Kids Skipping School to Go to Beach Caught in NYPD Dragnet

Via Garibaldi 8

Kids Skipping School to Go to Beach Caught in NYPD Dragnet

thumbnail.jpg
By Katie Honan | May 25, 2016 12:15pm

larger.jpg

NYPD officers stopped every Q52 and Q53 bus Wednesday morning as they entered Broad Channel to sweep them for students.View Full Caption

DNAinfo/Katie Honan

BROAD CHANNEL — They washed out.

Students playing hooky from class to catch a city bus to Rockaway Beach were shut down by NYPD truancy officers who set up a dragnet Wednesday morning at the foot of the Joseph P. Addabbo Bridge, which connects Howard Beach and Broad Channel.

At least seven NYPD school safety vans were lined up in the parking lot at the foot of the bridge, along with several NYPD cars, to snare the scofflaw students, according to officials at the scene.

Officers stopped every Q52 and Q53 bus Wednesday morning — which ride from Elmhurst and Woodside and stop in Rockaway Beach — to sweep for hooky-playing students.

"They don't belong at the beach, they should be in school," said an official at the scene, citing the Department of Education's truancy rule. 

NYPD officials confirmed they carried out a truancy initiative in Patrol Borough Queens South Wednesday.

"Students that are picked up are either taken to their school if the school is located nearby or they are taken to one of five truancy intake sites throughout the city. From those truancy locations the students are returned to their school," NYPD officials said.

It was not immediately clear how many students were picked up, but DNAinfo New York witnessed at least seven students taken off of vans and put into the school safety vans by 10 a.m.

The Department of Education deferred a request to comment to the NYPD.

Their official policy notes that "consistent attendance is critical for the continuity of instruction" and there are more than 350 attendance teachers across the city. 

Temperatures were expected to reach 85 degrees Wednesday. City beaches officially open for the season on Saturday.

students-busted-on-city-buses-for-truanc

Students were hauled into NYPD vans after getting pulled off city buses headed to the beach. (DNAinfo/Katie

Honan)

Source: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160525/broad-channel/kids-skipping-school-go-beach-caught-nypd-dragnet

Wow. That's a good pleasant surprise.

Forget senior cut out day this year.

And for those kids who got caught. Shame on you for missing school.

Didn't hear about this in Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach and Coney Island. Usually truancy cops do flood those beaches but yesterday queens definitely had the upper hand.

Wow. That's a good pleasant surprise.

Forget senior cut out day this year.

And for those kids who got caught. Shame on you for missing school.

Didn't hear about this in Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach and Coney Island. Usually truancy cops do flood those beaches but yesterday queens definitely had the upper hand.

It needs to be more often.  When I lived on Staten Island, it was appalling how many "kids" were abusing their student Metrocards.  You had so called "teens" (they looked old enough to be young adults) using them and passing them amongst each other, and then when they run out of rides, they just get on the bus and take a seat.  It's one of the reasons that farebeating is so rampant amongst younger people.  I think the abuse of the student Metrocards enables a sense of entitlement among youth, and when they get older, they do the same crap, even when they can afford the fare.  I would like to see some sort of link be made between academics and the student Metrocard.  If kids are absent "X" amount of days and/or have low grades, their Metrocard should be confiscated or disabled (whichever is easiest).  The primary use of those cards is for school, and that needs to be instilled and re-enforced from the beginning.

pretty sure that young man drowning at the beach yesterday had something to do with this sweep. Prime example of why when I hear them say they lost their metrocards or they forgot it at home I tell them not my problem.

It needs to be more often. When I lived on Staten Island, it was appalling how many "kids" were abusing their student Metrocards. You had so called "teens" (they looked old enough to be young adults) using them and passing them amongst each other, and then when they run out of rides, they just get on the bus and take a seat. It's one of the reasons that farebeating is so rampant amongst younger people. I think the abuse of the student Metrocards enables a sense of entitlement among youth, and when they get older, they do the same crap, even when they can afford the fare. I would like to see some sort of link be made between academics and the student Metrocard. If kids are absent "X" amount of days and/or have low grades, their Metrocard should be confiscated or disabled (whichever is easiest). The primary use of those cards is for school, and that needs to be instilled and re-enforced from the beginning.

THIS HERE. I DO AGREE WITH.

There needs to be a rule established to where junior and high school students should adhere if they abuse their metro card privileges. The purpose of the metro card is to get you to school, after school programs and night school. Not to play hooky for the day and to expect your card to work.

Most drivers take the active approach to kick you off the bus if your school metro card doesn't work. [FULL FARE ONLY].

