6th and 8th Ave Track Construction

nabilm16

Hey Guys, in the past few weeks I have noticed track construction along the 6 AV line, the locations where the work takes place are marked with "I/J". Below is a picture taken at W4 St this past Friday. Today, I also noticed these markings along the 8th Ave Line, as far north to 145th St. Out of curiosity I just wanted to know what is this project about ?

8QcU11e.jpg

Hey Guys, in the past few weeks I have noticed track construction along the 6 AV line, the locations where the work takes place are marked with "I/J". Below is a picture taken at W4 St this past Friday. Today, I also noticed these markings along the 8th Ave Line, as far north to 145th St. Out of curiosity I just wanted to know what is this project about ?

8QcU11e.jpg

Maybe for CBTC?

It probably does have to do with CBTC, although maybe not directly. 

This assuredly has something to do with resignalling/replacing the W4 interlocking machine. Logic dictates that I/J indicates the location of an Insulating Joint, the gap between two sections of rail where one block ends and the next begins. The conduits laying on sandbags will eventually be encased in concrete and will carry the wires from the rails of each block that allows the track circuit to be completed by the train and indicate an occupied block. 

The new interlocking will be "CBTC-Ready" - in that it will interface with the CBTC system when installed - so while the work isn't directly the installation of the system, it's a prerequisite for the installation of the system. (Technically, CBTC doesn't need insulating joints or track circuits)

This is all just logical assumption and not based on inside knowledge, but - I'm really really sure. 

Archived