Update on New Fleet Purchases and Fleet Movement.

The Real

Good Morning Everyone,

Its been a minute since I've posted here! Well here is the latest and greatest in upcoming bus purchases...

CONFIRMED:

92 Nova LFS Artics to be numbered #5439-5530 (number fixed)

139 New Flyer XD60 to be numbered #5987-6125

138 New Flyer XN40 to be numbered #673-810

UPCOMING CONFIRMED:

110 New Flyer XN60 (NYCB, Currently waiting on approved funding, will facilitate artic operations to the B35, Bx36 and Bx6 SBS)

75 40 Foot Hybrids (NYCB, Currently waiting on RFP documents from approved manufacturers)

UPCOMING AWAITING VARIOUS FUNDING APPROVALS & RFPs:

50 All Electric 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (NYCB, Proposed for the M42 and B42 Lines, awaiting approved funding)

190 Diesel Artics (NYCB, To be RFP'd)

53 Diesel Artics (MTAB to be RFP'd in October, for Woodhaven SBS and expansion at Baisley Park)

257 45-Foot Express Buses (MTAB to be RFP'd in October)

200 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (NYCB, Propulsion Not Decided [Possibly Hybrids])

41 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (MTAB to be RFP'd in October)

BUS MOVEMENTS

IMMEDIATE:

10 2009 Daimler Orion 07.501 3rd/Next Generation Hybrids to be moved to Eastchester over the summer to be followed by another 15-17 units from JK and LG sometime after. All 1999 Nova RTSs will be moved from EC to LG, the remaining Orion 5s will be retired.

FUTURE:

Some 1999 Nova RTSs and 2004-05 DaimlerChyrsler Orion 07.501 Gen IIs to be moved to MTAB from NYCB to facilitate the retirement of the 1996 Nova RTSs when the next batch of new buses arrive (XD60s and LFSAs) on the NYCB side of the operation.

NOT HAPPENING:

NO 2400 SERIES PREVOST WILL BE MOVED TO NYCB SIDE UNLESS PREVOST WINS THE 257-BUS ORDER FOR MTAB!!! ONLY THEN WILL SOME PREVOST FROM THE NYCB SIDE WILL GO TO THE MTAB SIDE FOR PRE-TRAINING! UNTIL IF, and I MEAN IF THAT HAPPENS, NO PREVOST TO MTAB FROM NYCB!!!!

A man very missed on the site.

Props, as always, for the steaming hot info.

Wonder what this will mean for the 2002-2003 D60s in the coming year or two. Will be sorry to see NYCB lose any 1999 RTSes, but I guess that's how it goes.

A man very missed on the site.

Props, as always, for the steaming hot info.

Wonder what this will mean for the 2002-2003 D60s in the coming year or two. Will be sorry to see NYCB lose any 1999 RTSes, but I guess that's how it goes.

Pretty much the 231 (92 LFSA and 139 XD60s) will knock out the last of the 1999-2000 D60HFs and MOST of the 2002-03 D60HFs, some small amount will remain until the NEXT batch of Diesels (the 190) are ordered. The XN60s will not affect any of the Diesel artics, the XN60 order affects the Orion 7 CNGs only.

Good Morning Everyone,

Its been a minute since I've posted here! Well here is the latest and greatest in upcoming bus purchases...

CONFIRMED:

92 Nova LFS Artics to be numbered #5439-5540

UPCOMING CONFIRMED:

110 New Flyer XN60 (NYCB, Currently waiting on approved funding, will facilitate artic operations to the B35, Bx36 and Bx6 SBS) (The B35, and Bx36 are not being SBS'ed right? I wanna make sure I read this properly.)

75 40 Foot Hybrids (NYCB, Currently waiting on RFP documents from approved manufacturers) (This order is for Manhattan only, or is that unconfirmed?)

50 All Electric 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (NYCB, Proposed for the M42 and B42 Lines, awaiting approved funding) (Why specifically those routes, and Quill/ENY would then have to take care of an extremely small fleet of all-electric buses too? Geez.)

53 Diesel Artics (MTAB to be RFP'd in October, for Woodhaven SBS and expansion at Baisley Park)

200 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (NYCB, Propulsion Not Decided [Possibly Hybrids])

BUS MOVEMENTS

IMMEDIATE:

10 2009 Daimler Orion 07.501 3rd/Next Generation Hybrids to be moved to Eastchester over the summer to be followed by another 15-17 units from JK and LG sometime after. All 1999 Nova RTSs will be moved from EC to LG, the remaining Orion 5s will be retired. (I must get my last Orion V rides in.)

FUTURE:

Some 1999 Nova RTSs and 2004-05 DaimlerChyrsler Orion 07.501 Gen IIs to be moved to MTAB from NYCB to facilitate the retirement of the 1996 Nova RTSs when the next batch of new buses arrive (XD60s and LFSAs) on the NYCB side of the operation.

