R68 G Electronic Sign Test Train Action!

Dj Hammers

Very interesting. I was just thinking about this very idea this morning. I thought the plan to retrofit these cars with electronic signage died off. It'll be nice when they add the actual announcements onto these things.

R68's start at 2500, thus the numbering is 2860-2861-2863-2862 if I'm not mistaken....

Anyway, whats the point of installing these now when this car class will be retired soon??

The 62s and 68s have at least another decade on them before they will be retired. It makes sense they would add these to the cars that will likely be around through the majority of the 2020s. It would provide some of the same amenities that are found on the NTT fleet.

The 62s and 68s have at least another decade on them before they will be retired. It makes sense they would add these to the cars that will likely be around through the majority of the 2020s. It would provide some of the same amenities that are found on the NTT fleet.

Hmmm I suppose.... ^_^

I remember reading the RFP that went out to contractors for these, which noted that there were no additional pins in the electrical couplers between cars and that a novel approach would need to be devised to enable communication between the signs. Now, it's possible they just digitized the PA - so you have a data line connecting the sets which now has the full PA/CIS functions multiplexed together - or it's possible these use a wireless link. Wireless seems pretty logical and straightforward these days. Though - might be a lot of fun for somebody to do some packet sniffing, reverse engineer the protocol, and hack the displays. 

Not that I would ever do such a thing. 

Archived