even know the one who suicided? The teen could of been pick on for a bunch of reasons, ones we may not even come up with, and you say "Someone died? Hope that person got what he deserves for delaying my train".

No n*gga, f*ck you, go suck a d*ck, and hope YOU end up dying soon. This sh*t will never be tolerated by others, and if they do, something is wrong with them. Smh..... this worker should immediately be fired and not have any job involving the TA.

No employee should be saying anything like that REGARDLESS whether or not he/she can be heard by the passengers. I'm pretty sure the employee didn't know the mic was open train wide, he knows dam well that can be cause for a rapid dismissal.

1.You should never be cursing on a job, especially if you know someone can hear you.

Personally I have very thick skin and don't get offending by cursing so I don't really get why everyone gets offended by that, but whatever, to each their own. In any case, I think the usage of a swear word should take a backseat in this situation to the wildly callous, inappropriate and disgusting sentiment by the engineer, which would not have been improved at all had he omitted the word "motherf*cker".

Personally I have very thick skin and don't get offending by cursing so I don't really get why everyone gets offended by that, but whatever, to each their own. In any case, I think the usage of a swear word should take a backseat in this situation to the wildly callous, inappropriate and disgusting sentiment by the engineer, which would not have been improved at all had he omitted the word "motherf*cker".

It's not about offending someone, it about showing respect for others. Like in today's generation of teens, we curse so much it is a bit hard to stop. But we do know about when we should not be cursing, even as we do slip up from time to time.

The way teens cursing is not the main thing I am pointing out here. I just have it as background info for what I really want to say....

Today, in my government class, the teacher went up to one of the classmates and made her feel uncomfortable because the teacher was in front of her face. The teacher mocked the student, and as a result, the student flipped out on the teacher and these exact words came out her mouth:

Get the f**k out my face you dickhead.

This shows not the student trying to offend the teacher, but the student being very disrespectful to the teacher. Similar case here. The worker showed ultimate disrespect by saying "I hope that motherf**ker suffered." The cursing done by him makes him look worse to other people because he sounds unprofessional. If you want a job, you have to learn how to not curse or you will be immediately dropped from your job.

If the student had said "Get out of my face", would it have been any less disrespectful?

I rest my case. I'm not defending the actions of the engineer, all I'm saying is that the addition of a swear word to his statement doesn't make it any better than it would be sans swears. The worker showed ultimate disrespect by celebrating the death of another human being, cursing whilst doing so does not worsen the situation in any way.

If the student had said "Get out of my face", would it have been any less disrespectful?

Maybe not to you, but to certain people and at certain places, it is unacceptable. As I said earlier, swearing is the difference between a job and being jobless. It's an act of professionalism. Of course, you can say whatever you want to your friends like, "what's up my nigga?", but you don't go up to your boss while working and say the same exact thing, no matter how close you are with him/her. As one of my favorite characters from pokemon (turns 20 in a few days, I feel old :D) would say, there is a time and place for everything.

You can believe whatever you want, just saying that not everyone will have the same viewpoint as you.

Maybe not to you, but to certain people and at certain places, it is unacceptable.

Well, that's too bad. If people avoided saying anything trivial that offended anyone, we might as well stop talking to each other, forever.

Employees shouldn't swear to cover themselves, not because they owe it to the easily offended that they don't offend their precious ears. I'm not saying to go into a kindergarten class and start cursing it up, but if you, hear an employee swear, with no added sentiments, it's hardly a reason to wish for them to be fired. To add, there's a lot of horrid stuff in the world to get genuinely offended at, maybe the easily offended should worry about that (including the casual use of racial slurs in conversation, which is a far different thing than regular swearing).

The engineer should be fired because he uttered a deplorable statement. This statement would have been equally deplorable had it been enhanced with 100 curse words in a row or none at all.

Well, that's too bad. If people avoided saying anything trivial that offended anyone, we might as well stop talking to each other, forever.

Employees shouldn't swear to cover themselves, not because they owe it to the easily offended that they don't offend their precious ears. I'm not saying to go into a kindergarten class and start cursing it up, but if you, hear an employee swear, with no added sentiments, it's hardly a reason to wish for them to be fired. To add, there's a lot of horrid stuff in the world to get genuinely offended at, maybe the easily offended should worry about that (including the casual use of racial slurs in conversation, which is a far different thing than regular swearing).

The engineer should be fired because he uttered a deplorable statement. This statement would have been equally deplorable had it been enhanced with 100 curse words in a row or none at all.

