What determines "Holiday" Service

Juelz4309

why is it that presidents day requires holiday service as to MLK day when service is run normally? ...All the same services  (post office,wall street,etc) are closed both days so why run diffrently??? I just look at it as MTA Feels mlk day "isnt that serious" like coulumbus day or somethin......With all due respect to all the dead presidents..but either its a NATIONAL holiday on the calender or it aint...So Run the services accordingly feel me! ..Not to mention it sucks I have to work Monday so I gotta leave earlier for such a somewhat "mundane" holiday..Its not like families are getting together and people travel....its just a day off..Same with mlk day to most people...so wat gives..Jus somethin I noticed

why is it that presidents day requires holiday service as to MLK day when service is run normally? ...All the same services  (post office,wall street,etc) are closed both days so why run diffrently??? I just look at it as MTA Feels mlk day "isnt that serious" like coulumbus day or somethin......With all due respect to all the dead presidents..but either its a NATIONAL holiday on the calender or it aint...So Run the services accordingly feel me! ..Not to mention it sucks I have to work Monday so I gotta leave earlier for such a somewhat "mundane" holiday..Its not like families are getting together and people travel....its just a day off..Same with mlk day to most people...so wat gives..Jus somethin I noticed

I think NYC is just on the cusp of transitioning MLK, Presidents', Veterans and Columbus Days to functioning as regular weekdays, for the most part.  You have to remember that the NYC region still has a lot of companies that give their workers the days off, and winter holidays like MLK and Presidents' Days could flip either way dependent upon weather.  People could be off, but have a good polar freeze or snow event and those off will opt to stay home.  Also part of it is whether K-12 schools are off, also leading to lower volumes.

It's still a crapshoot here in Detroit, because anything retail/service operates on those holidays just like any regular weekday.  But for commuters, you can definitely see a volume drop.  I thought similarly, since DDOT and SMART operate regular weekday on these holidays (six holidays see Sunday service, no reduced-weekday or flipping to Saturday), but DDOT doesn't get too phased since most people who the bus as the only option still get around, and SMART regular users use it for work purposes (i.e. service industry more heavily).  Both also have a good share using fixed-route for medical appointments if paratransit is closed/altered.  Here, also, more autoworkers used to use the buses, but the unions have written any "national" holiday into contracts as days off, but those riders are now replaced by service industry riders.  In the end, around here I think they think the riders would get too confused by altering service the way the MTA does, so they just run regular weekday.

At least you guys have some semblance of "normal" service, even when MTA runs Sunday schedules.  SMART operates only 13 routes on those holidays, and there are vast stretches where you're screwed: facing either nothing, a looooong walk, a bike ride or an expensive cab ride.  Most people then just tell their employers they have to be scheduled off, which in today's tight labor market, could put a black mark against them in the long run.

Many companies take off for MLK day (which has only been a national holiday since 1986) that used to not and some Universities I believe are still on winter break and if not do not have classes that day, whereas on Presidents day, most Universities do have regular classes and most companies stopped giving that day off 25 years ago (I remember because Presidents Day weekend (especially pre-1982 when it was still Washington's Birthday) was the first major holiday weekend of the year, though that was beginning to be phased out following the 1982-'83 recession and much more so after the 1990-'91 recession).

I think it might also have to do with the unions at the MTA and what holidays they negotiated for.

CUNY had both President's Day and Abraham Lincoln's birthday off. So four day weekend.

Almost no one gets Lincoln's birthday off anymore.  For 99.9%, it's a normal day.

That one really stopped being a holiday after 1982 when we had the exact same setup as this year and a recession shortly afterwards (as noted, that was the first year the holiday was officially known outside New York as President's Day, in New York it was still recognized as Washington's birthday).

Almost no one gets Lincoln's birthday off anymore.  For 99.9%, it's a normal day.

That one really stopped being a holiday after 1982 when we had the exact same setup as this year and a recession shortly afterwards (as noted, that was the first year the holiday was officially known outside New York as President's Day, in New York it was still recognized as Washington's birthday).

This is true.  Fewer and fewer companies in the private sector give Martin Luther King and President's Day off.  Some companies make them optional, and since so many of us work with clients all over the world, most of us come in and work.  The days are usually quiet, but there is always a project or projects to work on.  I remember years ago on Staten Island, the express buses that did run were packed.  I think some modifications should be made to run more service on both days where necessary.  

The other thing that I usually notice that is just about everyone who isn't African-American works on Martin Luther King Jr. If you look at any business where African-Americans are employed, those people have to be replaced if it's a business that is open on that day, so I've noticed that both days have far more people traveling to work than in the past.  I work on both days, but usually take Columbus Day off being Italian-American, but even that day you see a lot of people working.

Maybe that's how it is where you work, but at my job, the entire office was closed on MLK Day, with the exception of those who had to meet deadlines they couldn't the previous Friday. From what I heard from one of my co-workers, he was the only person in that day.

Maybe that's how it is where you work, but at my job, the entire office was closed on MLK Day, with the exception of those who had to meet deadlines they couldn't the previous Friday. From what I heard from one of my co-workers, he was the only person in that day.

Actually even though a lot of the financial firms are officially "closed", I see plenty of people going into UBS, Chase, Société Générale, etc. on Park Avenue because we're becoming more and more of a global oriented workforce.  I always have projects to work on now on MLK and President's Day.  All of these days are optional for me, but I usually come in so that I can catch up on work.

Archived