Random Question about 2nd Avenue Subway

Kto168

Yesterday I was walking on 116th Street. I noticed subway grates in the sidewalk between 1st and 2nd Avenues. If the subway was supposed to be under 2nd Avenue, why would there be gratings between the block?

You're right, but I don't know, but they look more like subway grates. They're right at the curb and they're on both sides of the street directly across from one another. But hey, maybe it's Con Edison or some other utility company. First thing that popped up in my head was the subway on 2nd Ave.

I just looked on Google map,and it does look like subway grates. 116th is one of the existing (already built) tunnel sections for Phase II,and so this is probably some sort of ancillary facility, like a vent plant for the tunnel (which they've had to keep working all that time since it was built).

I just looked on Google map,and it does look like subway grates. 116th is one of the existing (already built) tunnel sections for Phase II,and so this is probably some sort of ancillary facility, like a vent plant for the tunnel (which they've had to keep working all that time since it was built).

Seems likely. That tunnel section has been maintained since it was built and is apparently in fantastic condition.

I looked at google earth they look like Con-Ed grades, mostly for transformers if there is a V or VS with a number written on them , its definite a transformer.

There are grate for SAS at that location. The last time I was in the area was a few years ago, so construction hadn't proceeded this far. The grates were encased in concrete at the time. They could very well have been knocked out and replaced with new grates by this point. Plus, Google Earth isn't always up to date.

Archived