What's it like driving a subway car?

SomeGuy

Any T/O response or someone who has knowledge of operating a train car would be appreciated. Is it like driving a car in terms of how it handles and how does it feel? 

As per the rules of the site, "Posts about illegally operating train/bus equipment, trespassing on transit property, theft of transit property, or anything else illegal you will receive a 30 day ban on your user account. If you continue to break these rules, you will be permanently banned.  " 

However, to answer your question very briefly, from talking to one of the motormen who operate the Nostalgia Trains, who also works out of one of the yards, in which they operate almost anything and everything, you just have to get a natural "feel" for the different equipment which comes naturally. How long this takes is up to the individual.

If you really want to know the answer, check out the Guest Operator Program at the Shore Line Trolley Museum in which you can operate a Lo-V, an R9 and an R17. Click here for more information about their collections.

Example: As a result of taking the B/O 2613 Examination, I failed the 10-day training session back in February 2014. However, since I had a CDL Class A permit, I wanted to go ahead and get the Class A License by driving a tractor trailer. Although a bus and a tractor-trailer are two different vehicles, they have some things in common, like air brakes, making wide turns, calling out hazards, etc., and they also have differences as well, such as the size of the vehicle, doing the interior pre-trip inspection, backing up the vehicle, etc. With the amount of practice I got in the vehicle, which only came with time, not only was I ready for the road test, but I passed on the first attempt as well.

Archived