MTA to Seek Proposals for MetroCard Replacement

Lance

post-2642-0-54536800-1460564029_thumb.jpg
The days of being asked to swipe again and again at the turnstile could soon be ancient history — as the MTA has begun seeking proposals that would move the subway system toward the post-MetroCard era. The MTA will release paperwork on Wednesday asking companies to submit proposals for ways of paying for rides with contactless media, such as smart cards or mobile devices. They are hoping that such a new system, similar to payment methods already used in taxi cabs and stores, in which customers only have to swipe their phones, will make MetroCards as obsolete at subway tokens.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-54536800-1460564029_thumb.jpg

Personally, I would hope they don't focus solely on phone readers as the method of payment. I'd prefer a simple tap and go smart card system, but that's just me.

I fully agree as not all people have a smartphone. Including me.

Personally, I would hope they don't focus solely on phone readers as the method of payment. I'd prefer a simple tap and go smart card system, but that's just me.

And what happens if your smartphone dies while out?

I think they want to focus on phones because they won't be in the business of selling cards. In wonder if they will move to tapping out, to see travel patterns to improve services, etc.

And what happens if your smartphone dies while out?

Not just that, but the inevitable "cannot read phone" error. I can already see the lines forming at the turnstiles because the phone wasn't held in front of the reader just right.

Also, it's a really easy way for someone to steal your phone.

Wasted money in the name of so called "convenience" with no consideration for people who don't have or want to use the phone for everything, or for anyone's security when access to bank accounts or credit cards is comprimised so easily as with the theft of one of the most commonly dropped or lost devices in modern human history.

But how 'bout that system expansion though?

I could have sworn they tried a tap & go card a few years back with those small key chain attachments; similar to those convenience store reward cards.

If they did try it, why didn't they move forward with it? I think that's a great idea. I have something similar to enter my building; it's always with you and it works every time. 

I'd like to see any info about this.

Let’s move to implantable RFID chips with a hardware cryptography element. Then they can track individual usage of the transportation system and bill accordingly. High resolution data on how the system is used, swift boarding, and unstealable payment method.

/s

From the article: "The MTA will release paperwork on Wednesday asking companies to submit proposals for ways of paying for rides with contactless media, such as smart cards or mobile devices."

Phones are an option under consideration, not the end-all. Transport for London already has a smartcard system that is compatible with cards issued by the major banks in the UK for tap-and-go, as well as mobile payment. There's no harm in having the option.

I could have sworn they tried a tap & go card a few years back with those small key chain attachments; similar to those convenience store reward cards.

The general idea (banking system-compatible fare payment) is still on the table, but the pilot failed because the adoption of RFID banking cards by banks here is lagging behind other countries where such cards are commonplace. Look at the disaster that is the chip-and-pin rollout.

Wasted money in the name of so called "convenience" with no consideration for people who don't have or want to use the phone for everything, or for anyone's security when access to bank accounts or credit cards is comprimised so easily as with the theft of one of the most commonly dropped or lost devices in modern human history.

But how 'bout that system expansion though?

If your bank actually lets you save your account information, with username and password on your phone, I would suggest switching to a new bank. LIkewise, if your cards don't easily let you report fraud, I would switch your cards. People lose their phones all the time, but people also lose their keys and wallet all the time, yet none of us would have a problem with a keyfob or a smartcard.

Contactless payment is the future and it's nice the MTA recognizes that. 

1) Consumers generally like the convenience and ease of use of contactless cards. 85 percent of consumers surveyed would recommend the technology to friends and family.

2) Since contactless cards do not have to leave the user's hand it is less likely to be lost or forgotten.

3) The same encryption networks are used to protect transactions as traditional bank transactions.

4) Transaction times are significantly quicker using contactless media as opposed to cash and magnetic swipe cards. This one is key in terms of moving riders in and out of busy subway stops. Retail research has shown a contactless payment average of 12.5 seconds as opposed to 26.7 seconds for conventional cards and 33.7 seconds for cash. 

5) Consumers have been shown to use contactless media often and remain loyal to retailers that have adopted such technology. Meaning, an up to date fare system can keep riders loyal to the transit system and using it for discretionary trips that they would have made with alternative modes of transport or not made at all. 

6) The ability for mobile devices to be leveraged as a contactless medium offers a multitude of marketing opportunities. Specific users can be targeted for discounts and special promotions which could definitely help boost transit ridership. I would have a loyalty program where riders who enter on a regular basis from outer borough subway stations can build towards free MNRR/LIRR tickets. That level of integration helps riders remain connected with the system. 

Not just that, but the inevitable "cannot read phone" error. I can already see the lines forming at the turnstiles because the phone wasn't held in front of the reader just right.

Also, it's a really easy way for someone to steal your phone.

Which is exactly why I would NOT go to that proposal.

Perhaps SEPTA's (Philadelphia) new system that is coming on-line later this year is one the MTA could look at or the one the PATCO (Philly-South Jersey) currently uses as options.

Metro cards usually don't need to leave my hand ether...

I think what he means is that they don't have to be taken out. The Hong Kong Octopus Card, which came out the same year the Metrocard did, can be tapped even if it's sitting deep within a large purse.

which can cause it's own problems...

It's problematic, but there are also problems with the Metrocard technology, not least the fact that it and systems like it are no longer supported by any manufacturers because it is such an old technology. Tech with no downsides does not exist.

Using the smartphone is alway the easiest way to pay. It work great. no need to pull out extra cards while your in the station. The purpose of smartphone is to prepaid in advance and activate when it time to enter the subway. It only take two seconds. I used this a lot on njt  app and love it. The other advantage is it on your own time when you don't have to wait at the machine to purchases a fare. When i went thru Secacus Juntion few times with phone app it work and never have error reading. If you are using it on the phone, you need to be smart on how much time you can be on phone. 

Smartlink card can work in same way.  All they need to read the barcode. 

That my two cents.

For starters, it needs to be contactless. For purposes of this, I'd also want to get the PANYNJ, NJ Transit, the Bee Line System, Suffolk Transit, HART (both of them, Huntington and Danbury), Transport of Rockland, Dutchess LOOP, UCAT, Putnam PART, CT Transit, Norwalk Transit, GBTA, and Milford Transit on board for a unified system allowing seamless travel across the tri-state area. The idea is that any kind of ticket, and multiple types of tickets (up to 6) could be stored on a single durable card chip that could be read. I oppose having this on a phone though only, although I would not be opposed to having a phone reader option.

For starters, it needs to be contactless. For purposes of this, I'd also want to get the PANYNJ, NJ Transit, the Bee Line System, Suffolk Transit, HART (both of them, Huntington and Danbury), Transport of Rockland, Dutchess LOOP, UCAT, Putnam PART, CT Transit, Norwalk Transit, GBTA, and Milford Transit on board for a unified system allowing seamless travel across the tri-state area. The idea is that any kind of ticket, and multiple types of tickets (up to 6) could be stored on a single durable card chip that could be read. I oppose having this on a phone though only, although I would not be opposed to having a phone reader option.

That's asking a lot. The MTA can't even get LIRR and MNRR to cooperate.

Archived