Q70 Select Bus Service – “LaGuardia Link”

Around the Horn

Part of the article about the LaGuardia groundbreaking on the Governor's website:

The Governor also announced that beginning in September 2016, buses on the current Q70 route serving LaGuardia Airport will be relaunched with a distinctive new look designed to help customers and tourists quickly find their way between LaGuardia Airport and two regional transit hubs in Queens that connect to five subway lines, Long Island Rail Road and seven bus lines.

The Q70 offers a convenient option for customers going to LaGuardia Airport via a connection right outside two transit hubs in Queens: Woodside-61 St 7 train station, where a LIRR transfer is available, and the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av 7, E, F, M, and R train station. From those stations the Q 70 operates non-stop to LaGuardia Airport’s Central Terminal (B), Terminal C, and Terminal D. Commuting times from midtown Manhattan to LaGuardia can be as fast as 35 minutes, and the connection to the bus is free for subway customers who use their MetroCard. 

The route, nicknamed the “LaGuardia Link,” will also become a Select Bus Service which employs convenient off-board fare technology that allows customers to pre-pay their fare and enter and exit through any bus door, eliminating the need to wait to pay at a single fare box, and decreasing dwell time at stops. The LaGuardia Link will also continue to offer travelers convenient luggage storage racks.

And a rendering of the buses:

ShuttleBus.jpeg

Wow their a lot of xecelsor in different scheme. First is the old scheme, second is the new scheme with the wifi SB cord, then their SBS scheme for the B46 and finally the LGA scheme for the Q70LTD

What next?

i guess this mandate is coming down from the most benevolent prince andrew 

No, this has been in the works for a long time now.

------------------------

Why can't they use THE CURRENT SBS SCHEME that's on the XD40s and make it a FULL WRAP!? This light blue looks HORRIBLE!

will they be outfitted with wifi and charging ports?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

All buses 2011 and newer will be getting them.

Wow their a lot of xecelsor in different scheme. First is the old scheme, second is the new scheme with the wifi SB cord, then their SBS scheme for the B46 and finally the LGA scheme for the Q70LTD

What next?

The new scheme seen on the MTA Bus XD60's is next for the XD40. 

No, this has been in the works for a long time now.

------------------------

Why can't they use THE CURRENT SBS SCHEME that's on the XD40s and make it a FULL WRAP!? This light blue looks HORRIBLE!

They want this route to stand out as an additional brand. If they wrap the bus with the new standard scheme it won't be distinguishable enough in their eyes.

The image does not make any sense. Bus 5364 is articulated and is on the Q10! Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. It might just be me, but I like the design.

This is Jackson Heights – Roosevelt Avenue

Transfer is available to the F M and R trains. Transfer is available to the LaGuardia Link and Q47 buses to LaGuardia Airport.

The image does not make any sense. Bus 5364 is articulated and is on the Q10! Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. It might just be me, but I like the design.

Transfer is available to the F M and R trains. Transfer is available to the LaGuardia Link and Q47 buses to LaGuardia Airport.

So what? The image is only to showcase the wrap. Everything else means nothing lol. 

My question is will this wrapping of buses be cheaper than repainting them? How often are buses re-wrapped anyway?  If monies are saved on paint, etc., but buses break down more often from the darker colors, I'm not sure that it will be any better for passengers.  They'll be able to see their bus, albeit broken down on the side of the road... 

I like the color scheme and the branding.  Many people who never ride city buses are confused by them.  If you tell them to go to the curb and look for the 'Q70 bus', now they have to pay attention to destination signs, they might get on the wrong bus ('What do you mean it's the wrong bus?   It began with a Q ...").  Providing a unique brand name and paint scheme will make it simpler for them to find and use the bus which is a good thing.  I would take it one step further and drop the Q70 designation except for internal use only - refer to it as the Link on all maps, schedules, websites, etc. and have the destination signs read 'LAGUARDIA LINK' 'TO SUBWAY'/'TO AIRPORT'.

Really??? Whats stupid about a "rendering" where no one actually gives a shit about a bus number??  

I like the color scheme and the branding.  Many people who never ride city buses are confused by them.  If you tell them to go to the curb and look for the 'Q70 bus', now they have to pay attention to destination signs, they might get on the wrong bus ('What do you mean it's the wrong bus?   It began with a Q ...").  Providing a unique brand name and paint scheme will make it simpler for them to find and use the bus which is a good thing.  I would take it one step further and drop the Q70 designation except for internal use only - refer to it as the Link on all maps, schedules, websites, etc. and have the destination signs read 'LAGUARDIA LINK' 'TO SUBWAY'/'TO AIRPORT'.

I needs to continue to be designated the Q70 just like all other Select services. Dropping the number will only confuse people more.

