MTA board member calls for subway ban on repeat offenders

Harry

post-5097-0-36703900-1454682572_thumb.jpg
Sick of the gropers and phone swipers who repeatedly target the riding public, an MTA board member wants the agency to make sure these repeat offenders stay out the transit system. Allen Cappelli, who’s also a defense attorney, said he’ll press the Metropolitan Transportation Authority this month to create a unit — costing around $250,000 — that tracks prosecutions of suspects with hefty records of subway crimes and works with district attorneys to make subway bans part of plea deals or terms of probation. “It ought to be on the table right up front,” he said. “Are we expressing ourselves clearly, to the appropriate district attorney, about the seriousness of this person, whose occupation seems to be to go into the subway and rob people?” he added.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-36703900-1454682572_thumb.jpg

The real question is how in the world would they enforce such a ban?  I'm almost laughing thinking about it.  There are hundreds of stations in the system... 

Basically, if you're caught being in the subway when the terms of your probation indicate you shouldn't be, the punishment will be a lot worse. (I would assume you would've had to commit another crime such as jumping a turnstile or robbing somebody for them to actually confront you). 

Basically, if you're caught being in the subway when the terms of your probation indicate you shouldn't be, the punishment will be a lot worse. (I would assume you would've had to commit another crime such as jumping a turnstile or robbing somebody for them to actually confront you). 

I got all of that.  The point is there is no real effective way to enforce the ban aside from trying to scare the offenders into not entering the system again.

The NYPD is more technologically advanced than you think they are. All they need is a Smartphone connected to the NYPD face recognition database and a name to watch out for. Then staff officers at the stations the person is known to use most or is likely to use.

The NYPD is more technologically advanced than you think they are. All they need is a Smartphone connected to the NYPD face recognition database and a name to watch out for. Then staff officers at the stations the person is known to use most or is likely to use.

There's no way they are going to be devoting those kinds of resources to this. Anti terrorism is the main priority

There's no way they are going to be devoting those kinds of resources to this. Anti terrorism is the main priority

The resources already exist and it's not that hard to implement. The database already exists. Just create an app for Police Officers to use that only they can access and voila.  Also, Anti-terror is doing its job so effectively that there are many plots and attacks that have nearly happened in the last few years, and the media has gotten not one word. I've heard some things sir. 

The resources already exist and it's not that hard to implement. The database already exists. Just create an app for Police Officers to use that only they can access and voila. Also, Anti-terror is doing its job so effectively that there are many plots and attacks that have nearly happened in the last few years, and the media has gotten not one word. I've heard some things sir.

Your optimism about cutting through the beurecratic red tape to make an app and share it with regular beat cops is impressive. I'll believe it when I see it

Your optimism about cutting through the beurecratic red tape to make an app and share it with regular beat cops is impressive. I'll believe it when I see it

LMAO... I think he's living in (MTA) fantasy land where we have MASSIVE amounts of taxpayer dollars to throw away.  Then again he's probably still a teenager anyway, so he's not paying high amounts of taxes like we are.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Mr. Cappelli is on to something as he is one of the few members of the board that presents ideas and is not just there to fill the position. With all the news about crime in the subways, Mr. Cappelli recognizes something that is vital to all of us namely "public perception of the subway".and its impact. When people read about slashings, cell phone robberies, the refuse breaking into subway cars and other similar things, it makes people nervous and they avoid riding the system. With our illustrious mayor and his comrades in the city council are trying to destroy everything that helped this city get to where it is today and not repeat the John,Lindsay, Abe Beame  and Ed Koch years, Mr. Cappelli is a breath of fresh air who does not want to see that happen again.

What this app does is that it will provide the information that the police officer needs to recognize these jerks in the subway. What it also will do is it will increase the possibility that the individual will get caught and when the jerk keeps getting arrested time and time again and lands up doing time, the person may get the message and avoid the subway period. The DA's are involved here and must do their jobs by having the individuals do time and that is a key component of  Mr. Cappelli's proposal. The goal is to get these problems out of the subway once and for all.

Since the technology is there then the MTA could find the money or if it cannot (or want to) there are always City Council members that will find the money to pay for it as long as their name will appear in helping find the money.

Let's give it a try..

It's not optimism. Normal cops already have access to the crime database. How else do you think they run your name? Google it? There can be no red tape for something that already exists.

I think that Mr. Cappelli is on to something as he is one of the few members of the board that presents ideas and is not just there to fill the position.

From my experiences dealing with him, I think he did a pretty crappy job representing Staten Islanders, so as far as I'm concerned, yeah, he is just there to fill the position.

My comment was based on information that I gleaned from the "mainstream media" or from comments on various websites that cover transportation. The next time I check the Staten Island Advance on the internet (which I do regularly to check on the Movie Studio), I will review their articles on him. Many of the other members on the board leave me scratching my head trying t find out if they .will ever offer something constructive to improve the system. 

My opinion has not changed concerning the need for this app and the faster it is provided to the police officers, the better it will be for all of us. After hearing the illustrious mayor commenting today on crime in the subways, I feel that the money should be found quickly as the public's perception of the subway being safe can turn on a dime.

Archived