MTA begins process of phasing out Metrocards

46Dover

Notwithstanding the misleading article, I find it funny that the MTA is just now beginning to explore getting rid of a 1990's era fare payment system the same week Boston's MBTA is beginning to explore how to get rid of their mid-2000's era fare payment system, which other than the CharlieTicket portion of their system was already quite decent.

Well I just hope this new system means fewer read errors and shorter waits for reimbursement. I called the Metrocard # earlier today from my office to see what the status was for a malfunctioned Metrocard I reported last month, and I was told it could take up to six (6) weeks for them to finalize my claim.  Ridiculous...

Well I just hope this new system means fewer read errors and shorter waits for reimbursement. I called the Metrocard # earlier today from my office to see what the status was for a malfunctioned Metrocard I reported last month, and I was told it could take up to six (6) weeks for them to finalize my claim.  Ridiculous...

I had an unlimited card that I added pay per ride value to as a backup. It expired and I tried to get a new card from a Metrocard and it wouldn't let me. I tried at the token booth and the person said I had to mail it in. 

I mailed it in with a description of what happened. 

It took like a month and they sent me a new card and a letter saying "we determined that you card has expired, please try to get a new card at a MVM or token booth"  :rolleyes:

I had an unlimited card that I added pay per ride value to as a backup. It expired and I tried to get a new card from a Metrocard and it wouldn't let me. I tried at the token booth and the person said I had to mail it in. 

I mailed it in with a description of what happened. 

It took like a month and they sent me a new card and a letter saying "we determined that you card has expired, please try to get a new card at a MVM or token booth"  :rolleyes:

LMAO.... The guy also told me that they would likely refund me for the Express bus pass that wasn't activated... So it takes up to 6 weeks for that.  For the second Express bus pass, it remains unclear what they will do with that since it was partially used.  

I've noticed that the MetroCard office has started mailing checks for the value of the defective card rather than a brand new card...not only does that mean I have to deposit a check,but they don't add an extra dollar cover the cost of a new card!

I've noticed that the MetroCard office has started mailing checks for the value of the defective card rather than a brand new card...not only does that mean I have to deposit a check,but they don't add an extra dollar cover the cost of a new card!

lol... Ridiculous... Luckily I have some old Express Bus Metrocards that I can refill... That's the other kicker with these stupid cards... If you put one type of pass on it, you can't refill it with anything other than that type of pass... The system assumes wayy too much about the type of the travelers it has... Either that or it just shows how outdated this system is...

lol... Ridiculous... Luckily I have some old Express Bus Metrocards that I can refill... That's the other kicker with these stupid cards... If you put one type of pass on it, you can't refill it with anything other than that type of pass... The system assumes wayy too much about the type of the travelers it has... Either that or it just shows how outdated this system is...

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Flexibility and MetroCard are two terms that don't fit together

Also why is there no 30 day express bus pass? I'd expect those to sell like hot cakes...

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I once emailed the MTA with that suggestion and only got back the generic"thank you for your comment" email

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Flexibility and MetroCard are two terms that don't fit together

I once emailed the MTA with that suggestion and only got back the generic"thank you for your comment" email

Oh what? You can't put a 30 day on a card and then put a 7 day express bus pass when the 30 expires?

Also why is there no 30 day express bus pass? I'd expect those to sell like hot cakes...

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Nope... You can only refill a Metrocard with the same exact pass.... So for example, if you buy a weekly (non express bus Metrocard - the $31 dollar card), you could not put a monthly on it.  Apparently the system is too old to handle reloading different types of Metrocards, and I guess the (MTA) didn't think that many people would need such a set up (which couldn't be further from the truth).  While most people are creatures of habit, vacations and the like can easily change how you travel, and plenty of people jump around from one mode of transit to another.  That was supposed to be the whole point of the Metrocard anyway, was to make it easier to use buses, subways, etc.

As for your other question, there was a monthly express bus pass that was $120.00 a month.  It was discontinued in the late 2000's.  The (MTA) said that they were too expensive to replace at the time so they kept the weekly passes only.  It was just an excuse to get rid of a really good deal, because now you have people that refill the weekly passes that go over $100.00 so I don't see the point, and you have Metro-North and LIRR monthly passes that are well over $200.00 a month.

Yeah, so annoying.  I think if you have a pass, what they do is mail you a check for a pro-rated version of the old card's worth since their system is probably too old to do anything outside of the current passes that they sell.  In other words, they only do 7 day passes, one day passes and monthly passes.

Yeah, so annoying.  I think if you have a pass, what they do is mail you a check for a pro-rated version of the old card's worth since their system is probably too old to do anything outside of the current passes that they sell.  In other words, they only do 7 day passes, one day passes and monthly passes.

Archived