New LIRR Station @ Flushing

IAlam

I don't see usage going up that much though.  The Asians for the most part flock to the subway... One of the reasons the X51 tanked when the demographics in Flushing started changing... 

To be fair, a big part of why usage is so bad is because the entrances are basically impossible to find. The X51 was also way slower than, say, the express Chinatown vans, and twice as expensive. There's less overlap with the LIRR service though, and the LIRR is easily way faster. I could see weekend usage spiking, particularly during service changes on the (7).

Where is the entrance to the LIRR station? It's hard to tell with all those shops in the way at Main Street.

The one going east is next to the bridge on the library side. The one going west is in this weird alley coming from 40th Road.

To be fair, a big part of why usage is so bad is because the entrances are basically impossible to find. The X51 was also way slower than, say, the express Chinatown vans, and twice as expensive. There's less overlap with the LIRR service though, and the LIRR is easily way faster. I could see weekend usage spiking, particularly during service changes on the (7).

The one going east is next to the bridge on the library side. The one going west is in this weird alley coming from 40th Road.

Even so, go to any neighborhood where new immigrants come in, and they'll likely be taking the subway.  Established immigrants however may opt for the more expensive services.  I see some Asians on the QM2 for example when I go out to Whitestone, but those areas of Northeast Queens (Whitestone, Malba, Beechhurst, Bayside and Bay Terrace) are upper middle class.

Even so, go to any neighborhood where new immigrants come in, and they'll likely be taking the subway.  Established immigrants however may opt for the more expensive services.  I see some Asians on the QM2 for example when I go out to Whitestone, but those areas of Northeast Queens (Whitestone, Malba, Beechhurst, Bayside and Bay Terrace) are upper middle class.

Flushing-Main Street is the 11th busiest subway station in New York. Even if a small fraction of those were to switch as part of the upgrade, it could easily vault the LIRR station into one of the higher-used ones on the LIRR.

Flushing_Main_St_LIRR_entrance_May_2015.

If this is what my local LIRR stop looked like, I wouldn't want to use it either.

Flushing-Main Street is the 11th busiest subway station in New York. Even if a small fraction of those were to switch as part of the upgrade, it could easily vault the LIRR station into one of the higher-used ones on the LIRR.

Flushing_Main_St_LIRR_entrance_May_2015.

If this is what my local LIRR stop looked like, I wouldn't want to use it either.

LMAO... I can't believe you even wrote that (in bold) considering how bad most subway stations look like.

But really most people that I see using the LIRR in Flushing are actually going to/from Long Island. Also, weekend usage has seemed to slowly increase after City Tickets were introduced. 

But really most people that I see using the LIRR in Flushing are actually going to/from Long Island. Also, weekend usage has seemed to slowly increase after City Tickets were introduced. 

So then if anything, perhaps they'll be an uptick in those riders.  I seem to meet more and more people who don't care for using the subway, and those people will take anything to avoid it.  

So then if anything, perhaps they'll be an uptick in those riders.  I seem to meet more and more people who don't care for using the subway, and those people will take anything to avoid it.  

Especially after today, I came into Flushing to only end up meeting a train with the glass smashed out. 

mta_zps66uzr5si.jpg

the platforms themselves aren't half bad actually, they actually refitted the platform railings a while back. Yeah if they made the station more noticable then its ridership would definitely increase

Jeez, that LIRR station looks like something out of a horror movie. And those stairs look incredibly tiring, even for a young, healthy guy like myself. Forget about the middle-aged or elderly...

For what it's worth, both of my MNRR stations have roughly about the same amount of stairs (the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations respectively).  I usually don't have to climb them though unless I take MNRR home and the Hudson Rail Link isn't running or I use MNRR on the weekends.  Perhaps the (MTA) should look into the idea of running a shuttle service to the station from certain parts of Queens.  The Hudson Rail Link has certainly helped ridership increase in Riverdale. The (MTA) did an ad campaign at numerous bus shelters in my neighborhood (Central Riverdale) around 2012 or so, and then moved down to Spuyten Duyvil along Kappock Street.  Both areas are fairly dense and affluent, so it made sense.  I'm sure that some of the Asians that are buying up in the area have the money for the LIRR.  In my area we have a small Asian population (some Japanese and some Koreans).  The Japanese especially use the express buses and to some extent MNRR.

For what it's worth, both of my MNRR stations have roughly about the same amount of stairs (the Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations respectively).  I usually don't have to climb them though unless I take MNRR home and the Hudson Rail Link isn't running or I use MNRR on the weekends.  Perhaps the (MTA) should look into the idea of running a shuttle service to the station from certain parts of Queens.  The Hudson Rail Link has certainly helped ridership increase in Riverdale. The (MTA) did an ad campaign at numerous bus shelters in my neighborhood (Central Riverdale) around 2012 or so, and then moved down to Spuyten Duyvil along Kappock Street.  Both areas are fairly dense and affluent, so it made sense.  I'm sure that some of the Asians that are buying up in the area have the money for the LIRR.  In my area we have a small Asian population (some Japanese and some Koreans).  The Japanese especially use the express buses and to some extent MNRR.

I mean, subway entrances tend to be covered and not a sketchy alleyway used to hold trash bags...

To be fair most stations that can have bus service already do, and for a station like Flushing all the buses in the area already go there. 

Especially after today, I came into Flushing to only end up meeting a train with the glass smashed out. 

Did they suspend service or something?

Since it's not graffiti I don't think they have to take it out of service, but in interest of keeping the subway clean it might be a good idea.

• 2 months later...

Archived