MTA Quietly Begins Testing Wi-Fi Service in Subway Cars

pjbr40

post-2642-0-91404300-1464969181_thumb.jpg
In our wired world, much of the city's sprawling subway system is maddeningly offline. Riders can occasionally catch a signal as their trains rumble beneath the streets, but most of the time, the internet is out of reach.

"I think they should improve the system so you can have the Wi-Fi inside," said one commuter.

But now, the MTA has begun testing whether to fully enter the internet age, installing Wi-Fi on four cars along the E line. The test, though, is being done on the sly. There are no signs announcing the service. It came as a surprise when NY1 told straphangers in the test cars.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-91404300-1464969181_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why we need WiFi everywhere.

most wifi are free. If it it free, i used it.

It best to use free wifi because when you search thing on cell phone , your data timer kick in. Most cell phone have certain data time allowance. Wifi can take that pressure off. However there some wifi have little restriction using certain app. 

I have three main questions regarding this:

1) How would this be funded? Are the cars already equipped with the capability for WiFi service like the buses or would this be something that would have to be installed? Also, would they attempt this in-house or contract it out like they've done with in-station WiFi? Let's face it, their in-house attempts usually leave a lot to be desired.

2) How would this be expanded to the older fleet? I'd imagine implementation of WiFi on the trains would come after the retirement of the 32s and 42s and possibly the 46s, but that still leaves at least 1,700 cars around. That doesn't account for whether the 142s and 143s are even wired for WiFi in the first place.

3) Would the MTA ever think about using this for real-time status updates? Or at least news and weather like the PA-5s. Those On-the-Go displays scattered around the system still show scheduled arrivals despite real-time arrival information being readily available. I'd like to at least see correct transfers on the FINDs when certain lines aren't running.

3) Would the MTA ever think about using this for real-time status updates? Or at least news and weather like the PA-5s. Those On-the-Go displays scattered around the system still show scheduled arrivals despite real-time arrival information being readily available. I'd like to at least see correct transfers on the FINDs when certain lines aren't running.

^THIS.

If the WiFi is unable to include these provisions then there is no point IMO.

You can thank our generation for relying on things like Snapchat, phone calls, video games, etc. Not that I think WiFi is unnecessary everywhere, but some places it's like "ehh, is it really necessary?"

Not that I hate technology, and I'm not one of those who think that technology is killing society or anything, but if people can't go without being on the internet for an hour, they need to rethink their life.

Hope they provide the best service possible to T-Mobile at least it's a pain in the ass dealing with my phone with Wi-Fi.

most wifi are free. If it it free, i used it.

It best to use free wifi because when you search thing on cell phone , your data timer kick in. Most cell phone have certain data time allowance. Wifi can take that pressure off. However there some wifi have little restriction using certain app.

I have three main questions regarding this:

1) How would this be funded? Are the cars already equipped with the capability for WiFi service like the buses or would this be something that would have to be installed? Also, would they attempt this in-house or contract it out like they've done with in-station WiFi? Let's face it, their in-house attempts usually leave a lot to be desired.

2) How would this be expanded to the older fleet? I'd imagine implementation of WiFi on the trains would come after the retirement of the 32s and 42s and possibly the 46s, but that still leaves at least 1,700 cars around. That doesn't account for whether the 142s and 143s are even wired for WiFi in the first place.

The MTA is already testing the technology out for equipping Wi-Fi in subway cars in think this can answer your question.

http://abc7ny.com/technology/mta-testing-technology-to-bring-wi-fi-to-subway-cars/1368522/

Agree. They could at least use that small LCD for service status instead of those BS showing on that screen now 

Oh boy. Once you get Wi-Fi in subway cars and in every station, you going to see many people taking selfies on the train. They are going to be extremely glued to their phones desperate for a text. I don't think the MTA should work on WI-FI in subway cars. 

Oh boy. Once you get Wi-Fi in subway cars and in every station, you going to see many people taking selfies on the train. They are going to be extremely glued to their phones desperate for a text. I don't think the MTA should work on WI-FI in subway cars.

You know, there are already people taking selfies on the train. Sometimes on my Snapchat, I would see some girls doing a pose or recording performers while on the train. Pretty sure that WiFi would be kind of pointless on the train when you can share your story at the next station.

WiFi would be wonderful! Maybe it'll get half the people to shut the hell up on the train.

Then, people's stupid videos will be blaring in the car and people won't pay attention to their surroundings. I see this all the time. A person is staring at their device and they don't notice until the doors are closing and they delay the train. Idiots.

Then, people's stupid videos will be blaring in the car and people won't pay attention to their surroundings. I see this all the time. A person is staring at their device and they don't notice until the doors are closing and they delay the train. Idiots.

Isn't it the rule that people have to use headphones?

I think that was a test since day one...

Day one of what? Because those cars never had them when they were new. Definitely never had them between 2008 and 2010!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Archived