No. 5 trains are the most delayed of the MTA subway lines — and there’s no solution in sight

Harry

post-5097-0-69809800-1460033859_thumb.jpg
Waiting for the next train is the hardest part — and if you’re a No. (5) rider, you’re worse off than commuters on other lines. That’s the findings of an audit of NYC Transit operations released Wednesday by State Controller Thomas DiNapoli. The audit found that more than a third of No. (5) trains last year ran behind schedule. On the lettered lines, the worst offender was the A line, where 32.6% of trains were late. The audit concluded that there’s little on the horizon to prevent tardy trains. And it even dived into how the Metropolitan Transportation Authority measures the wait time for riders left hanging on the platform waiting for a tardy train.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-69809800-1460033859_thumb.jpg

the (5) is AKA MTA stepchild for 1 it doesn't even run on weekends 80% of time

2. No Brooklyn terminal so it has to fight between Utica Flatbush and newlots

3.the MTA cant run it more often because the terminals it has the (2) takes priority every time

4. Feel sorry for Dyre riders since they train basically runs on weekdays only then its replaced by shuttles other times or 20 minute waits

For the (A) its the longest line in MTA

merges with the (C) at Hoyt then at Canal going downtown

each queens terminal is 15 minutes wait something got to be fixed

This is pointing out the ALREADY obvious. Yes, the subways are crowded and wait times may be longer but I feel this is like beating a dead horse. It's easy to blame the MTA from a politicians point of view instead of getting s*** together <_< .

Why not audit the things that actually matter, like MTACC?

I don't get why two people downvoted this. DiNapoli has the MTA's books right in his face and he's studying the MTA's on-time performance?

Really? He should be studying the MTA's finances and figuring where the hell the MTA's money is going. Sounds like the State knows where its going and doesn't want to admit it.

I don't get why two people downvoted this. DiNapoli has the MTA's books right in his face and he's studying the MTA's on-time performance?

Really? He should be studying the MTA's finances and figuring where the hell the MTA's money is going. Sounds like the State knows where its going and doesn't want to admit it.

Because it buys you votes, and it's easy to repeatedly point out a problem that hasn't been fixed in the short-term because all of the solutions are long-term (better signalling, more cars, more track capacity). The only way to fix reliability issues in the short term is to attempt DC-style shutdowns, which I'm sure nobody actually wants.

remember what alan hevesi said the mta has 2 sets of books

remember what alan hevesi said the mta has 2 sets of books

They do. One is for day to day operations (farebox recovery, etc), and the other is for capital construction projects (Albany money/federal funds: station renovations, New trains/buses/stations). Money from one book can't fund the other or something like that

Not surprising considering the fact that the (5) is part of the Lexington line which is the most overcrowded in the system just hope the Second Ave Subway could help reduce the delays.

Plus, presumably the (5) Line Manager doesn't control any signal towers along the way. (Regardless of what the official procedures are, the tower operators and dispatchers have to be loyal to the line whose Line Manager signs their time sheets.)

I concur with dude above!.The "5" IS THE DOPEST LINE OF EM ALL!!!! The diversity in terminals and express runs make it my line of choice when I join MTA God willing in the future!....I will say that outside of weekdays the 5 is a shitshow...I dont know WTF is goin on along 180th to Dyre but its EVERY Weekend its 20 mins or no service at all...this been goin on for YEARS

I concur with dude above!.The "5" IS THE DOPEST LINE OF EM ALL!!!! The diversity in terminals and express runs make it my line of choice when I join MTA God willing in the future!....I will say that outside of weekdays the 5 is a shitshow...I dont know WTF is goin on along 180th to Dyre but its EVERY Weekend its 20 mins or no service at all...this been goin on for YEARS

Complete resignalling.

It's not just about where the money went — sometimes it's where the money didn't come from.  

(1) The State Legislature typically promises a huge amount of funding, diverts half of it to unrelated pork barrels, and still demands "full accountability" for the total. It happened with the "mobility payroll tax."

(2) Then there's the mortgage recording tax, which depend entirely on property values. When property values dropped, so did proceeds from the mortgage recording tax. 

They need to reduce their debt so that so much of their budget isn't going to debt repayment.

The MTA has to keep borrowing money because the State Legislature keeps taking money away.

Complete resignalling.

How long would it have taken if they simply shut the line down completely to get it done?

It would've taken much less time, but the effects of a full closure of the Dyre Ave line would've had a much larger impact than the current weekend shutdowns. During the rush hours, the (5) gets packed before hitting E 180 Street. Imagine how many buses the MTA would have to provide to compensate.

Would it be possible to extend (5) service late nights to Manhattan Grand Central-42nd St instead of just terminating at E 180th St in the Bronx?

Similar concept to the (3) terminating at Times Square during late nights.

-This could eliminate the necessity for (those riders wishing to go to the east side from the Dyre Ave branch or the WPR branch south of E 180th St) and transfer over to the (2) at E 180th and/or transfer over to the (4) at 149th Grand Concourse to get to Manhattan's east side. Where as you can get a one ride seat on the (5) towards the east side instead.

-Since the (4) goes local late nights on the (6) line tracks making all stops, this would allow the (5) to use the express tracks going to/from Grand Central 42nd St. There's crossovers on the express tracks north of Grand Central so it could be possible but again just a thought if in fact it could be done at all.

Also, if the MTA were to do a full subway line review on a numbered line, I think the (5) should be a good candidate for it since it's supposedly the most delayed. Hell, the (5) is ALWAYS brought by Charles Moerdler at the transit board meetings for years and rightfully so.

Archived