MTA Historical Subway Proposals

GojiMet86

well i didn't mean to be racist but the fact is the black pastor was involved in tearing down the el out in jackson park in chicago

But when the (N) to LGA was shot down, it was just NIMBYs, not white NIMBYs...

Descriptors of race and religion are only used when the person(s) involved in stopping something (white) people are triggered by are not white; when the person(s) are, descriptors may be mentioned, but are treated as coincidental and downplayed.

My point: either apply them to everyone and every situation, or just don't use them.

Descriptors of race and religion are only used when the person(s) involved in stopping something (white) people are triggered by are not white; when the person(s) are, descriptors may be mentioned, but are treated as coincidental and downplayed.

My point: either apply them to everyone and every situation, or just don't use them.

^This one gets it. 

My bad if you felt offended, I was pointin out that In getting rid of the Jackson park section of the cta green line one the influential community members involved in this was a pastor of a majority black church and I get your point.

My bad if you felt offended, I was pointin out that In getting rid of the Jackson park section of the cta green line one the influential community members involved in this was a pastor of a majority black church and I get your point.

I'm going to belabor this:

If you get my point, why is it now important to say 'majority black church'?

Because the inference you're making is that "if it was a white church, it wouldn't have happened because..."

Even if that's not what you meant to say, it's in there because you introduced a descriptor without adding context like: "the train passing disrupted church services or caused significant damage to the historic African Methodist Episcopalian church's buildings"; "it regularly brought white supremacists without cars to the neighborhood to disrupt the community"; or some other "reason". (And I'm being overly dramatic to prove the point here.)

I'll even give myself as an example: you assumed I am offended by you saying "black pastor. That didn't bother me one bit. What bothered me was the "I'm not trying to be racist", because having been subjected to that preamble damn near all of the last 25 years when one of my white friends or acquaintances had something to say, I see it as nothing but an attempt at a "Get out of jail free" card for being offensive just for offensiveness' sake.

You ain't had to do that homie. You got a race issue or question, just ask or say it without the preamble.

I'm going to belabor this:

If you get my point, why is it now important to say 'majority black church'?

Because the inference you're making is that "if it was a white church, it wouldn't have happened because..."

Even if that's not what you meant to say, it's in there because you introduced a descriptor without adding context like: "the train passing disrupted church services or caused significant damage to the historic African Methodist Episcopalian church's buildings"; "it regularly brought white supremacists without cars to the neighborhood to disrupt the community"; or some other "reason". (And I'm being overly dramatic to prove the point here.)

I'll even give myself as an example: you assumed I am offended by you saying "black pastor. That didn't bother me one bit. What bothered me was the "I'm not trying to be racist", because having been subjected to that preamble damn near all of the last 25 years when one of my white friends or acquaintances had something to say, I see it as nothing but an attempt at a "Get out of jail free" card for being offensive just for offensiveness' sake.

You ain't had to do that homie. You got a race issue or question, just ask or say it without the preamble.

to cover your rebuttal on the not trying to be racist part i tried to provide that as a disclaimer in case there was someone who would be offended because of the fact i mentioned the pastor's race,

i was trying to give background information  to the situation how pretty a few select people were able to bring a community to it's knees by getting rid of it's transportation trying to say it would be good for the community and yet it turned to be the adverse result 

to cover your rebuttal on the not trying to be racist part i tried to provide that as a disclaimer in case there was someone who would be offended because of the fact i mentioned the pastor's race,

i was trying to give background information to the situation how pretty a few select people were able to bring a community to it's knees by getting rid of it's transportation trying to say it would be good for the community and yet it turned to be the adverse result

That's the problem with descriptors - they cause feelings when without context. That's why I try to avoid them.

Archived