What the schools need to do is work with the (MTA) to have a list of kids who skip school and use their metro card for non-school activity and revoke their privilege and make them pay full fare everyday. My theory is if you can afford Jordan's and Airmax sneakers. You CAN SURE AFFORD 2.75 for bus fare.

I also believe we have a fare hike this summer or in 2017 for 3.15 or 3.25. I wonder how these kids will do with this.

THIS HERE. I DO AGREE WITH.

There needs to be a rule established to where junior and high school students should adhere if they abuse their metro card privileges. The purpose of the metro card is to get you to school, after school programs and night school. Not to play hooky for the day and to expect your card to work.

Most drivers take the active approach to kick you off the bus if your school metro card doesn't work. [FULL FARE ONLY].

What the schools need to do is work with the (MTA) to have a list of kids who skip school and use their metro card for non-school activity and revoke their privilege and make them pay full fare everyday. My theory is if you can afford Jordan's and Airmax sneakers. You CAN SURE AFFORD 2.75 for bus fare.

I also believe we have a fare hike this summer or in 2017 for 3.15 or 3.25. I wonder how these kids will do with this.

Please... They will continue to hop on the bus.  I was so annoyed the other day by it.  We get to 231st and Broadway and I'm on the Bx1 taking it to the (4) train since the (1) train was knocked out.  No one was getting off there, yet the B/O opens the back door, and all of these kids open the back door and get on.  This was on a weekend mind you.  If they had some sort of school activity to go to they should've been been allowed to use their pass, but that wasn't the impression that I got.  The new thing now is that students NEVER think that they should pay.  They just get on and take a seat and maybe they'll dip the card if they feel like it when school is in session.  If they aren't going to dip it, why bother giving them passes in the first place?  

pretty sure that young man drowning at the beach yesterday had something to do with this sweep. Prime example of why when I hear them say they lost their metrocards or they forgot it at home I tell them not my problem.

They shoulda put more effort into patrolling the beaches than slowing down everybody's commute. A dead kid is a bigger deal than some seniors cutting a day second-semester. 

Wow, the Q52/53 routes been having a lot of visitors lately  :lol:  a couple days ago at the Liberty Ave/Woodhaven stop a DOT employee was coming on to the buses to promote a hearing about SBS, all my years of riding the bus that's the first time I seen that.

When I was a kid I came to school a tad bit too late and I got picked up in one of those patty wagons.... the ride quality in those things are horrible, makes the most raggedy RTS/Orion V look like a Limo in comparison.

"consistent attendance is critical for the continuity of instruction"

Except in high school, they aren't teaching anything in late May. I go to Fort Hamilton (just got back from school actually) and only my Pre Calc teacher had an actual lesson today...

That's gonna be hell to track... I'd rather just let the kid get on and truancy gets them when they get off.

Now, I wonder, do they dragnet trains? Ain't nobody I know taking the bus to Coney Island, they all take the (N) train...

They shoulda put more effort into patrolling the beaches than slowing down everybody's commute. A dead kid is a bigger deal than some seniors cutting a day second-semester. 

The dead kid was the reason they did it to begin with, so instead of taking proactive measures they were reactive the problem.

And like I've said before (re: student passes), the full fare passes should be abolished. Everybody gets a half-fare card that they can put money on (You can't put money on a half fare card. They make you pay in coins. It's ridiculous) and is valid on both the bus and subway (That's the other thing. My damn card isn't valid on the subway. Like, whats the point? Im not gonna take the B16 to the B64,I'd rather just hop the (R) and walk, so I just use a regular card once in a while or walk. Anyway...)

So yeah, a half-fare card vaild on both bus and subway and you are able to add money to it. That's my solution...

And like I've said before (re: student passes), the full fare passes should be abolished. Everybody gets a half-fare card that they can put money on (You can't put money on a half fare card. They make you pay in coins. It's ridiculous) and is valid on both the bus and subway (That's the other thing. My damn card isn't valid on the subway. Like, whats the point? Im not gonna take the B16 to the B64,I'd rather just hop the (R) and walk, so I just use a regular card once in a while or walk. Anyway...)

So yeah, a half-fare card vaild on both bus and subway and you are able to add money to it. That's my solution...

The point is that if it's a half-fare card, the thinking is that you only need to go short distances via the local bus that don't require the subway.

The point is that if it's a half-fare card, the thinking is that you only need to go short distances via the local bus that don't require the subway.

