Looking for a photo

Tsquare44

I hope that I have the right place for this request.

I am looking for a photo showing the extreme East (operationally South) end of the Times Square Shuttle platform, adjacent to Track 1, and immediately adjacent to the existing "Knickerbocker" doorway. I am trying to document the station's history.

Thank you.

What's been of interest to me was the former exit on the east platform, which had various rooms (station dept. etc.) built in from of it after the building on that side was demolished. That's probably where the new passageway to 6th Ave. (which is visible on that end) and the mid block arcade will come out, but they don't seem to be finishing it anytime soon (though it was promised to the tenants of the new 1 Bryant Park tower).

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but I'm looking for a photo as well.  It was taken by a photographer as opposed to a railfan.  It was a handful of teenagers sitting on the gates in between two R40 Slants.  Judging from the color and quality of the photo, it's most likely from the early '80s.

Something like this? 

17blocks3-web-articleLarge.jpg

That's from an NYTimes article 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/nyregion/behind-subway-entrance-to-hotel-knickerbocker-neither-arias-nor-opulence.html

So I wouldn't like, put it in a commercial book or anything. 

Sort of - I need more of the wall on the right hand side (and taken before 1990).

Sort of - I need more of the wall on the right hand side (and taken before 1990).

the "taken before 1990" may be a sticking point. If you just needed a photo of the area I could snap one for you this weekend  :D

Here's a more recent one with more of that wall. 

thedoor.jpg

You could try the NY transit museum archives? 

http://nytm.pastperfectonline.com/photo?page=4&search_criteria=times+square+%22shuttle+platform%22&utf8=%E2%9C%93

I paged through a few didn't see what you were looking for. Maybe try the MTA press contact directly? I have no idea how helpful they'd be. 

best of luck

Archived