NOT HAPPENING:

NO 2400 SERIES PREVOST WILL BE MOVED TO NYCB SIDE UNLESS PREVOST WINS THE 257-BUS ORDER FOR MTAB!!! ONLY THEN WILL SOME PREVOST FROM THE NYCB SIDE WILL GO TO THE MTAB SIDE FOR PRE-TRAINING! UNTIL IF, and I MEAN IF THAT HAPPENS, NO PREVOST TO MTAB FROM NYCB!!!!

(The pipe dream... So they don't wanna train those ops in advance? Does it cost more to train them on equipment they may not use?)

Questions in red, opinons in green. I'd just like responses to the questions if possible Trevor. Thank you in advance!

Questions in red, opinons in green. I'd just like responses to the questions if possible Trevor. Thank you in advance!

I would think that they would want to use the electric buses only on those certain routes because of the short distance and the close proximity to the depot.

The B35 and Bx6 are slated to be SBS, the Bx36 no.

The 75 Hybrids are slated for Manhattan, however...as with everything MTA, subject to change.

The M42 and B42 are short enough routes to fully test the feasibility of such a fleet, if all goes well, the AEB program will more than likely be expanded upon.

MAJOR pipe dream, it makes zero sense to send small batch of very different buses to a depot which may or may not ever get them, as posted, if Prevost wins the MTAB Express Bus order, then at that time you may see Prevost from the NYCB side make their way over for maintenance and driver training! Until then, VIVA LA MCI!

whats going on the option orders?

Nothing is going on with these option orders....NOTHING!

The B35 and Bx6 are slated to be SBS, the Bx36 no.

The 75 Hybrids are slated for Manhattan, however...as with everything MTA, subject to change.

The M42 and B42 are short enough routes to fully test the feasibility of such a fleet, if all goes well, the AEB program will more than likely be expanded upon.

MAJOR pipe dream, it makes zero sense to send small batch of very different buses to a depot which may or may not ever get them, as posted, if Prevost wins the MTAB Express Bus order, then at that time you may see Prevost from the NYCB side make their way over for maintenance and driver training! Until then, VIVA LA MCI!

Nothing is going on with these option orders....NOTHING!

B35 SBS - EXCUSE ME!!!! (Foamer moment) Okay that's pretty awesome!

And I figured as much about the hybrids.

Ahh, I guess I'll see where that goes.

And okay, makes sense.

Also, it seems like the term "option orders" doesn't really get it's due anymore, since the MTA doesn't seem to designate them as such. They buy what they need now. Am I on the ball - or is that all just formality?

B35 SBS - EXCUSE ME!!!! (Foamer moment) Okay that's pretty awesome!

And I figured as much about the hybrids.

Ahh, I guess I'll see where that goes.

And okay, makes sense.

Also, it seems like the term "option orders" doesn't really get it's due anymore, since the MTA doesn't seem to designate them as such. They buy what they need now. Am I on the ball - or is that all just formality?

Formality. I'm figuring since the Governor is putting his two cents in on the next 200 40-foot standard transit buses, and with that he wants them to be hybrid, you can't convert options like that. The cost is different and so on. From what I'm getting the MTA doesn't want more hybrids en-mass but it seems Albany is playing with the blueberries and cream more and more these days.

Hello there. I read/heard all about you. Imma just look around and just put my 50 cents here:

Good Morning Everyone,

CONFIRMED:

UPCOMING CONFIRMED:

110 New Flyer XN60 (NYCB, Currently waiting on approved funding, will facilitate artic operations to the B35, Bx36 and Bx6 SBS)

75 40 Foot Hybrids (NYCB, Currently waiting on RFP documents from approved manufacturers)

50 All Electric 40-Foot Standard Transit Buses (NYCB, Proposed for the M42 and B42 Lines, awaiting approved funding)

BUS MOVEMENTS

IMMEDIATE:

10 2009 Daimler Orion 07.501 3rd/Next Generation Hybrids to be moved to Eastchester over the summer to be followed by another 15-17 units from JK and LG sometime after. All 1999 Nova RTSs will be moved from EC to LG, the remaining Orion 5s will be retired.

FUTURE:

NOT HAPPENING:

First off, kind of surprised of the XD60/LFSA numbers. I expected the LFSA to starting at 5987, but the same time, I knew some weird thing might happen. (BTW, the last unit is 5530 for the LFSA, not 5540; 5540 makes 102 buses)

Speaking of wierd, 6500/6600s to MTA bus? Again, expected but unexpected from a company like the MTA. Looks like the fanning may happen soon.

The only thing missing here is the depot assignments, but that's not the main reason I came here. I came to see the latest fleet news. Thank you for returning to share this info with us.

Hello there. I read/heard all about you. Imma just look around and just put my 50 cents here:

First off, kind of surprised of the XD60/LFSA numbers. I expected the LFSA to starting at 5987, but the same time, I knew some weird thing might happen. (BTW, the last unit is 5530 for the LFSA, not 5540; 5540 makes 102 buses)

Speaking of wierd, 6500/6600s to MTA bus? Again, expected but unexpected from a company like the MTA. Looks like the fanning may happen soon.

The only thing missing here is the depot assignments, but that's not the main reason I came here. I came to see the latest fleet news. Thank you for returning to share this info with us.

