MTA plans to extend M1 to Worth St

GojiMet86

Don't recall seeing this plan before.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2016/10/25/mta-to-extend-m1-bus-route-south-to-worth-st/

BY DENNIS LYNCH

The MTA plans to extend the M1 bus route to Worth Street by next spring.

Instead of turning back uptown on Lafayette St. from E. 8th St., the M1 will continue down E. 8th St. and turn downtown on Third Ave., onto Bowery, turn west onto Worth St. and the head uptown on Centre St. to continue onto Lafayette St. and get back to the existing route. The extension is just under a mile long, MTA reps told Community Board 1’s Seaport Committee on Oct. 18.

Committee members raised concerns about how construction further west on Worth St. could affect service and worried that buses could make it dangerous for bikers on Worth Street. An MTA representative said the agency would consider potential service disrupters and will work with other city departments to ensure Worth St. remains safe for bikers, although did not elaborate on particular measures it could take to do so.

One city employee who works at the civic center predicted that court-goers, particularly elderly folks, will benefit the most from the extension.

“With people coming down for court and older people coming for jury duty, you can get right off here and go to the court. You don’t have to walk over from the 1 train,” Dilys Rubizzi said. “And sometimes people like to be outside, they don’t want to deal with the train, like tourists for example, they’ll want to see things and they can hop right off.”

Every other bus will make the extended loop on weekdays and every bus will take it on weekends. The MTA expects buses to run every 16–24 minutes on at weekdays, and every 12–20 minutes on weekends, depending on the time of day. The extension will not alter the frequency of buses on the existing M1 route, an MTA spokesman said.

The extended M1 will supplement the M103 bus that runs on the Bowery and join the M22 during its short trip on Worth Street. It will be the only city bus traveling in either direction on Lafayette Street.

m1-bus-extension-2016-11-03-map.jpg

What is up with that map? The existing M1 (left) is nothing close to that, and having 8th Street sideways is bizarre. I can't make out what they have in mind--the current routing is a simple run to 4th Ave, Park, and then Madison. Maybe they messed up the dotted and solid lines? But then why the angle?

This is a waste. The M1 already runs like crap as it is. I don't see the extended buses providing good service given how backed up 5th can be at times. Weekend service should be better, save holidays when traffic in Midtown is a mess. In short you'd be better off taking the subway unless you have serious time to wait. 

Better yet, wouldn't it be better to leave the M1 alone and run the M55 up to 59th Street (and call it M6)?

I agree, just put back the f**king M6. Jesus Christ, all this BS just to avoid what is the real solution. M1, M5 M6 should just go back to what they were before the cuts. 

I remember the M1 going all the way down, cutting across Worth like that, coming up from the south, along Park Row. (Remember catching one of the former Staten Island express fishbowls on Centre, back when they had spread them all around, in their last days).

Wasn't it 9-11 and the closure of Park Row that got it cut back in the first place? 

this routing is kind of wierd but isn't bowery both ways?

The M103 already uses Bowery.

Why would you stick two bus lines on Bowery?

That happened before and failed miserably with the M101 and M102! Hence why we have an M103!

Yes Bowery is a two way street. Is the M103 that bad south of 8 St? I mean why can't it supplement this new M55?

Bowery south of 8th Street can be a nightmare thanks to Houston Street, and sometimes, Delancey and Canal.

They split the M5 because it's too long, then they extend the M1. Bloody hell....

To be fair, the M1 was originally longer, as it used to terminate at South Ferry. The M3/M101 will return as the longest routes in Manhattan when this is all said and done.

I agree, just put back the f**king M6. Jesus Christ, all this BS just to avoid what is the real solution. M1, M5 M6 should just go back to what they were before the cuts. 

They should just own their mistake. Ruining the M5 is incredibly stupid. Nobody wants a bus to 37th Street and the tourist hacks shops, and Union/GV/Houston is a much more important terminus, especially for the Wash. Heights/UWS group on that bus. Plus, 6th Avenue could use actual Limited service again, more than just a stub.

