Potential B26/Q55 reroute in Ridgewood, Q59 reroute in Rego Park, M5 split revisement, etc.

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/160725_1030_NYCT.pdf

M5 Split *REVISED* (Page 128-Page 133)

The M5 will be split into two routes: the M5 and M55. However, the initial proposal has change. Under the old change, the M5 would terminate somewhere around Herald Square, and the M55 on 37 Street (coming from the south). The M5 will now run between 178 Street and 31 Street. The M55 will now run between South Ferry and 44 Street. Limited-stop service will be retained on the M5 only. The proposal will increase operation costs by $1,131,000 annually. The M5 split will occur in January 2017.

B26/Q55 reroute in Ridgewood (Page 134-Page 138)

Some public plaza is being built, which will result in a change in bus service in the area. The reroute is as follows:

B26- Buses will now terminate on Wyckoff Avenue at Palmetto Street. Service north of Myrtle Avenue discontinued.

Q55- Ridgewood buses will not turn onto St. Nicholas Avenue, but continue onto Myrtle Avenue, then turn left on Gates Avenue, left on Irving Place, left on Palmetto Street, and continue onto Palmetto to the terminal. The Q55 bus stop at Ridgewood terminal will be moved across the street. Richmond Hill buses will go up from the terminal on Palmetto, then make a right on St. Nicholas Avenue, then merge left on Myrtle Avenue. This is cost-neutral

Q59 reroute in Rego Park (Page 139-Page 142)

Rego Park buses will now turn left at the Horace Harding Expwy from Queens Blvd, right on Junction Blvd, and right on 62 Drive, and terminate at Queens Blvd. From the new stop on 62 Drive at Queens Blvd, buses will turn right at Queens Blvd, and continue on the regular route. Junction Blvd stop at Queens Blvd is discontinued, but service directly serves Rego Park shopping (North Side). It is cost-neutral.

MTA Bus Schedule changes for September 2016 (Page 143-145)

Two things will happen:

1. The Q103 headway will finally be 30 minutes during midday hours. 

2. There will be modification in runtime on the following lines: Q52, Q53, Q60, Q72, Q11O, Q112 and BM3.

This will cost $2.4 million annually.

Yay!!!! The M55 is one more extension closer to being the M6, and the M5 is more or less the same.

Well, 44th Street is not a bad place, but I prefer it to end at 57th Street. Let's see how this "extension" works out.

Not even. The M6 never ran on 5th Avenue. It's just a shorter M1.

The Q59 reroute looks similar to what the Q88 did before the expansion of QCM. As for the M5/55 split, a little similar to the M10/20 split in 1999. The northern terminal could have been Columbus Circle. There was actually talk about cutting back the M5 to Houston and reinstating the M6...another case of "my johnson is bigger than yours"

The Q59 reroute looks similar to what the Q88 did before the expansion of QCM. As for the M5/55 split, a little similar to the M10/20 split in 1999. The northern terminal could have been Columbus Circle. There was actually talk about cutting back the M5 to Houston and reinstating the M6...another case of "my johnson is bigger than yours"

I don't recall the Q88 ever traveling along eastbound on the Horace Harding Expwy Service Rd between Queens Blvd and Junction Blvd. The Q88 would make a right onto Junction Blvd and then a left onto (at that time) a two-way 59th Av. Then layover on 92nd St and pickup on the corner of Queens Blvd and 59th Av (Woodhaven Blvd).

I don't recall the Q88 ever traveling along eastbound on the Horace Harding Expwy Service Rd between Queens Blvd and Junction Blvd. The Q88 would make a right onto Junction Blvd and then a left onto (at that time) a two-way 59th Av. Then layover on 92nd St and pickup on the corner of Queens Blvd and 59th Av (Woodhaven Blvd).

I think it was left on Junction, right on 62 Dr, right on Queens Blvd, then right on 59 to the current Q38 stop

Archived