Any CDL-BP Holders Seeking Experience?

+Young+

If so, you found the right thread/topic!!

For about 18 months (March 2016 - September 2017), I worked for MV Transportation. Although they are known for doing "Access-A-Ride" within the 5 boroughs of New York City, they also operate the Queens College Shuttle, when classes are in session.

Requirements: Class B CDL with a "P" endorsement and no N1 nor N2 restrictions. When I was there, the pay started out at $14/hour and when I left, I was getting $16.50/hour.

For more information about the shuttle, click here. If you wish to view a picture of the bus they use, click here & here. Although they don't like to admit it, they do use Yellow "Reliant Transportation" School Buses as back ups, if necessary.

If you wish to apply, call 718-526-2657/2871 during normal business hours and ask to speak to one of the managers. If you call and they say "Reliant Transportation," you have reached the correct party since they come out of Reliant Transportation's Queens facility, located off of Liberty Avenue in Jamaica. 

Edited by +Young+
Update...

• 3 weeks later...

Like Young, I will be reaching out to anyone with a NY/NJ Class B CDL with Passenger and Air brake Endorsements (including those with a permit), if they are interesting in taking a Bus Operator position with Academy Bus. Academy Bus is the largest privately owned company on the East Coast providing numerous charter, university shuttle and other contracted services.

I currently work out of Academy's Hoboken garage, (Hillside terminal to be exact) which is home to the company's headquarters, the central dispatch of charter operations, New York and Columbia University shuttles as well as some routes contracted to us by New Jersey Transit. Academy has garages all up and down the East Coast (Boston to Florida) with 5 garages located in New Jersey.

If you are interested, send me a PM or drop a reply here and I'll reply with all the information you need to get started. I am close with one of the safety managers of the company, so we can get your application expedited so you can start ASAP.

You will need to be at least 21 years of age, have 3 years of driving experience (under your regular license), at least a CDL Class B permit with the Passenger and Air Brake endorsements, a valid medical exam and a clean driving record.

The Hillside terminal is also looking for dispatchers as well. A CDL is NOT required but is preferred. If you want to drop by in person to the garage, the address is located below.

1515 Jefferson Street (Lot #2)

Hoboken, NJ 07030

(201) 420-7000

http://www.academybus.com/

• 3 months later...

If you folks are still interested, the company has an Indeed posting which can be viewed by clicking here and on their company website by clicking here. As a reminder, with this job, there is no experience necessary!!!

Edited by +Young+
Updated Links as of 11/18/2019

• 7 months later...

Hello guys

I hope this can help any B/O candidate speaking from my experience

Like others I frequented this forum to get updates for B/O exam list updates. I decided let me go ahead and obtain my Cdl before the MTA calls. Young had always posted valuable info about how the process works and ironically I took a job out in Queens driving college students along a fixed route. Long story short I discovered Young was one of my coworkers. He went out of his way to show me defensive driving techniques. Although I now operate a Hudson rail Link shuttle bus for Metro-North, I can tell any B/O candidate with only a CDL permit with confidence if possible to try and get the Cdl beforehand and to thank Young for all of his help out in Queens.

If anyone is interested in a position operating the Metro-North shuttle bus up in the Bronx feel free to shoot me a PM.

• 10 months later...

My apologies for bumping this thread, however I now work at Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC). As a result of the company experiencing a shortage of operators, which is expected to continue until further notice, the company is currently hiring part-time Bus Operators who have little to no experience driving a CDL vehicle. As long as you have a relatively clean abstract and you have a Class B CDL with a Passenger Endorsement, you're good!! Even if you have another full-time job, you can work this second job with no problem, providing it fits within your schedule.

If you click here, you'll see that our current fleet consists of four Orions (3, 5, 6 & 7) and four New Flyers (8, 9, 10 & 11). Two of our New Flyer Buses are 2016; the other two are 2018. Yes, that is correct, you can drive practically a brand new bus within New York City, with little to no experience!!

For more information, you can either send me a Private Message (PM) with a resume attached or you can email Cyril.Opperman@rioc.ny.gov or you can call (212) 832 4583 for more information.

