Which if any artic routes should go back to 40 footers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

Sacrebleu!  What is this treason against the Mother MTA?!?!????

Second-guessing these things?  Why, everything Mother decides is correct!  Who is this heretic?

Oodles of sarcasm dripping there, just in case some of the throng missed it, but quite an interesting point.

Revert the B44+ SBS back to Limited and run via New York Avenue. Artics need to be on the B41/B46. Not the 44.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The SBS should remain just using some 40 footers during the off peak. 

The Bx4 and Bx22 can get away with 40 footers most of the time IMO. I think the rest of the artic routes are fine as they are now.

But on the flip side, the Bx12's and M15's of the world should have some of these bad boys:

gallery_29451_97_26586.jpg

The dwell times with that thing must be enormous.

That thing probably has 6 or 7 portals.  Never mind the turning radius in NYC...

In general, double deck buses have terrible dwell time since you have to go down the stairs.

Also, if you thought moving to the back of the bus was shitty now, imagine what it would be like in this thing.

In general, double deck buses have terrible dwell time since you have to go down the stairs.

Also, if you thought moving to the back of the bus was shitty now, imagine what it would be like in this thing.

Agreed with you on both points. Probably why the Astromega didn't cut it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The SBS should remain just using some 40 footers during the off peak. 

B44 and B46 would be better off swapping fleet IMO

That double decker bus (if the turning radius wasn't an issue) could be used for like a super SBS where stops are 25-50 blocks apart.

Bee-Lines

4 (exclusively artic)

5 (exclusively artic)

On high headways like those on most Bee Line routes, more frequent service should always be used to increase capacity before you even think about adding artics. Run those some of those routes every 10-15 minutes instead of 30-60 minutes and your crowding problems will go away fast.

The only routes that should really be running artics would be the #20, and maybe the routes between the (1) and Getty Square. 

Run that on the S42.

Not sure what the joke is referring to. The turns, or the relatively low ridership of the S42. 

He's also missing:

Bx13

M31/57 (During rush hours)

M66

M100

Q30 (Rush hours)

Q60

To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Q30...ehh, it kinda empties out at Union Turnpike and a bit further north. No need.

Q60, no need, especially with how bad they tend to bunch at times.

M100, they occassionally run artics.

M66, no need, same reason as the Q60.

M31/M57, they used to run artics on the M31 every now and then, but because of the route swaps and such, that doesn't happen anymore. I think it was because of the increase in trips.

Based on ridership, there are really no routes that need to be converted back to standard 40 foot buses.

B44+ needs to stay as is.

B46+ needs to stay as is and the local needs artics bad.

B41 service is so down right horribly bad right now that artics are not needed and will not help the situation. The line needs to be restructured. Adding artics will increase headways on a route anyone who rides regularly like myself tries to avoid like the plague.

Q44 frequently use 40 footers over night.

M23 uses 40 footers at times as well.

Bx2 needs to stay artic because it's interlined with the Bx1.

Bx39 does not need artics at night.

Based on ridership, there are really no routes that need to be converted back to standard 40 foot buses.

B44+ needs to stay as is.

B46+ needs to stay as is and the local needs artics bad.

B41 service is so down right horribly bad right now that artics are not needed and will not help the situation. The line needs to be restructured. Adding artics will increase headways on a route anyone who rides regularly like myself tries to avoid like the plague.

Q44 frequently use 40 footers over night.

M23 uses 40 footers at times as well.

Bx2 needs to stay artic because it's interlined with the Bx1.

Bx39 does not need artics at night.

How would you restructure B41 service?

Archived