5540 was a typo, I'm a victim of fat fingers but the edit option was gone when I noticed it.

Good Morning Everyone,

CONFIRMED:

UPCOMING CONFIRMED:

BUS MOVEMENTS

IMMEDIATE:

FUTURE:

NOT HAPPENING:

So, wait, those this mean that LaGuardia will NOT GET XD60s and the New XD60s will be numbered after the LFS'es?

If I were (MTA) bus. They need to keep it MCI. After that Prevost bus fire on the BQE/Gowauns I'd better think twice ordering from Prevost until investigation is complete.

B35 to be SBS. This will be rather interesting.

Get the artics. Keep the limited.

Let me get this correct. No LGA 5439-5491 XD60 coming in during the summer? Since the Baisley Park Order is basically done or almost done. Correct?

I also notice that the carryover of numbers of the MTA BUS and NYCT XD60 bus order will not commence at 5492.

Great news overall.

So, wait, those this mean that LaGuardia will NOT GET XD60s and the New XD60s will be numbered after the LFS'es?

Haven't seen or read anything about a JK or BP bus training at LGA. They should give LGA's order to (MTA) NYCT for the meantime. However, that's not how the procurement would be done.

Well, first off...the 53 Artics for Woodhaven has not been ordered yet, so until then...No LG is not getting XD60s.

If I were (MTA) bus. They need to keep it MCI. After that Prevost bus fire on the BQE/Gowauns I'd better think twice ordering from Prevost until investigation is complete.

B35 to be SBS. This will be rather interesting.

Get the artics. Keep the limited.

Let me get this correct. No LGA 5439-5491 XD60 coming in during the summer? Since the Baisley Park Order is basically done or almost done. Correct?

I also notice that the carryover of numbers of the MTA BUS and NYCT XD60 bus order will not commence at 5492.

Great news overall.

Haven't seen or read anything about a JK or BP bus training at LGA. They should give LGA's order to (MTA) NYCT for the meantime. However, that's not how the procurement would be done.

2755's fire was brakes related I'm hearing. I don't wanna have to spell that out... just because 1 bus burns doesn't mean the entire order was bad NOR does that mean it was manufacturing error neither. We've had Prevost in service now for 4-5 years without a bus burning...

The M42 and B42 make sense for electric buses. Both are short lines where the runs do multiple round trips. Looking forward to seeing them on my home line tho. Hope we get BYD.

The M42 and B42 make sense for electric buses. Both are short lines where the runs do multiple round trips. Looking forward to seeing them on my home line tho. Hope we get BYD.

Those BYD buses are made in China... Not good for the local economy.  We need more local jobs here, not less, and certainly not more stuff from China.

Those BYD buses are made in China... Not good for the local economy. We need more local jobs here, not less, and certainly not more stuff from China.

IINM, every other bus in this fleet upgrade is being made here or in Canada. The BYD buses are the only ones being made in another country AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Those BYD buses are made in China... Not good for the local economy. We need more local jobs here, not less, and certainly not more stuff from China.

BYD has had a plant open in Lancaster, California since 2013 in order for the bus to meet with the whole "Buy America" act

BYD has had a plant open in Lancaster, California since 2013 in order for the bus to meet with the whole "Buy America" act

That's a start I suppose, though I wonder what the agreement entails in terms of the where the parts come from for the buses...

IINM, every other bus in this fleet upgrade is being made here or in Canada. The BYD buses are the only ones being made in another country AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

To my knowledge, the Canadian companies for the most part have plants in upstate New York or within the US.  When I lived near Montréal, I actually saw Bombardier with some train sets being tested before they were shipped to New York City.  They have a plant up in Plattsburgh, not too far from the old airplane base.

BYD is awful they are pretty much a Chinese counterfeiter for cars in China. We all know about counterfeits here, they're cheap horrible and they don't last. The MTA would be better off with the Xcelsior or the new medium sized MiDi that is expected to be released soon for their electric bus.

That's a start I suppose, though I wonder what the agreement entails in terms of the where the parts come from for the buses...

The Buy America act states that the majority of the product (not quite sure of the exact emount, maybe 70-80 don't quote me on it) must be made in the US. Which is why these companies (Kawasaki, New Flyer, Bombardier, etc.) are opening up plants across the US.

BYD is awful they are pretty much a Chinese counterfeiter for cars in China. We all know about counterfeits here, they're cheap horrible and they don't last. The MTA would be better off with the Xcelsior or the new medium sized MiDi that is expected to be released soon for their electric bus.

The Midi is only offered in diesel. And the MTA is not gonna order no bus less than 40'.

The Buy America act states that the majority of the product (not quite sure of the exact emount, maybe 70-80 don't quote me on it) must be made in the US. Which is why these companies (Kawasaki, New Flyer, Bombardier, etc.) are opening up plants across the US.

The Midi is only offered in diesel. And the MTA is not gonna order no bus less than 40'.

I didn't know the MiDi was diesel, however, New Flyer is planning to make a longer MiDi that is 40 ft  nvm their medium sized bus is still under 40ft 

Archived