Worst lines by you

trainfanrod

It seems like lines in the bronx are terrible are they inconsistent or full

Why does the MTA treat the 5 as a stepchild

Because they can.  Seems the folks out there in the Northeast Bronx neighborhoods care more about driving around and looking cute than using the subway, especially on weekends.

It seems like lines in the bronx are terrible are they inconsistent or full

Why does the MTA treat the 5 as a stepchikd

Because south of E. 180 St, there are no other stops the (5) has on its own. Every other stop is duplicated by another line.

What does that have to do with anything given the (5) isn't the only line like this?

Because it's only 5 stops in relatively low-density areas, and the same buses that feed the (5) train also feed the (2) train (and sometimes the (4) and (6) train).

I would assume that they do try to run the (5) train whenever feasible. Back when the (G) was cut back from Queens Blvd, they mentioned that they still had to pay the crews even when the line wasn't running, so that was the reason for making it official.

Because it's only 5 stops in relatively low-density areas, and the same buses that feed the (5) train also feed the (2) train (and sometimes the (4) and (6) train).

I would assume that they do try to run the (5) train whenever feasible. Back when the (G) was cut back from Queens Blvd, they mentioned that they still had to pay the crews even when the line wasn't running, so that was the reason for making it official.

It compares similarly to density around the Brighton Local stops and the Culver stops south of Church. Outside of Manhattan and the inner (from a proximity to Manhattan perspective) sections of the boroughs most of the city is relatively low density.

Because south of E. 180 St, there are no other stops the (5) has on its own. Every other stop is duplicated by another line.

the (E) has one sole stop weekdays, and three weekends and late nights. the (M) has no stops on its own railroad north of myrtle av/broadway. i think that's not a good reason for why service quality is good or bad.

The (6) is by far the worst. In Manhattan and the Bronx. ESPECIALLY the Bronx!

I think that the (6) is worse in Manhattan than in the Bronx. It's full and it tends to skip the East Harlem stops A LOT. My only issue with the (6) in the Bronx is that during weekdays, I feel like there are more <6> than (6). You could wait 10 minutes for a local while a 3 <6> pass by in succession.

the (E) has one sole stop weekdays, and three weekends and late nights. the (M) has no stops on its own railroad north of myrtle av/broadway. i think that's not a good reason for why service quality is good or bad.

It has to do with demand. The (E) is a more demanding route that the (5). The way I see it, Lex/53 is a popular station on the (E). You have a lot of passengers traveling there from Queens and from the West Side. It is the only route from the west side and from QBL Express to go to that station. If you cut the (E) (and (M))than you would have a lot of passengers transferring 2-3 times just to get to Lex/53. Compare that to the (5) where you would just have to transfer once at 149th or Nevins/Franklin to the (2) or (4) (unless you live near the Dyre Branch, than you have to transfer twice).

I think that the (6) is worse in Manhattan than in the Bronx. It's full and it tends to skip the East Harlem stops A LOT. My only issue with the (6) in the Bronx is that during weekdays, I feel like there are more <6> than (6). You could wait 10 minutes for a local while a 3 <6> pass by in succession.

The main issue with the (6) is that the battery runs used routinely skip the 68th and 23rd St stops. Too many Hunter and Baruch college students use those stops for any train to be skipping them. The Park Av South stops have a combined ridership of almost 90,000 boardings per weekday. Battery runs on southbound (6) trains should skip Union Sq (announce an xfer to the (4)(5) at 42nd), Astor Place and Spring St.  

It has to do with demand. The (E) is a more demanding route that the (5). The way I see it, Lex/53 is a popular station on the (E). You have a lot of passengers traveling there from Queens and from the West Side. It is the only route from the west side and from QBL Express to go to that station. If you cut the (E) (and (M))than you would have a lot of passengers transferring 2-3 times just to get to Lex/53. Compare that to the (5) where you would just have to transfer once at 149th or Nevins/Franklin to the (2) or (4) (unless you live near the Dyre Branch, than you have to transfer twice).

It's not about demand as the (5) makes more stops than the (E) does on weekdays and with how busy some of those stops are actually generates more boardings. It's an issue of turnover with the (E) having lower turnover than the (5). To put it in perspective Lex-53rd and Penn Station demand are much more central to (E) crowding than Grand Central or Fulton Street demand is to (5) crowding.

It compares similarly to density around the Brighton Local stops and the Culver stops south of Church. Outside of Manhattan and the inner (from a proximity to Manhattan perspective) sections of the boroughs most of the city is relatively low density.

The city in general yes. But compared to other neighborhoods in NYC with subway service (i.e. excluding Eastern Queens, Staten Island, etc), the Dyre Avenue is relatively low-density.