With all the newer buses being painted in the fleet, it wouldn't be wise to start telling people to look for the dark blue and gold bus, or look for the sky blue bus, or look for the bus thats dark blue and light blue. Q70 LaGuardia Link  + Terminal is better. We don't need to start dropping designations, which will confuse people more. Especially old school New Yorkers. 

Once people get uses to ALL the new colors, including the Dark Green/Light green scheme for the Express buses, them we can start saying that. But 80% of regular New York bus riders have no idea that new colors are coming. The people getting on Q10, 110, 111, 113, and 114 routes don't even know what the blue lights are on the ceiling, or that the buses have WiFi.

A lot of things suggested here on The Forums are for those of us that are familiar with how transit works, but I encourage many of you to actually think about this from the shoes of the average rider who knows nothing about the system.

If I don't know anything, and see a bus come up with no borough designation, but says LGA Link and is in those colors Im going to likely think it's a new Port Authority bus or some other system if I don't notice the MTA Sticker. And if the destination sign is in some type of blue, thats another thing New Yorkers are only used to on SBS.

Another fun fact. About 40% of New Yorkers don't even know what Select Bus Service is.

My question is will this wrapping of buses be cheaper than repainting them? How often are buses re-wrapped anyway?  If monies are saved on paint, etc., but buses break down more often from the darker colors, I'm not sure that it will be any better for passengers.  They'll be able to see their bus, albeit broken down on the side of the road... 

Lol

Clearly paint is heavier and more expensive, however that does not mean a bus will break down more often at all. It only means the fuel economy will be slightly decreased, and thats ONLY if the color coats are placed over white. Its not always heavier at all, and depends on the type of paint. If the TA got a good contract on the colors there may be almost no cost increase at all.  Buses are re-wrapped as they need to be, just as if they were painted.

Darker colors do affect many things like temperature and maintenance. White is the cheapest overall, and black is one of the most expensive. However maintenance depends on what breaks down more often. The paint isn't always heavier, just requires more to maintain. It doesn't mean that darker colors will cause buses to break down. Thats mainly an issue with black. 

Thats why MTA stopped painting the back of buses black. It's expensive and in the summer time attracts MAJOR heat. Notice how RTS and OG buses don't drop like flies in the summer like they used to. No black backs to attract heat to the engine compartment area. The Blue wrap on the new buses won't attract much heat at all, and the rear ends of all the buses will remain light colors, so U can't use the break-down more often argument here because it doesn't apply.

Lol

Clearly paint is heavier and more expensive, however that does not mean a bus will break down more often at all. It only means the fuel economy will be slightly decreased, and thats ONLY if the color coats are placed over white. Its not always heavier at all, and depends on the type of paint. If the TA got a good contract on the colors there may be almost no cost increase at all.  Buses are re-wrapped as they need to be, just as if they were painted.

Darker colors do affect many things like temperature and maintenance. White is the cheapest overall, and black is one of the most expensive. However maintenance depends on what breaks down more often. The paint isn't always heavier, just requires more to maintain. It doesn't mean that darker colors will cause buses to break down. Thats mainly an issue with black. 

Thats why MTA stopped painting the back of buses black. It's expensive and in the summer time attracts MAJOR heat. Notice how RTS and OG buses don't drop like flies in the summer like they used to. No black backs to attract heat to the engine compartment area. The Blue wrap on the new buses won't attract much heat at all, and the rear ends of all the buses will remain light colors, so U can't use the break-down more often argument here because it doesn't apply.

Well your buddy Cait claimed just that in another thread... lol I guess the verdict will be out on that one, but darker colors tend to attract more heat, not just black.  My question is on average do they re-wrap buses more often than they paint them and if so how much does it cost the (MTA) to wrap a bus versus re-painting one?  All of this wrapping of buses had to be done for more than just stylistic purposes.  

Well your buddy Cait claimed just that in another thread... lol I guess the verdict will be out on that one, but darker colors tend to attract more heat, not just black.  My question is on average do they re-wrap buses more often than they paint them and if so how much does it cost the (MTA) to wrap a bus versus re-painting one?  All of this wrapping of buses had to be done for more than just stylistic purposes.  

Thats because he is right, and It is possible. It's just more of an issue with black, or layered on coats of paint which companies like to stay away from. Not only that, but these days manufactures are using paints that arent as heady as they used to be.

It looks like they are wrapping buses at the same rate they were painting them. I would assume TA will continue to freshen up the white coats before they wrap. However, I have seen many buses re-wrapped and thats it. It's definitely cheaper than paint

They want this route to stand out as an additional brand. If they wrap the bus with the new standard scheme it won't be distinguishable enough in their eyes.

I guess that makes sense. They just need to make the actual sign programs blue and it'll be good altogether.

All the new buses with color signs are supposed to get the programming for it. Since the Q70 is going SBS they will upload into all the Bus Company signs, even the only ones without color.

It's no doubt going to be exactly like the current SBS unless they try something new.

Archived