They should just own their mistake. Ruining the M5 is incredibly stupid. Nobody wants a bus to 37th Street and the tourist hacks shops, and Union/GV/Houston is a much more important terminus, especially for the Wash. Heights/UWS group on that bus. Plus, 6th Avenue could use actual Limited service again, more than just a stub.

I'm wondering if when all is said and done with the M5 will they even keep the LTD? The LTD barely does anything on Bway and doesn't even run on Riverdale Dr. And of course when the M5 gets cut, 6 and 5 Av LTD service will be a waste, especially when there's the M2 and (B)(D)(F)(M).

I'm wondering if when all is said and done with the M5 will they even keep the LTD? The LTD barely does anything on Bway and doesn't even run on Riverdale Dr. And of course when the M5 gets cut, 6 and 5 Av LTD service will be a waste, especially when there's the M2 and (B)(D)(F)(M).

They'll keep the Limited, seeing that the North end of the route got an extension of sorts.

They should just terminate the M5 at the old Houston Street terminal it once had.

I remember the M1 going all the way down, cutting across Worth like that, coming up from the south, along Park Row. (Remember catching one of the former Staten Island express fishbowls on Centre, back when they had spread them all around, in their last days).

Wasn't it 9-11 and the closure of Park Row that got it cut back in the first place? 

It was the 2010 service reductions. 9/11 may have gotten it rerouted from Vesey Street/Park Row to Worth Street (I'm not sure offhand), but it still went down to South Ferry.

They're having overlap between 31st Street & 44th Street and as a result, 88% of the current riders won't have to transfer and will benefit from the more reliable service. (And I'm sure some of those riders that need to ride through the split can take the M7 or the M1/2/3 if they want a one-seat ride). 

The old M/1 (New York Omnibus later Fifth Avenue Coach) ran from 146th Street to City Hall and it went south on Park Avenue, Fourth Avenue (now known as Park Avenue South), Lafayette Street (return on Centre Street) to City Hall. When Lafayette Street north of Cleveland Place was changed to one way southbound in the early 1960's, it was rerouted to Broadway and the portion on Park Avenue south of 39th Street to 23rd Street would later be eliminated as the route was shifted to 5th Avenue. 

When  the M/1 was extended to South Ferry and rerouted through Worth Street, I would ride it to 42nd Street. It was an enjoyable and fast ride to midtown Manhattan and whenever I had to go to Midtown from the ferry, I would usually take the M/1 over the M/6. The extension of the M/5 to South Ferry made absolutely no sense whatsoever as it was far too long. It should have been left terminating at Houston Street and should return to that terminal.

A side note as I remember riding the route from Howard Street (my father worked at 148 Lafayette Street) over a half a century ago and ironically, I remember the bus that I rode northbound as it was an old look bus with this strange looking back. Later on I would see it again and remember it. It was 3100 which is preserved today. 

In the (MTA)'s world, "this is a service improvement, not a restoration" SMH

The M103 already uses Bowery.

Why would you stick two bus lines on Bowery?

That happened before and failed miserably with the M101 and M102! Hence why we have an M103!

Bowery south of 8th Street can be a nightmare thanks to Houston Street, and sometimes, Delancey and Canal.

To be fair, the M1 was originally longer, as it used to terminate at South Ferry. The M3/M101 will return as the longest routes in Manhattan when this is all said and done.

I thought Delancey and Canal would be more problematic than Houston since they lead to bridges (Manny and Willy) and a tunnel (Holland)

This...

You mean Riverside Dr lol

They'll keep the Limited, seeing that the North end of the route got an extension of sorts.

They should just terminate the M5 at the old Houston Street terminal it once had.

Totally agree. Extending the M5 to SF was the worse decision ever. LTD service doesn't even start until 14th! I was considering having the M1 go down Broadway to Worth and then go up Lafayette towards Harlem. That would be better

You have to be convinced at this point that (local) bus service is purposely being f***ed up.....

It's past the point of the MTA not owning up to their mistakes...

Looking at that picture in the OP, I barely have words.... Cutting across 8th, to get to Bowery of all places...

Your choice - a pillow or a guillotine....

Archived