Push for opening bus lane to all traffic during school dismissal

Harry

post-5097-0-41687300-1458053696_thumb.jpg
In an effort to facilitate traffic flow during school dismissal, Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis has requested that the schedule for the Hylan Boulevard Select Bus Service lane be revised. In a letter to Commissioner Polly Trottenberg, head of the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT), Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn) suggests that the southbound Hylan Boulevard bus lane be opened to all traffic from 3 to 4 p.m., when many local parents and guardians are driving their children home from school.  The lane is currently closed to vehicular traffic between 3 and 7 p.m.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-41687300-1458053696_thumb.jpg

So. You want them to allow the bus lane to be open to all vehicles at a time of high traffic...when the purpose of a bus lane is to allow the buses to continue during that time at a higher rate of speed.

I just don't get these people.

In an effort to facilitate traffic flow during school dismissal, Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis has requested that the schedule for the Hylan Boulevard Select Bus Service lane be revised. In a letter to Commissioner Polly Trottenberg, head of the New York City Department of Transportation (DOT), Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn) suggests that the southbound Hylan Boulevard bus lane be opened to all traffic from 3 to 4 p.m., when many local parents and guardians are driving their children home from school. The lane is currently closed to vehicular traffic between 3 and 7 p.m.

Read more: Source

Only in Staten Island they would want to implement this. Last time I checked while the rest of the city has bus lane restriction from 7AM-7PM. Why can't Staten Island fall into that restriction. SMDH. At the end of the day it is an insult to other drivers who drive this great city and they only have bus lane restrictions during peak rush hours only.

Only in Staten Island they would want to implement this. Last time I checked while the rest of the city has bus lane restriction from 7AM-7PM. Why can't Staten Island fall into that restriction. SMDH. At the end of the day it is an insult to other drivers who drive this great city and they only have bus lane restrictions during peak rush hours only.

Its Malliotakis proposing this...need I say more?

Are school buses and private coach buses allowed to travel in the bus lane, or only MTA buses?

I know they're allowed to travel in bus lanes on the highways (Staten Island Expressway for example). I would assume that would be the case on the regular streets, but I can't confirm that.

School buses would be a good point obviously. 

So. You want them to allow the bus lane to be open to all vehicles at a time of high traffic...when the purpose of a bus lane is to allow the buses to continue during that time at a higher rate of speed.

I just don't get these people.

I get them. The rather obvious plan is to chip away at the regulated times until the bus lane is gone.

Cheese Buses? no sorry! Extra NYCT Buses? yes. unless if it's out of the PM peak hours and not in Manhattan

Those buses carry a good 50 people, the same as a lot of the express buses running down the corridor. Why shouldn't they benefit from the bus lane that's specifically designed to encourage large amounts of people to travel together in a bus?

I get them. The rather obvious plan is to chip away at the regulated times until the bus lane is gone.

I just checked Hylan Blvd on the map. There is only 1 school directly on Hylan blvd, and it's south of where the Bus Lanes, pure bull shit.

So this pillar of absolute intelligence wants the S/79 and all the other routes return to the days when it was chaos on the streets and the traveling was measured in hours? Even though I have not been on Staten Island in over 5 years, I remember the horror trips on the S/79 when there was no bus lane and this genius wants it to return to the "good ole days"?

Let me sum it up quite succinctly "She is running for re-election" (the state primary date still has not been set yet) and she is doing what every single politician does at the time as she is looking for votes. 

Archived