Doubled Off-Peak Service to Melrose, Tremont Among Changes in New Metro-North Timetables, Effective 10/02

checkmatechamp13

http://www.mta.info/news-metro-north-hudson-line-harlem-line-new-haven-line-melrose-tremont/2016/09/26/new-metro-north

Seems reasonable to me. It helps reverse commuters who are trying to get up to areas like White Plains, as well as whatever commuters want to avoid the local bus-subway commute to/from those stations.

EDIT: Mods, can you have it say "Tremont" instead of just "Tre"? I'm not sure how to change it.

http://www.mta.info/news-metro-north-hudson-line-harlem-line-new-haven-line-melrose-tremont/2016/09/26/new-metro-north

Seems reasonable to me. It helps reverse commuters who are trying to get up to areas like White Plains, as well as whatever commuters want to avoid the local bus-subway commute to/from those stations.

EDIT: Mods, can you have it say "Tremont" instead of just "Tre"? I'm not sure how to change it.

I think you may have reached the limit on number of characters for the title.

Either way, this is good, as Bronx residents don't have to go to Fordham, if they are going to points northward (on the Harlem Line), and better connectivity. 

BTW, are these areas close to any of the gentrifying areas in The Bronx? If they are, then perhaps there might be some who may actually opt to take Metro North instead of the subway. Even with the peak fare, it's still cheaper than calling uber, or lyft (or other related services).

Either way, this is good, as Bronx residents don't have to go to Fordham, if they are going to points northward (on the Harlem Line), and better connectivity. 

BTW, are these areas close to any of the gentrifying areas in The Bronx? If they are, then perhaps there might be some who may actually opt to take Metro North instead of the subway. Even with the peak fare, it's still cheaper than calling uber, or lyft (or other related services).

Melrose is turning a corner, plus it has good ridership during the week with the court houses and law firms in the area (Bronx Defenders is just one block over from the station, and the County court house is a short walk/Bx6/Bx13 bus ride away.)

In that case, maybe change it to "Double Off-Peak Service to Melrose & Tremont, Effective 10/2/16"

It looks like they're already attempting to run some type of 30 minute service during rush hour, but point taken.

Obviously someone doesn't think commuters would need the new schedules ahead of time, since they're not posted yet (even though they include the direct link in that blurb). <_<

Yeah I actually wanted to see it too because my monthly pass runs out at the end of the month and I'm not sure what I'm doing yet for October.  Rather annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

In that case, maybe change it to "Double Off-Peak Service to Melrose & Tremont, Effective 10/2/16"

It looks like they're already attempting to run some type of 30 minute service during rush hour, but point taken.

The only thing MNR can do is to provide direct service to Connecticut.

One train per hour is "doubled"? Was it really a 2-hour headway before?

One train per hour is "doubled"? Was it really a 2-hour headway before?

Yes.

I had argued before that Tremont and Melrose should see hourly headways off-peak. The other thing I see more of is people traveling from Harlem 125th street to Grand Central and vice versa. It's 10 minutes and one stop, no stairs either unlike the subway which is deep and annoying. Then you factor in the meth heads and I can understand more and more people choosing Metro-North, especially if you have a pass or buy City Ticket. Despite what you (Truckie) say Metro-North should market the faster commute. With the ability to see in advance what track your train will be on it is really nice. I just walk over to whatever station, get on the train and I don't have to worry about a gazillion delays like the (4)(5)(6) has, which is almost every day per the (MTA) website. Melrose offers an advantage over the subway too, though the (MTA) doesn't want to admit it. You're at Harlem-125th street in less than 10 minutes while the subway requires a local bus ride (MUCH longer to get to Manhattan). Truckie says that people should use the subway for city commuting, but I'm sure you don't use the subway to see the insane crowding and delayed trains that crawl.

Archived