Show your support for NYC transit forums

MysteriousBtrain

2/27/16

In an effort to provide the best transportation solutions, advocate for stellar transit options, and continue operating a world class discussion forum, the senior staff here at NYC Transit forums will suspend all posting, moderating, and administrative duties. Effective immediately, all official MTA Bus Operations information has been removed indefinitely. At 12:01am 2/28/16, we will no longer respond to private messages. If you would like to see this information return, express your support for NYC Transit Forums and the industry as a whole.

It's time for NYC Transit Forums 3.0 and we now have an opportunity to work directly with MTA to provide you all with information that is as accurate as possible. If you support NYCTF and our team, we ask that you express what NYCTF and this information means to you. If you want a direct link to the MTA board of directors to hear your voices through this platform, and continue to make NYC and area transit the best they can be, let them know!!!

If you want a new NYCTF that has direct factual information that can be implemented and discussed by all who want to have an opinion, and know that the MTA will actually hear what you have to say, express that in this thread. If you want East New York aka Dante, official consultant who's LinkdIn is even endorsed by the Department of Buses to continue providing you all with breaking industry news, please express that.

If you want to continue being provided with exclusive information and top quality photos from Senior Moderator Cait Sith (aka Shane) please express your appreciation for what he does.

If you want the best Administrator (Seven Eleven aka Deme) in this transit business to continue to help me to provide you all with tip top information, on one of the best platforms ever created, let your voice be heard!!! After expressing your opinion, please comment on how you would like to see NYCTF improve, and then end it with the hashtag:

#United4NYCTF

We Thank you all for your support! Transit focus, and member driver, this is your forum! It's time to express yourselves. It's time for the New NYCTF. The one we have all been waiting for. We love what you have provided for us all Harry, now lets take it to the ultimate level!!!!

I love this place, and since my first post in 2008 I was sold.... Let the good times roll again!! We have your back, but we need your help.

Signing off until further notice:

Administrator, Seven Eleven

Sr. Moderator, Cait Sith

Sr. Moderator, East New York

Please post here to support the forums and let the next site begin to entertain our foaming minds.

Alright since I finished letting this thread spread out to everyone (honestly didn't feel like this info belonged in a bus operations thread), Let me tell you guys a story:

One day, like most children, I got obsessed with toy trains. As I grew out of toy trains, I became obsessed with real trains, specifically the MTA subway. I visited every subway station in NYC by 2015 last year. When I turned eight years old, I tried to help my family get to Rockefeller Center. No one listened to me because of my young age. When we asked an MTA employee, he said the same thing I said. That time was when my family started asking me for directions when they have to take the subway or bus to a location.

In middle school, I decided to teach myself more about the history of NYC transit after the 2010 budget cuts. I learned everything from the how subway fare used to be 5 cents to the different types of routes and stations that are no longer in service. For example, there used to be a Third Avenue elevated line in the Bronx before the early 1970s that was replaced by the Bx55 bus route (now Bx15 Limited as we all know) that made the same exact stops.

Starting in 2012, I began to travel in the city by myself. Then a year later, I began taking some photos even though I kind of felt uncomfortable when people looked at me. Starting August 2014, I joined the forums and more than before, began to travel around the city in the buses and trains to take some pictures. 2015 was the start of videos of public transit in NYC via YouTube and NYCTF.

Exploring the NYC transit system is one of my main hobbies (obviously), and would never be here without that hobby. I was inspired to go as far as Nassau county from the Bronx and got to see some locations like Inwood and Lawrence in Nassau via the Q113 and Q114. Just recently, to see more of New York, I rode BEE-LINE in southern Westchester and rode the new N20G route in NICE.

I am fascinated and inspired by the NYC transit system because of its interesting architecture with the subway’s tunnels, elevated portions, car and bus models used in the MTA system, and station designs. Sometimes, these rides on the buses and trains help me get away from life and go to my own calm place when I have a bad day. Sometimes on these trips, I help tourists get their way around the city when they ask me where to go, and that would make me feel great. The traveling and these forums sometimes helped me out with other subjects and projects in school. For example, I used math to help calculate the number of vehicles and models located in a bus depot if the system were to be my own, causing me to make a fantasy MTA wiki to better organize my ideas. I came here when I did a presentation of how the Doppler Effect is used on the Q50 bus and asked others if my project was good. I even learned new phrases when I look up articles involving transit like rolling stock and revenue service. I sometimes used these phrases in sentences for my English class.

The NYC transit system and forums feels like my life because it gives me a story of NYC and I KNOW that I am not the only oddball that obsesses over this shit. NYC's history shows me what the transit system can do now. I always find myself using buses and trains to get to many, many places as my family doesn’t have their own car to use. Even if we had a car, I would use the subway or bus to go places because the system is that interesting. Sometimes I would get excited when I see my favorite models of buses and trains and find it on a route I always use or ride like the NovaBus RTS bus on the Bx21 because of the nostalgia it gives on that route and the R32 and R160 trains on the (C) because it shows an odd future and the rough history of the cars used on that very same line.

Now recently, users here were getting out of control like B22 noticed and it's been getting out of control. Like in every major delivery thread, you would see, "when would delivery start?" or "how many units are ordered?" when most times, you can find the info in front of the respective thread or just do a simple Google search to answer the question. And if that info is not found, THAT MEANS THAT WE HAVE NO INFORMATION ON THE TOPIC AT THIS TIME. We newbies here know how you feel, and I remember when I was just like one of you. If you want to be here, you have to learn how to be patient and look around to see if your answer can be answered without waiting an hour for an answer.

Maybe that should be an added rule here. We should be encouraged to look around for an answer to our questions (and maybe even make one separate thread that shows all the info of every confirmed order without the ability to reply instead of putting it down in a discussion thread and making the chaos that mainly the newbies bring in). That way the moderators will be able to relax and not bother everyone here that just wants to have a discussion about where units are at.

Well, I think that's all I want to say. Hope the forums can continue, NYCTF 3.0 would be a better site that won't get that many confused newbies and then we all can have a great time here.

MysteriousBtrain

AKA mtamaster

AKA ShadeJay

AKA Julian Padilla

#United4NYCTF

LONG LIVE NYCTF!

At first, I had an account called Kew Gardens 613, and I had never been a forum before, and as a result did not know forum etiquette and I got banned. Several months afterwards, I created this account, and slowly I got used to the forums, and I found out what were good ideas and what weren't. On the forums, I have learned a great deal about the inner workings of the MTA, especially from Transit Workers like East New York. On the forums, I have found out that there are a lot of other people that share the passion of transportation like me, and this has helped me share my ideas and experiences with people who actually care. I think that it would be a huge loss if they don't return, as this would mean that the quality of content would go done significantly, and this would bring down NYCTF with it. Over the past few years, less and less users have been on NYCTF, and with an influx of nubes and a decrease in long time users, the quality of posts has gone done, and I think that in order to teach the new users, we need users like East New York to stay on the forums. I sure hope that more people support NYCTF, and help bring to a better level.

Long Live R32s and New York City Transit Forums.

<post removed>

Hey there Union Tpke. Just making a quick note (I'm not interested in this thread anyway). From now on, if you would like to contact me at any given time, go to "Your MTA Wikia". That's where MysteriousBtrain and I both make our own world of how the subway system should be (fantasy wise lol, but yeah). Or, you can contact me at Wikimedia Commons.

Thanks and hope you're doing well outside of the internet.

LONG LIVE NYCTF! #United4NYCTF Its a shame to see it go! May It come back bigger and better than ever I say!

(I hope it is coming back)

Hey there Union Tpke. Just making a quick note (I'm not interested in this thread anyway). From now on, if you would like to contact me at any given time, go to "Your MTA Wikia". That's where MysteriousBtrain and I both make our own world of how the subway system should be (fantasy wise lol, but yeah). Or, you can contact me at Wikimedia Commons.

Thanks and hope you're doing well outside of the internet.

Can I join this too? I'd love to put down my ideas somewhere...

Sometimes i wish that I was much younger than I am as I think back to the era when it was next to the impossible to find any information on New York City Transit during that time. This is why I am thankful  and grateful for Cait Sith, Seven Eleven and East New York for the information that they are providing in terms of pictures and bus information for those of us who cannot get to the Bronx or Queens or where I used to work, Charleston Staten Island. Back in the days when if someone did not inform you about the ERA or Branford, there was no way to meet railfans and find out transit history. If you went to the library and asked for this information, you would be looked at as though you were from outer space (and this is coming from a retired librarian). When I first started working in the field, I was asked to do a lecture on Transit history for a sociology class and in order to find the material, I had to ask people for help and they provided whatever they had available. Needless to say, I was asked back to do the class while I worked there until the middle of 1979 when I took another position. 

To me this is the only transit forum  that provides me with the information on buses and subways that my generation never had available unless you had a friend who was interested. When I worked on Staten Island, I traded information with a member of ERA who could not get out there and now the information can be seen with the click of a mouse. What disturbs me more than anything else is that instead  of the excellent work of Cait Sith, Seven Eleven and East New York  being appreciated, some of us (myself included) land up in unnecessary flame wars which unfortunately has become the norm in our society. What many on both sides (railfans and management) tend to forget is that this forum provides a fantastic source of current information on NYC transit  in seconds, not hours or days. Sometimes we should take the time to look back and think about how information used to be disseminated and then say I am thankful that I live in the information age today and thank those who have helped make this forum happen and keep it going!

Whatever help you need to keep this forum meeting the high standards that I has set over the years, feel free to ask me. 

Like most of us, I've been a Transit Buff for much of my life and basically I enjoy it NOT so much because of the equipment BUT the fellowship (whether it be online OR in person).

However, this issue right here needs to be resolved and I am giving this staff my support. It's awesome just to see the pictures, read the threads, etc. The information that "East New York" has provided has been a pleasure. With "Cait Sith's" photos and "SevenEleven's" roster and other contributions as well as their insight has made THIS particular community grow. Without ALL three...would this website be as popular as it is now? Can anyone of us TRULY answer that?

Something to think about.

A while ago (like 10 years), me and my father went on our first Nostalgia Train Ride trip. While waiting for the train after lunch, someone suggested to me to look on a certain site for more information. Upon finding this site, one of the things I really liked about this site was how the site was organized, between the MTA, other regional and transit systems, the employment section, etc. In late 2013, upon receiving my first letter in the mail from 180 Livingston Street regarding a drug test for the Bus Operator 2613 exam, I began referring to some specific topics on this site for the majority of the questions I had, since a lot of people already went through what I was about to go through. When doing so, I felt a lot more comfortable knowing that I was not alone in the process, especially since I met one of the other members at Zerega back in February of 2014.

After training, I still remained on the site to help out whoever was about to go through the process. Like I’ve said in the past, one of the things about my instructor, compared to the others, was that he let us “borrow” handouts, initially to look at, to help us through the training process. With the help of Mother Nature who provided us with a snowstorm at the appropriate time, I was able to scan them, and not only save them for future reference, but also share them with not only the members of this site, but with everyone else, since you don’t need to be a registered “member” to view the information on this site.

Therefore, as far as what the site means to me – since I primarily overlook the “Transit Employment Forum,” the site to me means giving those folks who are members, and those non-members who just view the information, an extra edge to not only successfully make it through the hiring process, but to also have a successful career at NYC Transit. Although I failed the 10-day Bus Operator Training session in February of 2014, I still share the invaluable handouts, compared to being selfish to myself, share my knowledge and my thoughts about certain topics, etc. to help those folks have that extra edge to be successful.

One of the members did “report” this as whether this was official or unofficial. From what I am reading on Facebook, I can truly understand where they are coming from.

In conclusion, “treat others the way you want to be treated.” If others treat you like s**t, then you should treat other folks like s**t too.

Also, in case any of you are curious, I will only moderate the Transit Employment Forum until further notice as well.

#United4NYCTF

I've been a transit fan since I was a little boy. When I was 12, I joined NYCTF under the moniker Transitkid4608. I've done most of my posting about NJ Transit and SEPTA because back then, that is what I focused on the most. When I moved to NYC for college earlier this year, I was exposed to the (MTA) 's diverse fleet and system and I became focused on them too. Thanks to NYCTF, I've learned (and still am learning) about the every kind of transit equipment (MTA) owns and that's allowed me to look at the fleet in a vastly different way. These forums have been an integral part of my adolescence because not only did they provide me with a sense of community that I didn't feel in my hometown,they provided me with the inspiration for my career path. I'm hoping to one day work in the Transportation Planning field for either (MTA) or NJT. 

So it's with that I stand #United4NYCTF

I was interested in transit when I was young. My parents took me to places and things has changed at that time. Before the service cuts that occurred in 2010, I was in junior high and graduated moving on to High School. The New York Transit system caught me on interest because of the changes in fleet and new technology that'll be expanded till now (example, the converted 142As/ factory made 188s). Previous flashbacks like the M as it went through Lower Manhattan to Bay Parkway on the (D) line till after, a loop from Metropolitan Av to Forest Hills-71 Av. I also remember the suburban seats on local buses like the RTS 9300 series and the Orion V CNGs. From my four years of high school, I explored more of New York City and took notes of interest. Oh, that time of year, I had a flip phone and a Fujifilm camera lol. Later on, from my end of junior year to my senior year, I had a new smartphone and took pictures at that time. The more of my freetime I explored New York, the more that I thought that there are other transit systems to explore. Alot has changed in 2014, as I start to take interest other than transit photography to outside photography as well. I had lots of videos in my watch-later to know more about photography and the aspects of it. Now, I have a camera on me (that I recently acquired last year) and by learning more of photography, in class and by demonstration, my thoughts made me think what I should do next. 

Anyways, from that part of the message, this forums made a huge support to others interested in transit to share their thoughts as well, #United4NYCTF

Been waiting for an opportunity to say something, so here goes....

When I first joined, I was drawn by the veritable treasure-trove of information regarding past and current fleet assignments, interesting historical tidbits, and stories from employees about their experiences in the system.  I loved seeing newly-discovered pictures of unrebuilt SMEE equipment from the '80s as well as the first Redbirds.  Things like that are what keeps this place going.  There are also some things that need to be addressed, though.  Over the years, I noticed an influx of n00bs and a rise in misinformation, trolling, flamewars, and all kinds of craziness which would spiral out of control on a regular basis.  I think it triggered a lot of the really cool old-timers as well as some founding members to leave and move on, which is a real shame (I myself don't post as often cause sometimes there's simply too much foaming/drama/BS going on).  Also I feel like there are several people who are being 'public nuisances' and getting on everybody's nerves.  I'm not going to name names, but I think most of us who behave ourselves know who those individuals are.  I can recall a time a while back when a topic was started with a legitimate question regarding equipment moves and some a$$hole came in and completely hijacked the thread with something unrelated simply to put forward their own agenda.  I don't want to bug the mods about how things ought to be done and stuff, but maybe the B7 Limited Stop service needs to be restored LOL.... That said, I hope the Forums continue to be a place dedicated to New York transit and look forward to the new 3.0- keep up the good work!

Moving this over here:

My first trip on this site was back in 2009. I was in the sixth grade. My school had to do a painting for a senior home in Bensonhurst. Each school involved was assigned a location. My school got the subway. At this point I was interested in trains(I always was for a s far as I can remember) but I didn't know that other (grown :D ) people had this same interest.

My art teacher brought me into this painting and I started doing research. When looking for train picture for us to emulate, I came across this site. I was hooked! Here were people who had the same interest as me posting pictures and having dicussions. It helped that the second thread I read on this site was a KnightRider codebreaker photoset. That sealed the deal for me! :drool:

After a while where I read threads such as that monumental C40LFR thread, more KR codebreaks and the infamous codebreak of a New Flyer C40LF with Ulmer Park routes, I joined the site as a member in July of 2012. Instantly I became hooked.The fact of the matter is that NYCTF has been a part of my life for 4 years as a member and 7 years as a reader.

It was here where I read your inside scoops and first had the idea to work in transit and it has become my goal and a passion.

It may sound corny but you are an inspiration to me and I doubt that I would have wanted to do this without reading your posts or this forum.rock on! :rock:

Anything that improves this site further is something that I support. I look forward to NYCTF 3.0 and the increased connection with the industry and I hope you guys hit it out of the park!

Thank you ENY& to the rest of the moderators for everything you do!
Caleb Fossum

AKA Around the Horn

PS. I just have a few questions about the change if you don't mind answering...
1. When will the new NYCTF be ready?
2. Will everything from this iteration of the forums carry over?

#UNITED4NYCTF

Archived