Teen sentenced for fatal shooting of a passenger on B15 bus

46Dover

only 12 yrs?!  :angry:

Well he can't be tried as an adult, since it didn't happen as an adult. If he was, he would've gotten the 25 to life sentence. He'll still be on parole after 12 years, but I know it's not the same as being in jail.

I am highly disgusted by this, it hurts and infuriates me . He deserves the life sentence. THATS HOW I FEEL!

He did get a life sentence, a 12 to life sentence (after 12 years, he'll be on parole). I believe you meant to say life imprisonment (there's a different although they are sometimes interchanged), in which he would actually be for the rest of his life behind bars.

I don't normally throw my two cents into things that could get political... but...

I agree that he should serve time and be sentenced, but people saying he should rot in jail forever don't really realize the type of situation he was in, how that was dictated by his environment or whether or not he was really threatened in the moment of the shooting (which the article implies).

He does need to serve time since taking a life is inexcusable, but there is room for rehabilitation here. We already have a problem with locking too many people up anyway.

That's all.

He received 12 years to life of which he has already served at least one or more years so that the number of years before he goes before his first parole board is now 11 years or less. The judge gave him an out or a chance at going home at his first board by telling him what is expected of him doing his period of incarceration, however, it is up to him as to whether he goes home after the first board. If he wants to act out and get into trouble as many of them do, he will get a 2 year hit each and every time he comes up for parole. This in addition to the usual 2 year hits for the seriousness of the crime which come right after the minimum sentence is reached and he appears at the first parole board. The fact that he committed the crime on a bus loaded with passengers showing a the total disregard of everyone in the area with his reckless actions indicate that he will do more than the 12 year minimum or at least 14 or more years. .

This thing should be thanking his lucky stars as if they tried him as an adult and he would have been convicted of what he did, he would have received a minimum of 20 years or more like 25 years to life as a starting sentence. 

I am highly disgusted by this, it hurts and infuriates me . He deserves the life sentence. THATS HOW I FEEL!

That's a little to dramatic the kid probably doesn't know any better just be glad he is getting any type of harsh consequences at all.

Another one just got convicted in Queens and this is the one that shot up a Q/6 bus a couple of years ago. This one is facing 25 years to life when he is sentenced in June. This one was older and it seems there is another one that has to go to trial for his involvement in senseless act.

That's a little to dramatic the kid probably doesn't know any better just be glad he is getting any type of harsh consequences at all.

Well he can't be tried as an adult, since it didn't happen as an adult. If he was, he would've gotten the 25 to life sentence. He'll still be on parole after 12 years, but I know it's not the same as being in jail.

He did get a life sentence, a 12 to life sentence (after 12 years, he'll be on parole). I believe you meant to say life imprisonment (there's a different although they are sometimes interchanged), in which he would actually be for the rest of his life behind bars.

It's not dramatic. He was out for revenge that day against the opposing gang members. While seeking out for blood, a working person lost his life. The man's family is infuriated. He deserves at least 50 years to life. He can out of jail when he's in his mid to late 60s.

As I said in a previous post, the first part of the sentence is 12 years and that is the minimum time that he has to do before the parole board will even consider him as eligible. Based on the nature of the crime, he will get a 2 year hit that will send the time to 14 years. The next issue is his disciplinary record as he hangs with his friends, gets into fights and does time in the Special Housing Unit we can add another two years (or more as the disciplinary record is a key criteria for release) for a total of 16 years or more. For this fool to get out at the first parole board the chances are slim and none based on the crime itself.

What bothers many here and myself included is that the sentencing structure is predicated on the fact that the young person will see the mistake that he made and will not do it again. Some of them do, however, many of them don't and they return to jail, again and again, each time with increasing minimum sentences. The problem is that the self introspection that this fool should be doing does not take place until he is in 30's and by that time, he may have already done 20 years which is my opinion he will have to do before the Parole Board will release him. 

Archived