Darius McColloum's first ever TV interview

TheNewYorkElevated

It's like I'm drawn in.

That's from Darius McCollum's first ever TV interview. The transit criminal has been known to operate trains and buses through illegal means and has led to numerous of arrests in his life.

Read more: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Darius-McCollum-Notorious-Thief-New-York-City-NYC-Buses-Trains-Planes-368520401.html

In his first TV interview ever, notorious transit thief Darius McCollum told the I-Team’s Sarah Wallace that he wished he could stop stealing vehicles but does so compulsively. Sarah Wallace reports.

McCollum, who has been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, said that every time he does swipe a vehicle, he gets a rush.

What goes through my mind is the enjoyment, the thrill, the satisfaction to do it, and do it better than other people,” he said.

....with no regard for the safety of "other people".

The good old kleptomaniac defense.... I mean, this is what we're dealing with here

Yes he is but it's a form of autism that he has. He dosen't do this for attention, he does this to be happy. He kind of reminds me of me but without the obsession of robbing a vehicle.

I tutor kids that mainly have developmental issues (dyslexia, ADHD, etc.), so I'm aware of his situation.  That's precisely why he shouldn't be on the streets.  I'm just stating how his situation looks for the general public.  His fascination with buses isn't the problem.  He's a nut job for operating buses which could kill someone.

I tutor kids that mainly have developmental issues (dyslexia, ADHD, etc.), so I'm aware of his situation. That's precisely why he shouldn't be on the streets. I'm just stating how his situation looks for the general public. His fascination with buses isn't the problem. He's a nut job for operating buses which could kill someone.

Yeah he should look for help. He is lucky one of his drives weren't assaults. He should be kept away before that ever happens.

Yeah he should look for help. He is lucky one of his drives weren't assaults. He should be kept away before that ever happens.

Well this is where the city comes into play by providing help for people like himself.  Too many of these individuals walking around in the streets.  They're a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

Well this is where the city comes into play by providing help for people like himself.  Too many of these individuals walking around in the streets.  They're a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

Absolutely. With this consistent pattern of stealing, despite having gotten some treatment (from what I've read), he needs to be placed in a locked psychiatric facility for his own safety and the public's safety. 

Huh? A forensic facility means a jail for psychiatrically ill criminals. They are kept off the streets and get treatment so they stop committing crimes

great, someone else trying to co-opt my college science credit...

First the debate team, now this.

(I took ACTUAL forensics in high school as an elective and as my lab science credits at John Jay)

great, someone else trying to co-opt my college science credit...

First the debate team, now this.

(I took ACTUAL forensics in high school as an elective and as my lab science credits at John Jay)

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you disagreeing with my opinion that he should be in a forensic psychiatric facility? I'm not referring to forensics as in CSI forensics, rather to forensic psychiatric facilities.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you disagreeing with my opinion that he should be in a forensic psychiatric facility? I'm not referring to forensics as in CSI forensics, rather to forensic psychiatric facilities.

Just ignore him.  He's obnoxious as usual with his holier-than-thou BS routine.

Just ignore him.  He's obnoxious as usual with his holier-than-thou BS routine.

He told Harper's Magazine this (stated in one of the videos in the article).

"I know there's no such program as trains anonymous, but if I can get some kind of counseling it would be really beneficial towards me."

It looks like he needs help, not trouble. 

simple answer.

he knows what he's doing is wrong, and yet still let's it happen. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't try to stop himself. that means he's not "insanity defense" material. Just because he has urges to do so, doesn't make it right.

simple answer.

he knows what he's doing is wrong, and yet still let's it happen. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't try to stop himself. that means he's not "insanity defense" material. Just because he has urges to do so, doesn't make it right.

That's a pretty thin line you are creating. Do you know what his IQ score is? What about his executive functioning and impulse control abilities? How powerful are the obsessions? There are all sorts of factors that come into play here. He isn't acting maliciously or trying to hurt people. No one is saying he is "right." You can both commit a crime and have powerful obsessions, those two things are not mutually exclusive. Even criminals can benefit from psychiatric help. 

He needs a full psych eval, and I'd bet, dollars to doughnuts, that they would recommend placement in a forensic psychiatric facility, which is a jail with medication and therapy. These facilities both provide the punishment for the crime (i.e., they are jails) and also provide assistance to help him avoid the impulses in the future. These facilities are not the "free rides" people assume they are. 

There was the story about Keron "Keno" Thomas (rest his soul) that took the A train almost from end to end. He was a troubled youngster who turned his life around and ended up owning his own trucking company.

Guess Mr. McCollum never followed suit....

This is one of those issues where a person like him should be in a secure facility but will not get the treatment he needs based on the present situation. When the mental hospitals were emptied out, the problem just shifted to the jails and the cities who were totally unprepared to handle the problem as some mental patients need a structured environment and cannot function on the streets. The system is set up so that if a person needs long term care and should be in a hospital, he cannot get in there for a myriad of reasons.

In order to understand how the government got into this mess and why it will not get any better, I recommend reading E Fuller Torrey "American Psychosis" which explains the entire problem and proposes a solution.

This is one of those issues where a person like him should be in a secure facility but will not get the treatment he needs based on the present situation. When the mental hospitals were emptied out, the problem just shifted to the jails and the cities who were totally unprepared to handle the problem as some mental patients need a structured environment and cannot function on the streets. The system is set up so that if a person needs long term care and should be in a hospital, he cannot get in there for a myriad of reasons.

In order to understand how the government got into this mess and why it will not get any better, I recommend reading E Fuller Torrey "American Psychosis" which explains the entire problem and proposes a solution.

And now that problem has shifted to the trains subways and bus terminals (see Port Authority). I will read this, hopefully it's available on iBooks

Archived