My issue with this,in my school at least, is that they give them to the kids who live in sections of Bay Ridge where taking the (R) and walking is faster that taking two or three buses.(For example, If I took the bus to school Id have to take the B64 up to 5 Av, get the B63 to 86 Street and the B16 back down to Shore. Now, if my card worked on the subway, I could walk up to 4th or take the B64 to the (R) and walk to school which is faster than the three bus option.)

I'd give every student a reloadable half-fare to deter abuse of the cards and to potentially instill the proper behavior (keeping track of your balance, reloading the card,etc) in these kids from an early age.

Chicago's cards work this way:(http://www.transitchicago.com/students/)

Student Ventra Cards

Students must have a Student Ventra Card to receive the Student Reduced Fare on CTA buses and trains. Many schools issue them. Learn more about how to get a card.

Student Ventra Cards, like regular Ventra Cards, can be loaded at vending machines, more than 1,300 retailers, online or by phone.

Using a Student Ventra Card to get the Student Reduced Fare

There are two ways to use a Student Ventra Card to get the Student Reduced Fare:

• Students can pay with their Student Ventra Card for train and bus fare (including transfers) with transit value.
  • Students can pay in cash/coins on buses if they have their Student Ventra Card and ask the driver to pay a cash student fare. Bus drivers cannot give change and transfers are not available when paying this way.

Using the Student Ventra Card for non-school trips

Student Ventra Cards can be used for out-of-school riding, too—regular fares are automatically deducted from transit value outside of Student Reduced Fare hours or outside of a school term.

For children 12-20, a regular Full Fare is deducted from transit value.

For children 7–11, a regular Reduced Fare is deducted from transit value outside of Student Reduced Fare hours, if your card is registered (otherwise, students will need to ask for help to receive an age-based Reduced Fare).

Once school starts again, students need to have student riding privileges re-enabled either by their school or by applying: learn more.

My issue with this,in my school at least, is that they give them to the kids who live in sections of Bay Ridge where taking the (R) and walking is faster that taking two or three buses.(For example, If I took the bus to school Id have to take the B64 up to 5 Av, get the B63 to 86 Street and the B16 back down to Shore. Now, if my card worked on the subway, I could walk up to 4th or take the B64 to the (R) and walk to school which is faster than the three bus option.)

I'd give every student a reloadable half-fare to deter abuse of the cards and to potentially instill the proper behavior (keeping track of your balance, reloading the card,etc) in these kids from an early age.

Chicago's cards work this way:(http://www.transitchicago.com/students/)

I would imagine that the new system that will be implemented should help to facilitate use of the system by students and deter abuse, but we'll see.  It has really worsened...

Now, I wonder, do they dragnet trains? Ain't nobody I know taking the bus to Coney Island, they all take the (N) train...

I could also same the same for the Brighton Line. (B)(Q).

Remember. The 60th Pct and BSTF task force are right below the West 8th Station and Transit Bureau is on Stillwell.

and why the Q52 and Q53 what about the (A) train people would rather take the subway than the bus

There's usually a similar amount, if not more people on the Q52/Q53 going to the beach over the (A) train, so there's a greater chance of finding students who are cutting school. It makes it harder to do it on the (A) , and delays from that can cause more of an impact than just the two bus routes.

I also agree. I remember during Sat and Sunday, I have seen Jewish or Chinese Student using Student MetroCard on Q44 SBS bus fare collector but Q44 SBS drivers did not say anything to student.

Many private, religious, and parochial schools have classes on Saturdays or Sundays, so the students may very well have been on their way to classes on weekends. There are also school clubs, teams, activities on weekends. There is a reason those student cards are valid on weekends, as well as weekdays.

I used to have friends that came from Brooklyn or Queens to Manhattan, and cops would hassle them for using the subway on Brooklyn Queens Day, and they'd have to get a letter from school certifying they had classes to get the ticket thrown out. What a waste of police resources on this silliness.  

Many private, religious, and parochial schools have classes on Saturdays or Sundays, so the students may very well have been on their way to classes on weekends. There are also school clubs, teams, activities on weekends. There is a reason those student cards are valid on weekends, as well as weekdays.

I used to have friends that came from Brooklyn or Queens to Manhattan, and cops would hassle them for using the subway on Brooklyn Queens Day, and they'd have to get a letter from school certifying they had classes to get the ticket thrown out. What a waste of police resources on this silliness.  

Thanks for backing up a point I made in another thread... 

It's good that these kids got caught. Odd they're using the bus and not the (A) train. Going to the beach can wait. 

The (A) is significantly less frequent than the bus and draws in more local riders; unless you have easy access to the (A) or Q52/53, you're probably going to go to a closer beach.

Archived