Edited by +Young+

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, +Young+ said:

My apologies for bumping this thread, however I now work at Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC). As a result of the company experiencing a shortage of operators, which is expected to continue until further notice, the company is currently hiring part-time Bus Operators who have little to no experience driving a CDL vehicle. As long as you have a relatively clean abstract and you have a Class B CDL with a Passenger Endorsement, you're good!! Even if you have another full-time job, you can work this second job with no problem, providing it fits within your schedule.

If you click here, you'll see that our current fleet consists of four Orions (3, 5, 6 & 7) and four New Flyers (8, 9, 10 & 11). Two of our New Flyer Buses are 2016; the other two are 2018. Yes, that is correct, you can drive practically a brand new bus within New York City with little to no experience!!

For more information, you can either send me a Private Message (PM) with a resume attached or you can email Cyril.Opperman@rioc.ny.gov or you can call (212) 832 4583 for more information.

What if you have your learner's permit 

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What if you have your learner's permit 

With all of these jobs, you need the license. Nobody else (except NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and/or MTA Bus Company)  will hire you with the permit.

Sorry...

On 11/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, +Young+ said:

If you click here, you'll see that our current fleet consists of four Orions (3, 5, 6 & 7) and four New Flyers (8, 9, 10 & 11). Two of our New Flyer Buses are 2016; the other two are 2018. Yes, that is correct, you can drive practically a brand new bus within New York City with little to no experience!!

Hi Young

Are they still hiring part time driver?

11 hours ago, Moussy said:

Hi Young

Are they still hiring part time driver?

Yes. Everybody starts out as part-time and whatever happens afterwards, happens. I would strongly encourage you to call or e-mail for more information.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Is the list/wait process long as MTA lmao

No. You just have to schedule an interview, fill out an application, go for a physical and drug test, and when the drug test comes back negative, you're good!!

(It's like a private company although it's run by the state.)

Edited by +Young+

7 hours ago, +Young+ said:

No. You just have to schedule an interview, fill out an application, go for a physical and drug test, and when the drug test comes back negative, you're good!!

(It's like a private company although it's run by the state.)

Really!?! Holy, let me go get me CDL then!

• 1 month later...
  • Harry featured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, dman1455 said:

Is ROIC still hiring part time drivers? I just got my CDL and was interested in applying for the experience.

They're always hiring...call 212-832-4583 and talk to "Cy" for more information.

1 hour ago, dman1455 said:

He told me only full time, guess they don't need part timers.

It's not that, they're just trying to minimize the amount of turnovers that company has.

On 4/28/2016 at 9:46 PM, +Young+ said:

If so, you found the right thread/topic!!

For about 18 months (March 2016 - September 2017), I worked for MV Transportation. Although they are known for doing "Access-A-Ride" within the 5 boroughs of New York City, they also operate the Queens College Shuttle, when classes are in session.

Requirements: Class B CDL with a "P" endorsement and no N1 nor N2 restrictions. When I was there, the pay started out at $14/hour and when I left, I was getting $16.50/hour.

For more information about the shuttle, click here. If you wish to view a picture of the bus they use, click here & here. Although they don't like to admit it, they do use Yellow "Reliant Transportation" School Buses as back ups, if necessary.

If you wish to apply, call 718-526-2657/2871 during normal business hours and ask to speak to one of the managers. If you call and they say "Reliant Transportation," you have reached the correct party since they come out of Reliant Transportation's Queens facility, located off of Liberty Avenue in Jamaica. 

This company might be hiring part-timers since the Queens College Shuttle only runs Monday - Thursday for the upcoming summer sessions, which run until the middle of August.

Edited by +Young+

On 5/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, +Young+ said:

It's not that, they're just trying to minimize the amount of turnovers that company has.

This company might be hiring part-timers since the Queens College Shuttle only runs Monday - Thursday for the upcoming summer sessions, which run until the middle of August.

Sorry, so Roosevelt might hire part timers later or they stopped with it because of the turnover?