ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

5 hours ago, apokeguy said:

That is weird. On my letter the first listed is "original SS card". Maybe they just used a B/O letter template? I definitely didn't take the B/O exam and don't recall that the NOE stated CDL was required. 

I just recently went to 180 Livingston for my conductor OPA and just this week I received the letter for temp position for T/O. Should I concentrate more on conductor (knowing myself I'm OK with study material but getting terminated for not getting 100% on certain T/O exams has me a little worried.)

That's a decision that comes down to what you ultimately want to do and the sacrifices you're willing to make. Keep in mind it might take longer to become a C/R if you choose that route over T/O. I took my OPA for C/R back in October and recieved my results and pre employment letter in late March so almost a 6 month wait. Seems like you guys won't even have to do the OPA since they need bodies ASAP even though it was on the NOE.

I personally wish i could've taken this test, but I didn't meet the requirements. It's ok though since i plan on taking the next promo exam given. It's a tough choice, but you may be able to be on the job quicker if you go the T/O route. Also when i was at Livingston for pre em we were told that you must score 80% on your quizzes and practicals or you will fail school car.

I'm kind of salty at how quick this process went compared to C/R. Almost 2 years just to start the process while you guys are starting in under a year. Crazy lol and goodluck hope to be on the road with some of you soon.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

That's a decision that comes down to what you ultimately want to do and the sacrifices you're willing to make. Keep in mind it might take longer to become a C/R if you choose that route over T/O. I took my OPA for C/R back in October and recieved my results and pre employment letter in late March so almost a 6 month wait. Seems like you guys won't even have to do the OPA since they need bodies ASAP even though it was on the NOE.

I personally wish i could've taken this test, but I didn't meet the requirements. It's ok though since i plan on taking the next promo exam given. It's a tough choice, but you may be able to be on the job quicker if you go the T/O route. Also when i was at Livingston for pre em we were told that you must score 80% on your quizzes and practicals or you will fail school car.

I'm kind of salty at how quick this process went compared to C/R. Almost 2 years just to start the process while you guys are starting in under a year. Crazy lol and goodluck hope to be on the road with some of you soon.

Yes it is a quick turn around that caught me completely off guard. They said they hiring 60 people at this moment. She also mention there will most likely be another class as soon as the list is established which is in 1 or 2 month and the list number that we got right now is 99.97 percent accurate. 

1 hour ago, Elfamoso2020 said:

Yes it is a quick turn around that caught me completely off guard. They said they hiring 60 people at this moment. She also mention there will most likely be another class as soon as the list is established which is in 1 or 2 month and the list number that we got right now is 99.97 percent accurate. 

My buddy who works for MTA told me list will be mailed in July. 

I also received a pre-employment today Fri May 11 dated May 8 for May 17 appointment but have to decline because my wallet was stolen along with my driver's license and work permit card (Employment authorization document). I don't know what I scored as I didn't grade my answers but my list number is 320. 

Does anyone know how soon after I mail the letter back for decline, that I can put my number back on the "list" that's not even established? 
Also how does the whole decline process work with DCAS? If I decline, does it mean that I can't be called in the future?

Wow...this is insane that people are being called in this early already even though the list has not even been officially established nor released yet. So, with my score of 87, I think that I may have a shot but I may have to wait 3 years...

Got my letter today.  Report to 180 Livingston on Tuesday May 15th with a list number of 21X.  Had two answers wrong according to my candidate record of answers.  I'm currently a Bus Operator with the MTA going on two years.  Was really starting to get comfortable as a B/O after making it through probation and getting better work as I gain more seniority.  Tough decision to make over the next few days.  Anyone else here currently working for the MTA in another department considering the Train operator position?

1 hour ago, nipaaaa said:

I also received a pre-employment today Fri May 11 dated May 8 for May 17 appointment but have to decline because my wallet was stolen along with my driver's license and work permit card (Employment authorization document). I don't know what I scored as I didn't grade my answers but my list number is 320. 

Does anyone know how soon after I mail the letter back for decline, that I can put my number back on the "list" that's not even established? 
Also how does the whole decline process work with DCAS? If I decline, does it mean that I can't be called in the future?

The lady said the lost should be established anywhere from 1 to 2 month from now. You can decline this one till the list is establish. She said there might be another class once the list is established so you might be call for that one. 

Now when they eatablish a list, is that just a list based upon scores or will that be a list based upon qualifications. I know i didnt score as high as alot of you may have however, on the announcement when the test came out it did say you needed 1 year of “full-time work”  and “clean drivers license” im hoping that is still ybe case because atleast half of the room when i took my test didnt have these things. Some were indicating they worked off the books for years to avoid wage garnishment for child support and others stated they had permits and many were asking about point on the license. so i hope that there is a little hope for those who didnt score as high, but do meet the qualifications.  And for those who may never get called dont loose faith as this may jusy not be a suitible job match for you. 🤷🏽‍♀

19 minutes ago, njbk said:

Another question: what if any is the tattoo policy for working as a TO?

I have tattoos myself but I’m able to cover it with a long sleeve, I would try my best to cover any body art if you’re going in for interviews its just formality and more professional.

47 minutes ago, PurposeFilled said:

Now when they eatablish a list, is that just a list based upon scores or will that be a list based upon qualifications. I know i didnt score as high as alot of you may have however, on the announcement when the test came out it did say you needed 1 year of “full-time work”  and “clean drivers license” im hoping that is still ybe case because atleast half of the room when i took my test didnt have these things. Some were indicating they worked off the books for years to avoid wage garnishment for child support and others stated they had permits and many were asking about point on the license. so i hope that there is a little hope for those who didnt score as high, but do meet the qualifications.  And for those who may never get called dont loose faith as this may jusy not be a suitible job match for you. 🤷🏽‍♀

They pretty much already failed if I’m correct. The NOE clearly states you must have these things already before signing up, not after. This is my first MTA exam but all other nyc exams I’ve taken the list gets established first, then as you go in for background checks is when they start dropping like flies. Great for anyone, it clears through the list faster to reach those with higher numbers and higher social security numbers for the tiebreaking scores.

I can cover mine with long sleeve as well. I’m more curious about when I’m actually on the job (if i get in) i.e. can i wear short sleeve shirts in summertime even though i have a lot of tattoos. 

1 hour ago, njbk said:

I can cover mine with long sleeve as well. I’m more curious about when I’m actually on the job (if i get in) i.e. can i wear short sleeve shirts in summertime even though i have a lot of tattoos. 

Good question to ask! I totally forgot to ask that question even though I can also hide my arm tattoos with long sleeve.

1 hour ago, njbk said:

MTA provides uniforms.  Short sleeves and long sleeves uniform shirts.

6 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

MTA provides uniforms.  Short sleeves and long sleeves uniform shirts.

Right. My question is if my arms are fully tattooed do i have to wear long sleeves at all times or is it ok to wear short sleeves and have my tattoos exposed. 

Edited by njbk

1 minute ago, njbk said:

Right. My question is if my arms are fully tattooed do i have to wear log sleeves at all times or is it ok to wear short sleeves and have my tattoos exposed. 

As a B/O tattoos and piercings are ok. All they’re concerned is your safety operating their equipment at all times. You’ll be fine with the tattoos on your arms....I’ll do some research this week since Dept of buses and Trains may have different rules, but I’m sure it shouldn’t be a issue to display tattoos unless its a very disturbing Tattoos...