MTA to Name Contractors for Post-Sandy Clark, Rutgers Tubes Repairs

Lance

post-2642-0-11743700-1465228958_thumb.jpg
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is quietly planning repairs to the Hurricane Sandy-ravaged 2 and 3 and F train tunnels between Brooklyn and Manhattan, in a similar vein to the much-fretted-about fix ups that will likely see the L tube close for more than a year. The 2012 super-storm sent saltwater gushing into the 2 and 3 trains’ Clark Street tunnel and the F train’s Rutgers Street tunnel, damaging tracks, signals, ducts, power, and communication cables, and now workers need extended access to fix them, according to the agency’s press guru Kevin Ortiz. The agency will name a contractor for the [Rutgers] job in 2018, Ortiz said, but claimed it is too soon to know when the work will start or end, and if it will need to close tunnel on weekdays.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-11743700-1465228958_thumb.jpg

Wonder how disasturious this might be. I know the (F) will run on the (A) and (C) lines but is it only going to be during weekend G.Os

It'll be fine, the exact same as the Cranberry repairs, but the inverse.  I don't know why anyone is assuming it'll be any different.

F via Cranberry in both directions from Jay to W4, most weekends and some nights, for however long.

It'll be fine, the exact same as the Cranberry repairs, but the inverse.  I don't know why anyone is assuming it'll be any different.

F via Cranberry in both directions from Jay to W4, most weekends and some nights, for however long.

That is a clear assumption. Nothing in the article stated what the closures will be but it did state the Rutgers tubes sustained more damage than the Clark tubes. The (F) may be shutdown entirely from York to East Broadway for continuous months or just weekends/nights. Thats where things may be interesting because the (F) has fairly short headways and sharing trackage with the (A)(C) and (E) on weekdays could be pretty damn bad not only that LES residents may not have train service other than the (M) which will see an increase but still doesnt serve 2nd Av,EB,York St, and Delancey. An (F) everyday rerouted via the Cranberry tubes can you imagine if the (B)(D) has to get rerouted via the (A)(C) because 6th Av is inaccessible. We see the B/D get rerouted via Culver every now and then just imagine the congestion.

Exactly this. Based on the service restoration maps, the Cranberry tubes were worse off than the Rutgers St tunnels since the former reopened a day later. If we're using this to correspond to the amount of repair work needed, the Rutgers tubes should not require any more time than the Cranberry tunnels currently do.

I'd imagine the MTA is waiting until 2018 to start so as to avoid having too many tunnels closed at once.

^Wait what...?

The (2) would run via Dyre Av in place of the (5) shuttle latenights and weekends. I think thats what they were getting at. This happened in 2012 & 13 the (2) was re-routed via Dyre and the (5) was running to Wakefield but because of switch and track panel replacements where the (2)/(5) couldn't access their original route IIRC

Archived