Ok, I'm on board with the conductor not getting a different punishment with or without cursing. However, I still stress the point that cursing does effect your job.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2012/08/02/watch-your-mouth-cursing-in-workplace-could-get-fired.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/07/25/cursing.at.work.cb/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141210164400-195295603-the-f-word-will-swearing-at-work-get-you-fired

A few links I looked at to see what happens when you curse at a job. These links say that it doesn't always guarantee you being fired, but it does affects your ranks and promotions. Even little mistakes can be noticed if you are not careful enough. So yes, you are correct that (most times) cursing will not effect your outcome if you say something bad, but put it in regular talk during work and you will get a look.

Are you actually laughing at this?  You make me sick.

Spare me with your "concern" for that teen.  Your phoniness makes me sick.

---

@Truckie... So Truckie, I'm waiting for your feedback on this.  Mighty quiet over there.  Nothing to say about your colleagues' behavior eh?  I was walking from my train this morning in Grand Central to get a macchiato and overheard one guy talking about how the (MTA) is cracking down on everything.  I said to myself, that's why you guys make six figures... I honestly don't think that guy cared much about his train being late.  More like he was pissed he would get home late...

Ok, I'm on board with the conductor not getting a different punishment with or without cursing. However, I still stress the point that cursing does effect your job.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2012/08/02/watch-your-mouth-cursing-in-workplace-could-get-fired.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/07/25/cursing.at.work.cb/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141210164400-195295603-the-f-word-will-swearing-at-work-get-you-fired

A few links I looked at to see what happens when you curse at a job. These links say that it doesn't always guarantee you being fired, but it does affects your ranks and promotions. Even little mistakes can be noticed if you are not careful enough. So yes, you are correct that (most times) cursing will not effect your outcome if you say something bad, but put it in regular talk during work and you will get a look.

Look, I get what you're saying. I'm not saying that cursing won't affect you at your job, I'm just saying it's a poor reason to. I get it if the employee, say, curses out a client, but if they curse to themselves, then I don't see the problem.

People shouldn't swear at their work, not out of an obligation to society, but to cover their own asses and make sure that their employer, and, where applicable, the public, don't have further ammunition to use against them.

Spare me with your "concern" for that teen.  Your phoniness makes me sick

LO-FREAKING-L

No one gives a rat's ass about you getting a macchiato, or your lavish spending on clothing and chintzy crap, or your rich, "protected," and sacred enclave-of-the-Bronx-that-isn't-part-of-the-Bronx, or your stupid express bus journeys.

LO-FREAKING-L

No one gives a rat's ass about you getting a macchiato, or your lavish spending on clothing and chintzy crap, or your rich, "protected," and sacred enclave-of-the-Bronx-that-isn't-part-of-the-Bronx, or your stupid express bus journeys.

That's fine.  Just don't pretend to have concern for this kid.   Your only concern is to take lame cheap shots. Nothing more.  It's clear that you have nothing to add on this topic and haven't at all.  Save your schizophrenia for someone who cares to hear it.

Look, I get what you're saying. I'm not saying that cursing won't affect you at your job, I'm just saying it's a poor reason to. I get it if the employee, say, curses out a client, but if they curse to themselves, then I don't see the problem.

People shouldn't swear at their work, not out of an obligation to society, but to cover their own asses and make sure that their employer, and, where applicable, the public, don't have further ammunition to use against them.

Quite frankly, the only reason this is news is because this guy was heard over the mic.  Otherwise, I'd argue that it's part of the routine for people to make off-cuff comments.  I doubt he was the only one with something like that to say.

That's fine.  Just don't pretend to have concern for this kid.   Your only concern is to take lame cheap shots. Nothing more.  It's clear that you have nothing to add on this topic and haven't at all.  Save your schizophrenia for someone who cares to hear it.

Quite frankly, the only reason this is news is because this guy was heard over the mic.  Otherwise, I'd argue that it's part of the routine for people to make off-cuff comments.  I doubt he was the only one with something like that to say.

Not in my experience. It's a RARE occurrence for train crews to talk anything at all about passengers. Aside from "hey where ya going for lunch later?" or "hey someone asked me what train to take to get off at X stop" everything on the intercom system is kept road related. On the Subway it's common for an IC to be open train wide or at least for a car or two. Everyone knows this so people are careful. Fact is the MTA is full of professionals that make it look easy day by day, there might be a knucklehead here and there but they are far in between.

Sometimes the job can put huge stress on you're personal life, or the passengers can drive you bonkers or you're having a day that you are on the train basically you're entire tour. I'm sure this particular employee had some human things going on in his life but everyone in Transit has a saying "it is what it is" and then you calm down. Whatever problem you think you're having on the road or you're personal life is insignificant in the Transit Authority because for the past 100 years everyone else has been there or is going to be there.

Archived