ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

Question I work in a seasonal full time job 7-8 months out of the year altogether I definitely have the 5 years work experience. However when stating all this will I have to fill in for each 7-8 month work period or can I just lump them together?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question I work in a seasonal full time job 7-8 months out of the year altogether I definitely have the 5 years work experience. However when stating all this will I have to fill in for each 7-8 month work period or can I just lump them together?

The answer to your question is at this link:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/instruct_eeaf.pdf

The Education and Experience sample test form is here:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/pdf/sample_EETP.pdf

Edited by ren

Quick question. ..they are going to be hiring off the promotional list first...I heard the promotion list is made up of Bus Operators who take the Train Operator exam..is this true? Also would the 5 year work requirement still stand if taking a promotional?

Currently on Bus Operator 4600 hiring list. ...will be interested taking the promotional next time around if true.

B/Os take the T/O promotional exam alongside other titles that are eligible for the promotion. It's not a separate promotional exam for every eligible title. The 5 year work experience doesn't apply if you're already in one of the titles. All that matters is that you are out of your probationary period by the time of the promotion(& pass the medical, etc).

FYI: MaBSTOA & Bus Co. B/Os are not eligible to promote to the title according to past filings.

Quick question. ..they are going to be hiring off the promotional list first...I heard the promotion list is made up of Bus Operators who take the Train Operator exam..is this true? Also would the 5 year work requirement still stand if taking a promotional?

Currently on Bus Operator 4600 hiring list. ...will be interested taking the promotional next time around if true.

No. The promotional list is made up of permanent MTA employees who were in an eligible title (Conductor, Tower Operator, or Bus Operator) by the cutoff date for that particular exam (typically last day of filing). OR MTA employees in an ineligible title who've passed a certificate program to sit for the exam (this applies for non-competitive civil service titles like cleaners typically).

Even probationary employees can take promotional exams provided they meet the criteria for the NOE, as long as they were "permanently" appointed, even if they are probationary and therefore haven't reached permanent status yet. Probationary =/= provisional (provisional would disqualify an employee from taking a promotional exam).

The only exception to this is exams that require service time in a particular title to sit for the exam (for example Train Service Supervisor requires 2 years as a Train Operator, 1 of which must have been in passenger service AKA road). If the NOE does not specify a requirement for time in title, there isn't a requirement other than being appointed to a permanent title by the cutoff date for the exam.

All promotionals take the same exam, although theirs are scored differently since their total service time to Transit is a component of their score. Once the promotional list is established, ALL of the promotional employees who are not disqualfiied (usually for sick time) will be called in order before the FIRST open competitives are hired.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I have another question about qualifications for T/O:

The education and experience requirement asks for 5 years of paid full-time work, with part-time work being pro-rated, and with up to 4 years of college being able to substitute for the work requirement (30 credits for each year of work to be substituted).

So suppose I have 76 credits. Could that count as 2.5 years?

And if so, let's also suppose that I have about 2 years of work-study in college, which is part-time. There were about maybe 2-3 months in those 2 years when I wasn't working.

In total, I would have about maybe 4.5 years or so of combined work/education. Would that be sufficient to satisfy the 5 year requirement?

Or put it another way, do they allow rounding off years and months? Say, 4.5 into 5? And would they "pro-rate" the part-time work experience?

I have another question about qualifications for T/O:

The education and experience requirement asks for 5 years of paid full-time work, with part-time work being pro-rated, and with up to 4 years of college being able to substitute for the work requirement (30 credits for each year of work to be substituted).

So suppose I have 76 credits. Could that count as 2.5 years?

And if so, let's also suppose that I have about 2 years of work-study in college, which is part-time. There were about maybe 2-3 months in those 2 years when I wasn't working.

In total, I would have about maybe 4.5 years or so of combined work/education. Would that be sufficient to satisfy the 5 year requirement?

Or put it another way, do they allow rounding off years and months? Say, 4.5 into 5? And would they "pro-rate" the part-time work experience?

4.5 is not 5, so no.

2 years of work study must be paid. If wages were not earned that were taxable to you at the end of the year, it doesn't count. If doing work study was a condition of attending college but was never compensated, it doesn't count.

If it was compensated, you will receive part time credit based on a full work week. So if you worked 20 hours a week, 2 months of work study at 20 hours a week = 1 month of full time work.

Those must be added together to get 5 years, not 4.5, not 4.99.

If you don't have that by the cutoff date, you will be disqualified.

4.5 is not 5, so no.

2 years of work study must be paid. If wages were not earned that were taxable to you at the end of the year, it doesn't count. If doing work study was a condition of attending college but was never compensated, it doesn't count.

If it was compensated, you will receive part time credit based on a full work week. So if you worked 20 hours a week, 2 months of work study at 20 hours a week = 1 month of full time work.

Those must be added together to get 5 years, not 4.5, not 4.99.

If you don't have that by the cutoff date, you will be disqualified.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me who sets the qualifications for the position of T/O? Is that at the Exams Unit at 180 Livingston? or elsewhere? What I would like to do is ask if they could perhaps adjust the requirement so that they defer the 5 years experience requirement. Like making the cutoff date as the day of appointment to schoolcar instead of the date of applying for the exam.

Edited by ren

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me who sets the qualifications for the position of T/O? Is that at the Exams Unit at 180 Livingston? or elsewhere? What I would like to do is ask if they could perhaps adjust the requirement so that they defer the 5 years experience requirement. Like making the cutoff date as the day of appointment to schoolcar instead of the date of applying for the exam.

The MTA probably does that setting the qualifications...

As for asking them that other question..

Good Luck....

As for asking them that other question....Good Luck...

I hate to hurt your feelings, however I agree 100% with @RTOMan, especially with the high number of people that are expected to initially apply for the exam...

With the high number of applicants they will have taking the exam they will have PLENTY of people that will meet that 5yr full-time work requirement. As for them changing it to satisfy you is slim to none.

With the high number of applicants they will have taking the exam they will have PLENTY of people that will meet that 5yr full-time work requirement. As for them changing it to satisfy you is slim to none.

You forgot to mention those that have the 1yr full-time work experience for those that have a bachelor's degree!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it too early to start discussing what to expect from the exam?  Is there another thread that talks about it?

There is not another thread, and yes, it is too early to start discussing what to expect from the exam. The Notice of Examination (NOE) will give us a lot more information for the upcoming exam. If you are unsure of what a Notice of Examination is, click here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know what type of questions are on the TO exam? Should I buy passbook study guide for the exam?

As far as the passbook, from using those things in the past to study for the Track Worker, Conductor and Bus Operator examinations, 100% of those books are a waste. Even Queens Library has one [1] copy, but it dates back to 1988 (which should say something itself).

As far as what type of questions will be on the exam, like I said in post #41, we have to wait until the Notice of Examination comes out. If you're unsure of what that consists of, refer to the URL link in post #41, which should be self-explanatory.

As far as the passbook, from using those things in the past to study for the Track Worker, Conductor and Bus Operator examinations, 100% of those books are a waste. Even Queens Library has one [1] copy, but it dates back to 1988 (which should say something itself).

As far as what type of questions will be on the exam, like I said in post #41, we have to wait until the Notice of Examination comes out. If you're unsure of what that consists of, refer to the URL link in post #41, which should be self-explanatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, what do you recommend i should to prepare?

Thank you, what do you recommend i should to prepare?

If you're anxious to do something right now, I would recommend picking up a good book, preferably something that you're interested in, read it and try to understand the material 100%. Chances are that there will be a reading comprehension passage on the exam.

Otherwise, wait until the Notice of Examination comes out...

• 3 weeks later...