Staten Island commuter says he found needles on express bus

BM5 via Woodhaven

21196136-large.jpg

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.-- A Staten Island man says he found two needles on the express bus he was riding to work Tuesday morning.

"I was a little freaked out," said Drew, who only wished to give his first name. "I've been riding the bus for 20 years and this is the first time I've seen it."

Drew boarded the X15 bus bound for Manhattan at about 6 a.m. and went to the back of the bus to find a seat, he said. He then saw two needles wedged between a seat and the wall.

"I got a little worried because what if I sat on them or put my hand on them, if it was laying on the seat," he said. "Sometimes the drivers have the lights out on the bus."

Drew said he has seen baggies, whether it was for marijuana or other drugs, on the bus the past few years.

The bus route begins at the transit center in Eltingville, goes through Great Kills and Richmond before getting on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

He did not report the incident to the MTA or the bus driver.

Drew sent the photo to the Advance in response to an SILive.com article asking readers to send tips about the drug crisis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was from two days ago but still slightly alarming nevertheless.

Not surprised, Staten Island has a huge drug problem, heroin in particular, NatGeo show "Drugs, Inc" even had a episode about it.

Here's a link to the trailer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsm3T-AIgq8

I thought the price of the express bus would have kept them off since they need those extra dollars for drugs, but I guess some will manage to slip in.

From that picture, it doesn't look like there was any imminent risk of poking yourself with it. I can't even tell if the needles are still attached to the syringe from the picture. That said, they should have been removed when the bus' interior was cleaned (ha ha, I know, that never happens). 

There is the possibility that there was a non-heroin related reason for the needles (prescribed injectable meds are common), but even so no one should leave syringes lying around. 

21196136-large.jpg

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y.-- A Staten Island man says he found two needles on the express bus he was riding to work Tuesday morning.

"I was a little freaked out," said Drew, who only wished to give his first name. "I've been riding the bus for 20 years and this is the first time I've seen it."

Drew boarded the X15 bus bound for Manhattan at about 6 a.m. and went to the back of the bus to find a seat, he said. He then saw two needles wedged between a seat and the wall.

"I got a little worried because what if I sat on them or put my hand on them, if it was laying on the seat," he said. "Sometimes the drivers have the lights out on the bus."

Drew said he has seen baggies, whether it was for marijuana or other drugs, on the bus the past few years.

The bus route begins at the transit center in Eltingville, goes through Great Kills and Richmond before getting on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

He did not report the incident to the MTA or the bus driver.

Drew sent the photo to the Advance in response to an SILive.com article asking readers to send tips about the drug crisis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article was from two days ago but still slightly alarming nevertheless.

It's not smart to keep quiet about that. Even if he didn't want to delay his bus at the very least he could've said something when he got off.

From that picture, it doesn't look like there was any imminent risk of poking yourself with it. I can't even tell if the needles are still attached to the syringe from the picture. That said, they should have been removed when the bus' interior was cleaned (ha ha, I know, that never happens). 

There is the possibility that there was a non-heroin related reason for the needles (prescribed injectable meds are common), but even so no one should leave syringes lying around. 

I mean I've put my hand in weird places before on the prevost, it out of bad habbit. 

Soon as I saw the pic of those needles, it brought back a memory.... Happened inside the old movie theater inside Kings Plaza many moons ago.... A young "couple" were "making out; long story short, dude ending up sitting on a needle.... Turned out, he got infected with hepatitis (original news report had stated he got infected with HIV, but it turned out not to be case)....

Why wouldn't you report this? You'd think we'd all have "See something, say something" branded into our heads at this point.

Total ROFL..... almost peeing my pants over this comment (and I'm not into watersports).

You have GOT to be kidding -- people basically walk over dead bodies lying in the street and say nothing, because they're too busy with some tune in their ears or watching something (pron) to GAF about anything except themselves.

Maybe I missed your irony, but it's become "someone else's" problem.

THAT is the problem.  Because nobody wants to get involved because of a fear of those ambulance-chaser lawyers.

Which endangers everyone.

DUH.

(No offense to Bob, either.)

Total ROFL..... almost peeing my pants over this comment (and I'm not into watersports).

You have GOT to be kidding -- people basically walk over dead bodies lying in the street and say nothing, because they're too busy with some tune in their ears or watching something (pron) to GAF about anything except themselves.

THAT is the problem.  Because nobody wants to get involved because of a fear of those ambulance-chaser lawyers.

DUH.

Clearly this person isn't very smart if that's what they were trying to avoid, if they were going to give their full name to a local newspaper. This is the transit equivalent of the gossipy passive-aggressive neighbor.

Clearly this person isn't very smart if that's what they were trying to avoid, if they were going to give their full name to a local newspaper. This is the transit equivalent of the gossipy passive-aggressive neighbor.

Oh, totally got it, and I think you know that.

But it's part of "today's enlightened society" to shove-off responsibility onto someone else for fear of "being too nosy".

Total contradiction to the government's aims, but so be it.

DUH.

HAHAHAH this is totally true

With this being a topic about express buses, I'm surprised VG8 hasn't chimed in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

He's not obligated to say anything, frankly there are many things said about Flushing usually I have an answer, but half the time I'm not interested in responding, or what was said was so stupid I didn't care. 

Geez some of you treat VG8 like the Bloody Mary, say Express Bus 3x in the mirror at night and he'll appear. 

He's not obligated to say anything, frankly there are many things said about Flushing usually I have an answer, but half the time I'm not interested in responding, or what was said was so stupid I didn't care. 

Geez some of you treat VG8 like the Bloody Mary, say Express Bus 3x in the mirror at night and he'll appear.

It makes express buses look less safe.

With this being a topic about express buses, I'm surprised VG8 hasn't chimed in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I saw it but didn't have much to say other than I'm not all that surprised. There was a reason I left Staten Island. I could see it changing and not for the better. The express buses were our safe haven on Staten Island, but with all of those people moving there, it seems as if anything goes.

To be fair.....it has happened :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived