s55 extension to Perth Amboy,NJ

DS4Ever

I today was looking at the SI bus map i have and i've noticed that the s55 southrn terminal is at Arthur kill road and Bloomingdale road. ..that same road has an access to the outerbridge crossing and thus access toPerth Amboy

The hypothetical s55 extension would leave Staten Island and hence the city and state to access Perth Amboy. ...the route would run down the Outerbridge towards the exit at Convery Blvd then run down said Blv. To Smith street to finallyreach the RR station...in ddifference to the s89 the s55 would make several stops at P. Amboy (possibly 6-7) and would have fair good connection to the NJT Railroad. .thus a Staten islanders can access to a rail and pay a decent fare (half cut down from Penn Station) and not have to go all the way to Manhattan to catch a train and head to the north shore

Also as the s55 connects to the s89 at the Eltingville Transit ctr one from Bayonne can reach Perth Amboy for just $2.75

But the main plot is for a good connection for the RR and access to this big moderate city...the service can stay unchanged weekdays only and lastly have the s56 not terminate at the Tottenville HS and just make a loop and come back to Hylan Blvd and terminate at Richmond ave and Hylan

I forgot to mention that even a person from Brooklyn (BayRidge Fort Hamilton) can access Perth Amboy for just $2.75 since the SBS s79 also connects to the s55 at the Eltingville T.C.

I don't know why there's been absolutely never any transit connection over the western border. The immediate other side might be industrial, but you do have the large cities like Perth Amboy and Elizabeth not far away.

In a way, it's sort of like an aobservatio I made a while ago, about how Bronx is connected to Manhattan far more than Brooklyn is connected to Manhattan, because uptown, you have a smaller river and more bridges, while you have a larger river and more sparse, larger bridge connections (though the ultimate reason is because two of those bridges have subway trains, though that's certainly not the case between western SI and NJ).

I don't know why there's been absolutely never any transit connection over the western border. The immediate other side might be industrial, but you do have the large cities like Perth Amboy and Elizabeth not far away.

In a way, it's sort of like an aobservatio I made a while ago, about how Bronx is connected to Manhattan far more than Brooklyn is connected to Manhattan, because uptown, you have a smaller river and more bridges, while you have a larger river and more sparse, larger bridge connections (though the ultimate reason is because two of those bridges have subway trains, though that's certainly not the case between western SI and NJ).

The Manhattan/Bronx thing is more of a historical thing; Brooklyn was its own city up til 1898, whereas the Bronx wasn't really anything until the city started annexing parts of the Bronx in the 1870s. It also helped that the Els which went north-south across Manhattan could be logically extended into the Bronx; going to Brooklyn would've required more expensive takings due to the necessity to curve east.

Is true the goethals bridge access Elizabeth and extendingmight say the s40 to elizabeth would also make several stops at the twinned city of Newark ...this route in difference to the s55 and s89 wouldbe 7 days a week but nnot 24 hours...in overnight hours s40 would . terminate att its curren . Terminus

The huge pproblem of the idea is thatt (MTA) scarce funds to make this fantasy a reality i mean it would be optionall MTA buseshave. Access to NJ and connect to the NJT Railroad or buses

In conclusion these . Bus extensions are needed since both Goethals and Outerbridgee ddon't have pedestrian walkways a thing only the Bayonne bridge has

Is true the goethals bridge access Elizabeth and extendingmight say the s40 to elizabeth would also make several stops at the twinned city of Newark ...this route in difference to the s55 and s89 wouldbe 7 days a week but nnot 24 hours...in overnight hours s40 would . terminate att its curren . Terminus

The huge pproblem of the idea is thatt (MTA) scarce funds to make this fantasy a reality i mean it would be optionall MTA buseshave. Access to NJ and connect to the NJT Railroad or buses

In conclusion these . Bus extensions are needed since both Goethals and Outerbridgee ddon't have pedestrian walkways a thing only the Bayonne bridge has

It's more than just funds.

You also need approval from the State of New Jersey.

But the main plot is for a good connection for the RR and access to this big moderate city...the service can stay unchanged weekdays only and lastly have the s56 not terminate at the Tottenville HS and just make a loop and come back to Hylan Blvd and terminate at Richmond ave and Hylan

What is at Hylan & Richmond that makes it so necessary for the S56 to loop backwards and rack up a ton of dead mileage (going through an empty part of Hylan Blvd)? Princes Bay & Woodrow already have access to the S59/79/89 at the Eltingville Transit Center. 

I though it would help the s56 but forgot that hylanBlvd between Luten av and Richmond ave is sparsely populated i was thinking of the bus access road there is that has to rest weekdays s54 and non peak hours s59 and peak hours s89

So new jersey decides for a (MTA) bus to access their jurisdiction. ..so when the s89 was created it was first consulted with NJ to make it a reality

New Jersey is a golddigger state since their bus routes are paid by zone (no other bus agency pays by zone except CT Transit express buses to Hartford but c'mon there express buses and must pay zoned fares) and don't want any other bus agency inside their jurisdiction i mean SEPTA buses are prohibited toenter NJ eexcept the rail that makes one stop at Trenton T.C. and West Trenton. ..also no bus from Delaware enters NJ...to date ONLY the NY State based (MTA) s89 enters the state although i think in far northwest the Allentown based buses enter NJ but for one stop

I can't say much to criticised New Jersey since a NJ Transit bus only makes one stop in New York (either the GWB terminal or the Port Authority) also the CT Transit Stamford 11 makes only one stop in NYS (unless you count the roundabout at the border line as another stop at NYS) but I-Bus makes more stops in New York than in Connecticut (6 in NY and 3 in CT)

But like mention i favour the s55 to Perth Amboy and s40to Ellizabeth since both bridges mentioned don't have pedestrian walkways and thus an access is only by carpooling or might i just say the illogical swim across hehe

But like mention i favour the s55 to Perth Amboy and s40to Ellizabeth since both bridges mentioned don't have pedestrian walkways and thus an access is only by carpooling or might i just say the illogical swim across hehe

If the S55 were to be extended to Perth Amboy, it shouldn't go all the way up Bloomingdale Road. It should cut across Englewood Avenue, serve Bricktown, and then go over the Outerbridge to Perth Amboy. There's no point in having people loop through the middle of nowhere to reach NJ.

As for the S40, being the quick link to St. George for much of the North Shore (and Richmond Terrace being as isolated as it is in some parts), it shouldn't be extended over the Goethals Bridge, for the risk of hitting too much traffic. Instead, what I've always been in favor of, is having the S98 run off-peak, and makes its way over to the Goethals Bridge. The S98 has a much greater catchment area than the S40, and offers much easier connections (for example, the S44 doesn't connect with the S40 until it gets close to St. George, whereas it connects to the S98 at Forest & Richmond). 

The reason that the both the S/55 and S/56 run on the streets that they do is that for the most part they are school routes with Tottenville High School and a couple of religious schools being the reason for weekday operation.

When I rode it from 2008/2010 when the correctional facility (now movie studio) was open, unless the kids were going to and from school or using their passes to go somewhere like the mall, you virtually had the entire bus for yourself as no one rode either route. While the route serves SIR stations I only remember a handful of people getting off and taking the train during rush hours. 

The extension to Perth Amboy makes sense as does the bus over the Goethals Bridge to New Jersey but unless one knows and understands the Byzantine rules and regulations of the states and agencies involved, and has every politician in the community supporting the change getting daily media coverage, there is no way that either one will be done.

It's more than just funds.

You also need approval from the State of New Jersey.

Judging from the proliferation of minibuses/jitneys between Hudson/Passaic Counties to Manhattan, I don't think that approval will be hard to obtain. 

Generally speaking, yeah, I also believe *something* should run b/w SI & Perth Amboy......

For starters, I've always said that the Hispanic community in Pt. Richmond would benefit from a bus route going to Perth Amboy....

Not necessarily, the "hispanic" community of Port Richmond is mainly Mexican whereas the Perth Amboy is heavily Dominican with a decent-size Mexican population. The North Shore would benefit if a bus connected to Bayonne, either the :njt: 10 or the 81 (at Richmond and Forest).

I think a bus to Metropark/Woodbridge Mall would be more beneficial.

Not necessarily, the "hispanic" community of Port Richmond is mainly Mexican whereas the Perth Amboy is heavily Dominican with a decent-size Mexican population. The North Shore would benefit if a bus connected to Bayonne, either the :njt: 10 or the 81 (at Richmond and Forest).

I think a bus to Metropark/Woodbridge Mall would be more beneficial.

Not disputing any of that the demographics of the two areas; I know Perth Amboy also has a sizable Dominican population.....

No comment on any (further) demand for North Shore - Bayonne travel......

SI commuters drive to Metropark for the RR; they're not going to be all that apt to taking a bus there (instead), so that's out....

I used to think running a bus b/w (somewhere in) SI to Woodbridge mall would loom beneficial also... but, it's the same story with SI-ers driving to that mall.... Don't think they'd abandon their car to ride out to that mall, and I really don't think you'll get much of any other SI-ers (the ones that don't drive & current utilize public transportation w/i the island) choosing to take a trip to Woodbridge over (already) going to the SI Mall..... I say that b/c Woodbridge is one of those "upscale" malls; better off running a route to JG over Woodbridge if the aim is to garner ridership from w/i SI heading to *a* Jersey mall.....

That said, I can't agree that running a bus to Woodbridge mall would be more beneficial than stopping well short of it, to end in Perth Amboy....

While we're on the topic of the S55, I find it interesting that the newer part of the route (west of Tottenville High School) actually sees more ridership than the portion of the route east of Tottenville High School, at least during the hours I rode it. Which is more of a testament to how low ridership is on the eastern portion and the route overall.

While we're on the topic of the S55, I find it interesting that the newer part of the route (west of Tottenville High School) actually sees more ridership than the portion of the route east of Tottenville High School, at least during the hours I rode it. Which is more of a testament to how low ridership is on the eastern portion and the route overall.

Last I been out to the south shore, Rossville/Woodrow patrons sought out the 74 (for obvious reasons; service-wise)..... The 55 was an afterthought....  Apparently things have changed....

Way I see it, at minimum, the s55 should be running to Bricktown, not (still) stubbed to end over there @ Vets rd/ Bloomingdale rd....

The MTA needs to let go of the past with that; the Arthur Kill correctional facility is gone (that's the main reason it stops dead at Vets rd like that)... Really no sense to continue terminating a route in the middle of nothing in-particular like that, when you have Bricktown ripe for the picking (usage-wise), so to speak .....

The Dominicans are fairly good at making jitneys but the problem is that they prefer to make the access to Manhattan and not S.I...for. example if a jitney service is to operate between Perth Amboy and Manhattan it would pass by law EElizabeth NNewark and Jersey City.to finally cross the Lincoln tunnel at weehawken

A guagua from Metropark/Woodbridge mall to NYC via Perth Amboy Elizabeth Newark Jersey City Pavonia Newport and Weehawken sound nice but most importantly have it commence at least in New Brunswick

Since in Staten Island the bus ridership is poor it wouldbe in vain make tthe s55 to Perth Amboy but c'mon maybe a miracle can happen and residents of Perth Amboy have a $2.75 charge tocross. The uncrossable bridge have an access to the SIR The SI Mall and lastly have a fair transfer at Eltingville. ..like checkmate said have it better godown Arthur kill road to Brockton mall and from there cross the bridge

I can assume that the (MTA) should make pilot trips especially in the rush hours and if the ridership. Reaches a threshold then it ia official. The s55 is extended to NJ

Also is a good idea the. S98 should be the nominee to cross Goethals and terminate in Elizabeth

Is true MTA should consult NJ for access its jurisdiction but hey one agency' . Must make the impossible possible or have the s98 access Elizabeth. Or extend NJT #62 to the Goethals road terminus of the s40 and have a good safe connection to MTA (s40 is 24/7) and have a good link for pedestrians to wish cross Goethals bridg .

Last I been out to the south shore, Rossville/Woodrow patrons sought out the 74 (for obvious reasons; service-wise)..... The 55 was an afterthought....  Apparently things have changed....

Way I see it, at minimum, the s55 should be running to Bricktown, not (still) stubbed to end over there @ Vets rd/ Bloomingdale rd....

The MTA needs to let go of the past with that; the Arthur Kill correctional facility is gone (that's the main reason it stops dead at Vets rd like that)... Really no sense to continue terminating a route in the middle of nothing in-particular like that, when you have Bricktown ripe for the picking (usage-wise), so to speak .....

When I was making regular trips to Pleasant Plains, a typical trip would have maybe 4-5 people after leaving the ETC. 0-1 passengers disembarking along Annadale Road, pick up 1-2 high school kids, maybe a pick-up and a drop-off at Seguine/Hylan, 2-3 people getting on at Princes Bay, 1 person getting on at Pleasant Plains, with a total of maybe 6-8 people on the bus as it turned up Bloomingdale.

Of the times I've taken up further up Bloomingdale, I'd say it's split 50/50 between south of Englewood (inclusive) and north of Englewood (non-inclusive) since Englewood is the street it would have to take to reach the mall. 

S74 buses regularly pull into the ETC (from the west) with like 15-20 people on them, easily. So yeah, even subtracting the Arden Heights riders and the riders from Bricktown itself, the S74 is definitely more popular in that than the S55 in that area.

Since in Staten Island the bus ridership is poor it wouldbe in vain make tthe s55 to Perth Amboy but c'mon maybe a miracle can happen and residents of Perth Amboy have a $2.75 charge tocross. The uncrossable bridge have an access to the SIR The SI Mall and lastly have a fair transfer at Eltingville. ..like checkmate said have it better godown Arthur kill road to Brockton mall and from there cross the bridge

I can assume that the (MTA) should make pilot trips especially in the rush hours and if the ridership. Reaches a threshold then it ia official. The s55 is extended to NJ

Also is a good idea the. S98 should be the nominee to cross Goethals and terminate in Elizabeth

Is true MTA should consult NJ for access its jurisdiction but hey one agency' . Must make the impossible possible or have the s98 access Elizabeth. Or extend NJT #62 to the Goethals road terminus of the s40 and have a good safe connection to MTA (s40 is 24/7) and have a good link for pedestrians to wish cross Goethals bridg .

We have almost 100,000 bus riders in SI. How is that "poor"? The average route in Perth Amboy runs, what once an hour? If ridership out there was so much better than SI routes, you'd be seeing a lot more frequent service. South Shore ridership is relatively poor, but even then, it still beats out a lot of NJ routes.

And I never said anything about going down Arthur Kill Road. I said specifically:

If the S55 were to be extended to Perth Amboy, it shouldn't go all the way up Bloomingdale Road. It should cut across Englewood Avenue, serve Bricktown, and then go over the Outerbridge to Perth Amboy. There's no point in having people loop through the middle of nowhere to reach NJ.

And NJT split the #62 at Elizabeth due to reliability issues. You want to recreate them by sending it over the bridge to connect with a single bus route (really, you couldn't even think of Forest & South, which has a lot more connections available)? 

That works too and it is more transit forest- south aves

NJT #62 was once considered the longest local bus route in Jersey. ..now that title is handed to chassis like coach bus #317 ...the truncation to Elizabeth is because the traffic on the NJT #62 is very busy. ..but extending over the bridge and terminate at Forest/South aves is a good idea and it can raise up more money after all i might assume a trip from Newark to Staten Island would be at $4.00 since it must pay the ezpass it uses to cross the bridge. ..btw it can access greatly to the airport of Newark which is very expensive to get to

Sorry didn't get you well. ..im in accord siince that area Bloomington road is much usedly for the s74

• 10 months later...

