SILive: New South Ferry Station Entrance Reopening Next Month

Interesting news here to post.

SILive is reporting that the (MTA) will reopen the main entrance of the new South Ferry station on the (1) line damaged by Hurricane Sandy next month.

Link: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/south_ferry_subway_entrance_to.html

Can a moderator change the title please? Thanks.

Interesting news here to post.

SILive is reporting that the (MTA) will reopen the main entrance of the new South Ferry station on the (1) line damaged by Hurricane Sandy next month.

Link: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/south_ferry_subway_entrance_to.html

Can a moderator change the title please? Thanks.

I was confused when I saw the title.

Not really. The ten-car platform is still closed until further notice. Perhaps the MTA is finally trusting their conductors' ability to read the dozen or so signs at South Ferry and not open the rear five cars.

Is this for real? Could it be true? Are they actually making that much progress on the new station? Might it actually open before Cortlandt?

Easy there, they're only reopening the main entrance facing the ferry terminal (the one with the escalators and elevator). New SF is still closed indefinitely.

Incidentally, why has it taken Cortlandt St so long to be rebuilt anyway? What happened to it doesn't seem like a repair that should have taken almost 20 years.

It's because a certain politician demanded that the 9/11 Memorial debut by the tenth anniversary of the attacks. Had construction been better planned, the Cortlandt station would have been completed by now. The issue is that the 9/11 Memorial sits atop the line (sort of), which means that all construction materials must be delivered by rail alone, which slows down the whole project considerably.

It's actually more of a lack of inter-agency cooperation that's caused this project to take so long. Rather than building Cortlandt St along with the World Trade Center station and 1 World Trade Center above it all at once and billing the MTA for Cortlandt St, the Port Authority went ahead and built their projects and because the area is so small, the MTA couldn't get in there to get any significant work done for Cortlandt St. However, seeing the extreme costs of the World Trade Center PATH station, it may have been for the best.

A bit off-topic, is it true that relations between the MTA and contractors tend to be rough? Cause I saw an example of that in Wednesday's meeting.

Back on topic: I've noticed during my last field visit to South Ferry, the station canopies are much more different. They are no longer circular like they were when originally built.

A bit off-topic, is it true that relations between the MTA and contractors tend to be rough? Cause I saw an example of that in Wednesday's meeting.

Back on topic: I've noticed during my last field visit to South Ferry, the station canopies are much more different. They are no longer circular like they were when originally built.

Relations have always been rough between the state and contractors, the MTA being no exception. This is coming from a guy who does transportation research and has interned with one of the MPOs Upstate.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed during my last field visit to South Ferry, the station canopies are much more different. They are no longer circular like they were when originally built.

Is photography prohibited? Can you describe the changes at least?

Archived