Of course, it's just a reason that a GO in that area is less disruptive than a GO elsewhere in the system. Not justifying it at all (especially since the infrastructure is already there, and the crews are being paid). As to the answer to that original question, I'm not sure what exactly is necessitating that weekend work.

It's not just that. The (E) connects with many buses to SE Queens at the last two stops in Jamaica, whereas the (5) train is more-or-less dependent on people living in the immediate area, as feeder service is less robust.

The main issue with the (6) is that the battery runs used routinely skip the 68th and 23rd St stops. Too many Hunter and Baruch college students use those stops for any train to be skipping them. The Park Av South stops have a combined ridership of almost 90,000 boardings per weekday. Battery runs on southbound (6) trains should skip Union Sq (announce an xfer to the (4)(5) at 42nd), Astor Place and Spring St.   It's not about demand as the (5) makes more stops than the (E) does on weekdays and with how busy some of those stops are actually generates more boardings. It's an issue of turnover with the (E) having lower turnover than the (5). To put it in perspective Lex-53rd and Penn Station demand are much more central to (E) crowding than Grand Central or Fulton Street demand is to (5) crowding.

The problem is that you have the people coming from the north who need to transfer to the L/N/Q/R, not just the (4)(5). You could end up overcrowding the next few express trains to pull into Grand Central.

The city in general yes. But compared to other neighborhoods in NYC with subway service (i.e. excluding Eastern Queens, Staten Island, etc), the Dyre Avenue is relatively low-density.

Of course, it's just a reason that a GO in that area is less disruptive than a GO elsewhere in the system. Not justifying it at all (especially since the infrastructure is already there, and the crews are being paid). As to the answer to that original question, I'm not sure what exactly is necessitating that weekend work.

It's not just that. The (E) connects with many buses to SE Queens at the last two stops in Jamaica, whereas the (5) train is more-or-less dependent on people living in the immediate area, as feeder service is less robust.

The problem is that you have the people coming from the north who need to transfer to the L/N/Q/R, not just the (4)(5). You could end up overcrowding the next few express trains to pull into Grand Central.

There's far more square mileage in East Queens that stands to benefit from feeder service to the (E) than there is in the Bronx with the (5).  Name one area that's not within walking distance of the (5) that doesn't already have convenient access to the (2) or (6). Any market the (5) could have within the NE Bronx outside of the immediate area is cannibalized by other routes. 

As far as the battery runs are concerned when you have one skipping the Park Av South stops you end up dumping half the train off onto an already crowded Grand Central platform. If Union Sq was skipped sure the riders there will further load the (4)(5) but if they can't make it on the next (6) is only a minute or two behind the one that offloaded them. If minimizing the number of offloaded passengers is the goal on a battery run than for the (6) skipping the stops I listed is better than the usual patterns of skipping the busiest local stops. 

There's far more square mileage in East Queens that stands to benefit from feeder service to the (E) than there is in the Bronx with the (5).  Name one area that's not within walking distance of the (5) that doesn't already have convenient access to the (2) or (6). Any market the (5) could have within the NE Bronx outside of the immediate area is cannibalized by other routes. 

Which is basically exactly what I said. I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

As far as the battery runs are concerned when you have one skipping the Park Av South stops you end up dumping half the train off onto an already crowded Grand Central platform. If Union Sq was skipped sure the riders there will further load the  (4)  (5) but if they can't make it on the next  (6) is only a minute or two behind the one that offloaded them. If minimizing the number of offloaded passengers is the goal on a battery run than for the  (6) skipping the stops I listed is better than the usual patterns of skipping the busiest local stops. 

The one time I recall using the 23rd Street (6) station (I was actually debating on whether I should just walk to Union Square for the (4)(5) before I swiped my MetroCard), it actually ended up being that 2 trains skipped the station, and the third one was jam-packed (and I had to wait a while between the first, second and third ones. So it might not always be "right behind". (Of course, that applies to riders heading to 23rd under the current scenario, or 14th under your scenario)

It's kind of analogous to the (1) train skipping stops between 96th & 137th. You skip busy stops like 116th (well, really 116th, 110th, and 103rd are all pretty busy), but at the same time, you get the train back into place that much quicker (as opposed to doing the battery run further north). 

The (2) I understand, but the (6)? Why is that?

Over the course of a typical workday, I'm literally anywhere from World Trade Center to East Harlem (I'm a walking messenger), and the (6) has the most consistent non-rush hour overcrowding. It's bearable coming down from 116th St, but crush loaded by the time it hits 68th St.

Any other line *usually* isn't as overloaded in the middle of the day. The Second Avenue subway should take off some of the pressure, but until it opens, there probably isn't much that can be done to relieve the overcrowding on the (6).

Archived