I last year never knew of this Woodbridge Mall now that know myself well. Forthe most part . A s55 to Woodbridge would by law pass through P.A. now the thing is that the s55 have more running in NY and not in NJ...in the MTA there isn't a bus route to run mmore outside jurisdiction ALL run in its territory. .maybe the q114 but the rockaways is NYC so that' . Out of the picture

I last year never knew of this Woodbridge Mall now that know myself well. Forthe most part . A s55 to Woodbridge would by law pass through P.A. now the thing is that the s55 have more running in NY and not in NJ...in the MTA there isn't a bus route to run mmore outside jurisdiction ALL run in its territory. .maybe the q114 but the rockaways is NYC so that' . Out of the picture

The s89 goes from Eltingville Transit Center/Staten Island to one stop in Bayonne, NJ (Hudson Bergen Light Rail - 34th Street Station) and is the only interstate route in the system where passengers are picked up and dropped off in two states.

Looking at the previous posts 

- There is no law in NJ where jitneys must follow a certain route to get from one destination or another.

- Tolls are irrelevant to MTA(buses deadhead from Manhattan via NJ all day and pay tolls to the Port Authority and NJ Turnpike Authority) or NJT;

- Extending NJT service to Staten Island from Elizabeth (Union County) probably won't be cost efficient (or realistic) given NJT's poor financial situation, with the new Goethals Bridge, people could walk between the two states (but it is probably not a good idea given the poor air quality) North Shore residents would like more ways to get to the ferry and Manhattan (they were recently very upset when trips on the x12/x42 was cut for some reason, but later brought back).

- The s55 ridership is absolutely terrible, outside of the PM rush hour (and school pieces) you will hardly see ten people on the bus. 

- Perth Amboy local buses are well used

- If considered a Perth Amboy -> Staten Island connection would likely be one stop and meet at Bricktown for the s74/s78 and be an NJT/Academy as Academy is a contract carrier for nearly all of Middlesex County exact fare intrastate buses. But again, given the poor financial situation of NJT, this is unlikely.

- An extension of the s55 is extremely remote as the MTA doesn't "do interstate" except for the s89 which has only a 7-8 dedicated with ever-declining ridership which the construction on the Bayonne Bridge cannot explain why.

- If considered a Perth Amboy -> Staten Island connection would likely be one stop and meet at Bricktown for the s74/s78 and be an NJT/Academy as Academy is a contract carrier for nearly all of Middlesex County exact fare intrastate buses. But again, given the poor financial situation of NJT, this is unlikely.

- An extension of the s55 is extremely remote as the MTA doesn't "do interstate" except for the s89 which has only a 7-8 dedicated with ever-declining ridership which the construction on the Bayonne Bridge cannot explain why.

Not sure what's unable to be explained. Heading into Bayonne, buses are forced to detour back down to Forest before they get onto the bridge. And then on top of buses that operate after 9am or after 7pm having to detour all the way to the Goethals Bridge (which adds a good 20 minutes), it's no wonder ridership declined.

As far as "doing interstate", hopefully the SI politicians will have enough pull to get the MTA to change its mind on that.

And the S89 starts at Richmond & Hylan, not the ETC.

Looking at the map, it almost seem like that people from Staten Island ALL Work in Manhattan or Brooklyn. However I know many people who drive to Bayonne/ Jersey City, or Elizabeth . We only need 30 min 7 day service to Elizabeth, and Bayonne. All other destinations, SI riders will have to transfer to regular NJT Bus. Maybe a weekend shuttle to Woodbridge Mall could work from the S Shore or Eltingville, just not sure there is the ridership.

Looking at the map, it almost seem like that people from Staten Island ALL Work in Manhattan or Brooklyn. However I know many people who drive to Bayonne/ Jersey City, or Elizabeth . We only need 30 min 7 day service to Elizabeth, and Bayonne. All other destinations, SI riders will have to transfer to regular NJT Bus. Maybe a weekend shuttle to Woodbridge Mall could work from the S Shore or Eltingville, just not sure there is the ridership.

You need some 7 day connectivity to that part of NJ. There's a decent amount of people working in office parks out in NJ (areas like Metropark, etc) and it makes it easier to reach them. Even hourly service is better than nothing.

Archived