W train coming back this fall

R32 3838

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(W)elcome back

Source:http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2016/02/19/w-train-is-coming-back-.html

The (Q) will go back to 57th street until 2nd ave opens

The (W) will operate between Astoria and Whitehall street

it was known that this would happen, but it is still good to hear. Thanks for posting.

They should really take advantage of this and have some W trains either run via the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. The ideal route would have it run to Bay Ridge, but like the problem withe R until 1987, it would mean that it would have no terminal access. Using the walled off portion of the Fourth Avenue Line past 95th Street for a yard as it was intended would do the trick. I learned about this area from tunnelrat.

They should really take advantage of this and have some W trains either run via the Sea Beach Line or the West End Line. The ideal route would have it run to Bay Ridge, but like the problem withe R until 1987, it would mean that it would have no terminal access. Using the walled off portion of the Fourth Avenue Line past 95th Street for a yard as it was intended would do the trick. I learned about this area from tunnelrat.

There are not enough cars ATM. I could see a Brooklyn (W) extension happening only after the R179s are here.

Does anyone have a link to the MTA press release? I don't see it on the home page...

There are not enough cars ATM. I could see a Brooklyn (W) extension happening only after the R179s are here.

Does anyone have a link to the MTA press release? I don't see it on the home page...

I know that. I sure hope that they do.

'tisn't there at the moment

For some raisin it is only on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153423414284607&id=232635164606&substory_index=0

You guys forget that the first 3 (W) trains of the day begin northbound at 86 St via the Sea Beach Line, 4 Av Line and the Montague Tube and so on. The last 3 (W) trains of the evening continue south and end at Kings Hwy. They did this pre-2010 and will so again.

But I doubt they'll ever extend any line into South Brooklyn to "help" the (R) for obvious reasons.

You guys forget that the first 3 (W) trains of the day begin northbound at 86 St via the Sea Beach Line, 4 Av Line and the Montague Tube and so on. The last 3 (W) trains of the evening continue south and end at Kings Hwy. They did this pre-2010 and will so again.

Its probably gonna go via west end since sea beach is currently under construction

But I doubt they'll ever extend any line into South Brooklyn to "help" the (R) for obvious reasons.

I know that they did that. In a few years, perhaps, my parents will allow me to railfan that early or late to see that.

I understand that.

I'm talking about trips that are:

1. In the timetable

and 2. on the map and signage at each station

MTA's press release: http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-advances-work-second-avenue-subway-service

MTA Advances Work On Second Avenue Subway Service

MTA New York City Transit is proposing to hold a public hearing on restoring the w.png Line in Queens and Manhattan this fall, in order to allow the q.png Line to begin serving the Second Avenue Subway between 63rd and 96th streets when it opens later this year.

The Second Avenue Subway’s first phase will serve the existing f.png Line station at Lexington Av/63 St as well as three new stations at 72 St, 86 St and 96 St., integrating them as one system into the existing subway network – an unprecedented accomplishment in the MTA’s modern existence.

MTA Capital Construction will also award final contract modifications on work for the first phase in line with the established budget for the project. Both measures will be presented to the MTA Board for approval at public meetings next week.

“With every day’s work on the Second Avenue Subway, the MTA gets closer to fulfilling a promise first made to New Yorkers in 1929,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast. “Opening the Second Avenue Subway will provide new options for our customers and relieve congestion on Lexington Avenue 4.png5.png6.png trains.”

MTA Capital Construction continues to reach important construction milestones along Second Avenue. The 96 St Station has been fully energized with a permanent power supply, after successfully switching over from temporary construction power. In addition, the project’s final track crossover was completed north of the 72 St Station, allowing trains to switch tracks when necessary.

Adding the w.png Line to the system will provide more choices to Queens and Manhattan customers who use the Broadway n.pngq.pngr.png Lines, as well as allow New York City Transit to prepare for a seamless transition and connection of service between those lines and the Second Avenue Subway. New York City Transit is proposing to hold a public hearing on this service proposal in spring, in order to implement it by fall.

The proposed service changes would return the w.png to Astoria, where it will operate local service into Manhattan and terminate at Whitehall St. The line would effectively replace q.png service in Queens. The q.png Line will temporarily terminate at 57 St/7 Av, but will continue to 96 St upon completion of the Second Avenue Subway. In addition, n.png trains will operate express in Manhattan from 34 St-Herald Sq to Canal St, a change from its current local service in Manhattan. r.png service would remain unchanged.

More details of the proposed service changes are listed below:

•  n.png Line: Service in Queens and Brooklyn remains the same, but trains operate express in Manhattan on weekdays during peak hours, midday and evenings.
  •  q.png Line: Northern terminus temporarily changed to 57 St/7 Ave until the Second Avenue Subway opens. At that point, trains will operate from 96 St in Manhattan to Coney Island-Stillwell Av in Brooklyn, stopping at: 86 St, 72 St, Lexington Av/63 St, 57 St/7 Av and all express stops on the Broadway Line in Manhattan. During late nights, the Q will run local between Brooklyn and Manhattan via the Manhattan Bridge. Service in Brooklyn remains the same.
  • r.png Line: No service changes.
  • w.png Line: Restoration of weekday service, making all local stops from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Whitehall St via the Broadway Line. No service on weekends or late night.

The proposed service changes will provide a cross-platform transfer to the f.png Line at Lexington Av/63 St, giving customers an easy transfer to and from the Second Avenue Subway that will help alleviate current overcrowding conditions on the Lexington Avenue Line. The changes, including the restoration of the w.png, maintain service frequency and loading guidelines for customers in Astoria and avoid significant deviations from current service that might confuse customers on those affected lines. Customers on the Broadway Line will also benefit from an increase in choices for express and local service in Manhattan.

If the changes are approved, they will be implemented in fall 2016. The new terminus for the q.png Line would be implemented after the Second Avenue Subway opens, with the extension of q.png service to 96 St.

The cost for these service changes is approximately $13.7 million annually, which has been incorporated into NYC Transit’s approved budget.

w.png service was previously eliminated as part of service cuts implemented by the MTA in 2010 as a result of a global economic downturn that led to significant decreases in funding across all MTA agencies.

I know that they did that. In a few years, perhaps, my parents will allow me to railfan that early or late to see that.

Nothing really special to see, its more or less just a local (N) train.

They only ran like that since you can't fit all the stored trains at City Hall LL, and along Astoria.

Don't get the whole need for Public Hearings, when essentially it's just re-branding of service, no new capital construction is necessary, and the $14 million was inevitably going to be spent as part of the whole SAS re-alignments.  Were public hearings held when the previous 2010 service cuts were going to be reversed for every restored bus route or subway schedule adjustment?  Sounds like just an excuse to spend additional money when there's not a substantial service impact on the commuting public.  Just an observation.

Don't get the whole need for Public Hearings, when essentially it's just re-branding of service, no new capital construction is necessary, and the $14 million was inevitably going to be spent as part of the whole SAS re-alignments.  Were public hearings held when the previous 2010 service cuts were going to be reversed for every restored bus route or subway schedule adjustment?  Sounds like just an excuse to spend additional money when there's not a substantial service impact on the commuting public.  Just an observation.

I believe hearings are required for every service modification which is substantial enough to require it. Some of the restorations certainly have had hearings, if not all. 

Archived