MTA eTix are here on the Hudson Line and Port Washington Branch

Union Tpke

There's nothing to be confused about. The carrier wants it activated prior to boarding so revenue collection on the train is not delayed by a bunch of people fumbling with their phones.

I wonder if this support's Apple's passport kit layer or Google wallet? Id the take it the App generates a QR code similar to boarding passes for the airlines. This one of the reasons you need some type of wireless infrastructure at the station or on  board the train would be useful. A basic BLE beacon could let your phone know it's on the train and bring the ticket up automatically even the on the lock screen. Airports are so large an app can even use geo fencing or triangulate cells don't think this would be the case with trains, and train stations a lot smaller plus AGPS is a battery hog beings it uses Wi-Fi to help triangulate as well.. Also how is this different from Amtrak's system or CTA's Ventra system.?

Phone service is needed to purchase a ticket, once purchased it goes into the "ticket wallet" on the app.  Per the app, tickets are purchased by means of a credit or debit card.   No service is needed to activate the ticket.  Although there is a QR displayed on an activated ticket, the tickets are currently being visually verified.  Electronic verification by means of the QR code will happen in the future.

Phone service is needed to purchase a ticket, once purchased it goes into the "ticket wallet" on the app.  Per the app, tickets are purchased by means of a credit or debit card.   No service is needed to activate the ticket.  Although there is a QR displayed on an activated ticket, the tickets are currently being visually verified.  Electronic verification by means of the QR code will happen in the future.

Gotcha. There more then likely load testing there database and systems on the backend. Logical to start with the lines with the lowest ridership and scale up from there. The system is generating a ID or inventory number for the tickets with the QR already conductors will need some type smart device to scan or tap for RFID/NFC. Thanks for the info.

Gotcha. There more then likely load testing there database and systems on the backend. Logical to start with the lines with the lowest ridership and scale up from there. The system is generating a ID or inventory number for the tickets with the QR already conductors will need some type smart device to scan or tap for RFID/NFC. Thanks for the info.

Port Washington is not low ridership...

They probably wanted to pick the most isolated lines so that they could control the test size.

Port Washington is not low ridership...

They probably wanted to pick the most isolated lines so that they could control the test size.

I could see that as well. Virtually no overlaps with stations on mutable routes didn't think of that. what's the ridership? 50K

....conductors will need some type smart device to scan or tap for RFID/NFC.

Conductors on Metro North already have the QR code scanners integrated with their ticket machine.  In reality it's a plug and play device that slides onto the i phone the conductors use.

Conductors on Metro North already have the QR code scanners integrated with their ticket machine.  In reality it's a plug and play device that slides onto the i phone the conductors use.

Didn't notice that one. How long have they had this hardware? There really ready to go then.

I could see that as well. Virtually no overlaps with stations on mutable routes didn't think of that. what's the ridership? 50K

As of 2015, there were 13 million riders on the branch, making it the third busiest branch on the LIRR. Once you account for how short the line is relative to the other branches, it's the busiest line on the network.

I actually forgot about using the app earlier this evening.  I took a semi-express train from Riverdale to Grand Central and just got a City Ticket.  Once I got to the platform, that's when I thought about it, but by then it was too late.  One question I do have is regarding receipts.  I need receipts for all of my trips for tax purposes.  How does this app work regarding that? 

I actually forgot about using the app earlier this evening.  I took a semi-express train from Riverdale to Grand Central and just got a City Ticket.  Once I got to the platform, that's when I thought about it, but by then it was too late.  One question I do have is regarding receipts.  I need receipts for all of my trips for tax purposes.  How does this app work regarding that? 

Per the FAQ on the app, once tickets are purchased a receipt is emailed to the email address on file.  It also appears city tickets are available via the app.

It about time for them to do this. I have the NJT and it so much easier. You can buy the ticket while you are at home killing time before you go. 

The pro of using the app

1- no waiting in line

2- if train is already there no worry to go to vending machine

3- it hold your ticket on file if it not activated

4-no worries about exact change to hand over the money

5-reciepts in email

When i use the NJT app, I don't activate my ticket till i see the conductor coming near me because there is a timers on the tickets especially when you need to transfer to another line. 

I just really want this on the Port Jefferson line so I no longer have to run to the opposite end of the Stony Brook platform to get the tickets. (On that note, why the hell are the ticket machines on the opposite end of the platform from where most SBU students are?)

Per the FAQ on the app, once tickets are purchased a receipt is emailed to the email address on file.  It also appears city tickets are available via the app.

That's lovely.  I haven't finished setting up the app quite yet with payment info, but I'm sure I'll try it very soon.  This is much more environmentally friendly (a lot less paper wasted).  The only thing I have to worry about is if my phone dies and the conductor can't scan the ticket, so I would only do that with a fully juiced phone.  I think for monthly passes though, I would rather get a paper ticket, because with those you can use it as a Metrocard.  Are those monthly passes also reloadable?  In other words can you continue to reload them and use them as Metrocards?  I know they expire after the month on Metro-North as passes for sure...

I would NOT recommend reloading the metro card on the Metro North monthly tickets.  I've heard problems that they can get jammed up when trying to reload them.  The monthly train commutations are a thicker stock than the subway only metro card and can get jammed up when trying to reload them.

I would NOT recommend reloading the metro card on the Metro North monthly tickets.  I've heard problems that they can get jammed up when trying to reload them.  The monthly train commutations are a thicker stock than the subway only metro card and can get jammed up when trying to reload them.

Yeah I've seen them in person, and I was shocked that they could even be used as Metrocards... They look more like a paper version of the Metrocard with a thicker paper, but even so, didn't look too durable... Nevertheless, I still like those because they're easier to recycle.  You can simple shred them since they're paper, unlike the standard plastic Metrocards.

One obvious drawback for 10-trip tickets is non-transferability. With a paper 10-trip, sometimes I use it and sometimes my wife uses it. With eTix, we would need to buy two 10-trips, and we don't ride often enough for that to be useful.

Not really... Just carry whatever phone the e-Tickets are on and violà... I was thinking of trying it out tonight, but I'm taking the express bus home...

Archived