Myrlte Ave Structure Rehab to Displace Dozens of Residents

Lance

post-2642-0-83026500-1461081640_thumb.jpg
Dozens of people living in a row of private homes in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn face relocation for at least six months, and possibly much longer, when the MTA renovates a section of its elevated M train line next year. But residents who live in the two-family homes on Ditmars Street told Newsday last week that they had yet to hear from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority about the relocations, approved by the agency’s board last month. In addition, a coffee shop, a bicycle store and an apartment house with five units around the corner on Myrtle Avenue face the same fate, and workers in those stores said they had not heard about the relocations. Messages left for the owners of those stores were not returned.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-83026500-1461081640_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I would let the MTA buy my house for over market value and then run and not look back. I would probably able to buy a better house and with the money I put down my mortgage would be lower and owe less on the new house somewhere else away from tracks.

The agency said some property owners might not want to return, and it would pay them fair market value for their homes.

The MTA said it would resell them after the project was finished.

....at a higher price tag.

It has been said that profitting off of others misfortunes is the American way!

While disgusting, this would be a classic example of it..... The last thing we need is the MTA dibbling & dabbling in the real estate field/market.....

I would let the MTA buy my house for over market value and then run and not look back. I would probably able to buy a better house and with the money I put down my mortgage would be lower and owe less on the new house somewhere else away from tracks.

This.

Key term: Over market value.

....at a higher price tag.

It has been said that profitting off of others misfortunes is the American way!

While disgusting, this would be a classic example of it..... The last thing we need is the MTA dibbling & dabbling in the real estate field/market.....

This.

Key term: Over market value.

Too late, the MTA is already is a big player in nyc real estate market. Except that don't seem to do a very good job...

Too late, the MTA is already is a big player in nyc real estate market. Except that don't seem to do a very good job...

News to me.

Regardless, I don't plan on buying within NYC anyway.... Couple more years & I'm gone.

Only question is, will I remain in the tri-state area or not - As I am not on the *moving down south* bandwagon.

News to me.

Regardless, I don't plan on buying within NYC anyway.... Couple more years & I'm gone.

Only question is, will I remain in the tri-state area or not - As I am not on the *moving down south* bandwagon.

Yeah, there was a big story years ago about them selling their 370 Jay Street building to (I believe it was) NYCCT. Not sure what other examples there were offhand.

News to me.

Ha, I hear that.

Basically, after the economic recession, it came out that the MTA lost a ton of money from real estate loses, and they are very dependent on the real estate income they expect to earn

Ha, I hear that.

Basically, after the economic recession, it came out that the MTA lost a ton of money from real estate loses, and they are very dependent on the real estate income they expect to earn

Well, there are two unrelated things.

The MTA owns a lot of property, just because of all of the offices it has or has had at some point, in addition to the air rights above yards, tracks, bus depots, yadda yadda yadda. That's still in the process of being sold off, but that's mostly one-off budget bandaids. It is definitely not doing anything like the Port Authority is with WTC; they would rather sell the land and give the hard work of developing it to people who specialize in that sort of thing (Hudson Yards, Atlantic Yards, the Jay St building)

The other part of it is that a big portion of the MTA's revenues is a tax on real estate transfers. This can be really good when the property market is really hot; however, whenever the economy starts crapping out, the MTA is left with a giant hole in the budget because one of the first things to stop in a recession are property sales.

Well, there are two unrelated things.

The MTA owns a lot of property, just because of all of the offices it has or has had at some point, in addition to the air rights above yards, tracks, bus depots, yadda yadda yadda. That's still in the process of being sold off, but that's mostly one-off budget bandaids. It is definitely not doing anything like the Port Authority is with WTC; they would rather sell the land and give the hard work of developing it to people who specialize in that sort of thing (Hudson Yards, Atlantic Yards, the Jay St building)

The other part of it is that a big portion of the MTA's revenues is a tax on real estate transfers. This can be really good when the property market is really hot; however, whenever the economy starts crapping out, the MTA is left with a giant hole in the budget because one of the first things to stop in a recession are property sales.

Thank you for clarifying, I'm no real estate expert lol

Archived