This has taken a lot of courage to type

NYCTNostalgia

Hey guys, this is definitely one the embarrassing things I've ever had to deal with. In the summer of 2014 I was on board an evening train to Grand Central from New Rochelle while I was away at school when suddenly between Pelham and Mt. Vernon the power went dead and we stalled over a small bridge. I honestly didn't think much of it until about 45 minutes later a woman began to panic and it freaked me out. The thought of "that could be me" freaked me out to the point that I had my very first panic attack. I kept my composure but on the inside I was losing it.

Ever since that incident every time I'm on the LIRR, MNR or subway and the train stops in between stations, I get really nervous and if more than a minute goes by, I begin to think what if that incident on the Metro North happens again. When that thought gets into my head I immediately start to panic.

I honestly do not know where this fear has come from, I've loved trains ever since I could remember. I find myself avoiding riding the train a lot and it's really frustrating. There's nothing more embarrassing when you start hyperventilating on a subway car I front of a bunch of people for no good reason, I've even compiled a list of segments where I will not ride the train because of risk of stopping in between stations.

1. (A)(C) between 50 St & 59 St

2. (4)(5) during rush hours between 125 St & Bklyn Bridge

3. (M)(R) between 67 Av and 71 Av

Deep down inside I know there's no threat to my safety but I honestly don't know how to get over this fear. Is beyond irrational but I can't help myself. I've finally decided to be open about my fear and hopefully you guys can provide insight on getting over this irrational fear. For any critics that want to point their finger and laugh at me, laugh on but I really need help. I hope you guys can offer me some really good insight. Thank you!

Well on the subway, they typically have emergency exits in place, or they'll send another "rescue" train. IDK if it'll help, but perhaps you can try forgetting about the experience, and the scream altogether (although that could be somewhat hard).

Also, you could try and see a psychologist, and see if that works out as well.

I think the best way to handle a fear is to confront it head on. As scary as it may sounds, I think you have to actually ride one of the segments you listed if you to get over your fear. While the train gets stalled, you should try to listen to some music or think about something else instead of the stalled train.

You guys' advice is very reassuring and I definely feel more at ease. As for confront my fears... I think that's do able. Whenever I get off the LIRR I literally walk to 6 Av for the (B) or (D) to avoid the (A) & (C) and it's honestly annoying, long block & crowded walk. Thank you guys so much!

It's not the same, but when another car hit the back of my car; I couldn't drive for a few months without constantly looking at my rear view mirror.  But as BM5 via Woodhaven suggests, in cases like these, I think it's correct to face it head on. Currently I'm driving the same way without fear of someone ramming behind me anymore.

Worse come to worse, seeing someone about it could help as well.

Hey guys, this is definitely one the embarrassing things I've ever had to deal with. In the summer of 2014 I was on board an evening train to Grand Central from New Rochelle while I was away at school when suddenly between Pelham and Mt. Vernon the power went dead and we stalled over a small bridge. I honestly didn't think much of it until about 45 minutes later a woman began to panic and it freaked me out. The thought of "that could be me" freaked me out to the point that I had my very first panic attack. I kept my composure but on the inside I was losing it.

Ever since that incident every time I'm on the LIRR, MNR or subway and the train stops in between stations, I get really nervous and if more than a minute goes by, I begin to think what if that incident on the Metro North happens again. When that thought gets into my head I immediately start to panic.

I honestly do not know where this fear has come from, I've loved trains ever since I could remember. I find myself avoiding riding the train a lot and it's really frustrating. There's nothing more embarrassing when you start hyperventilating on a subway car I front of a bunch of people for no good reason, I've even compiled a list of segments where I will not ride the train because of risk of stopping in between stations.

1. (A)(C) between 50 St & 59 St

2. (4)(5) during rush hours between 125 St & Bklyn Bridge

3. (M)(R) between 67 Av and 71 Av

Deep down inside I know there's no threat to my safety but I honestly don't know how to get over this fear. Is beyond irrational but I can't help myself. I've finally decided to be open about my fear and hopefully you guys can provide insight on getting over this irrational fear. For any critics that want to point their finger and laugh at me, laugh on but I really need help. I hope you guys can offer me some really good insight. Thank you!

As all the other posters have written, you are not the first nor the last person to have these fears, not by a long shot. This is much more common than you think. This is due to the old, caveman part of your brain which, from seeing that woman freak out, created an association between "stuck in tunnel" and "danger!!" Kudos for wanting to take care of it!

If you see a psychologist, as BM5 suggested, they can use what is called Exposure and Response Prevention, where they help gradually expose you to situations like being stuck in a tunnel in a gradual way so that you can control the panic. It is a scientifically proven way of helping you face the situation head on. It's simple stuff that really works for lots of people.

Thanks! I really appreciate all the help guys. I'm going to take all the advice into consideration.

My advice is to confront it head on as others have said.  We had two Metro-North derailments in my neighborhood and it freaked me out because I use the station.  I was particularly concerned last year during an ice storm when I took Metro-North into the city, but ultimately you have to keep living.  You can take precautions that help you feel more comfortable.  It's natural to have concerns.  What I will ask is do you drink a lot of coffee?  That can cause you to have panic attacks also.  I drink coffee just about every day, and what I will do is cut back if I feel anxious or I'll skip an espresso or a macchiato and drink something less stronger like a cappuccino.  The other thing you can do is meditation or anything that relaxes you.  My thing is beer or wine.   I get Belgian or German beer with high alcohol content and just mellow out or some Italian or French wine.  Some "people" like hitting the bong... lol I won't go into that  :D, but you get my drift.  Look for things to relax you.  Sleep, sex, booze... Whatever you enjoy, do it (in moderation)...  :D Believe me, at the end of the day, you have WAYYY more things to enjoy in life than to worry about.

Archived